Please help me get my old school records.

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

...If anyone was involved who was a Catholic priest, I was not told that/he did not say so here. Yes, at one point t there was a prospect of rwgistratration across town and I wanted a ride, for support and encouragement. I still think that was a valid desire.
IIRC, the " no-longer-having-access " to that counselor got in the wY, and my physical problems - and the counselor pro lens were because issues with person/s at the apartment where the counselor was led to me being evicted from there, which cut off my access to the counselor. Given sufficient time and build-up, and better physical circumstances, I think the connection to the counselor could have led to going to cc The statistic is that almost any American can access a considerable amount of grant,/etc. money, and given that any such money I accessed was decades ago, if I did any at all, and I would certainly count as a prime candidate for " rehabilitation " money (and, furthermore, I believe that San Francisco Community College is quite cheap if not free) , I felt - and the counselor agreed - that plenty of grant money for immediate cc would be available for me.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2017, 6:05 pm

I thought you said the other day you would go to school in Seattle? Because there were too many obstacles in SF? SFCC is the same place you were complaining about nobody wanting to give you a ride/help/support/whatever when you were talking about this months ago.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:32 pm

...My health might keep me prisoner here, where I have some among of established help (and Seattle is ultra-hilly @ ##-with my crippledness - and maybe is too rainy/doesn
't have enough sunlight. I'll admit I didn't spell if out here before -.Perhaps I'd stay here and perhaps I'd aim for City College of San Francisco )CCSF) again. Isn't that the sortr of " being practical " that those such as you ate supposed to be impressed with?
Well, maybe others, you just care about whether I fill out the form all on my own, zI guess. :arrow:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:55 pm

...Briefly, I did not want anyone to take tests for me. When registration at CCSF was a possibility , I did want a ride to that first registration, for support/back-up/accompniment
My health status rather got on the way, including problems related to conditions at the " temporary stabilization room " (with no tenant rights) O was in then - Including my eviction , which happened because who disliked me decided to complain against me, under rules where three complaints against you would get you thrown out. He did so, and so I was, and, IITC, that really Co.pletely detailed the CCSF registration (Cutting me off from that con selor too, remember.) so I do not feel that I " f :arrow: :arrow: ailed to follow up " on registering, and besides encouragement and I guess Mess's records help, nobody offered me any help with that planned registration.

shariel"]We've been through this before, and unfortunately this is not the only roadblock to getting into college. I agree that the transcript situation seems difficult (if not impossible at this point), and from our last go-around on this topic, it's evident you lack the ability to make phone calls, fill out applications, or attend orientation meetings on your own.

My concerns at this point are:
- Even if WP members do manage to get you accepted, how do you plan to pay for the courses?
- Attending school full-time demonstrates that you are NOT disabled, and could affect your SSDI status

I understand that it's difficult for you to operate outside of the few city blocks you're familiar with (and no judgment here, as I have the exact same problem) - but how do you plan to deal with getting to classes every day, if they are outside of your normal 'stomping grounds'? Given your history of frequent hospitalizations, is it reasonable to believe that you will be able to follow through with the classes, and not wind up in the hospital again?

I wasn't able to finish my schooling either, due to physical and mental health issues, and have never been able to hold down any kind of job, or maintain any kind of independence or stability. I too was raped as a teenager, abused by an alcoholic foster father, and have suffered from severe PTSD my entire adult life. I know it's tough, and I feel for you.

But I also feel it's beyond the scope of this forum to provide the sort of hands-on help that you need. We are here to provide encouragement and moral support, and can help with internet research and certain logistics, but when it comes to actually filling out applications, going to orientation meetings, attending classes - that has to be on you. And I know you think we're being 'fanatic' in our 'narrative' of this 'fairy-tale' notion, but it's simply the reality of the situation.

That being said, it concerns me that you've felt suicidal over this issue, and I certainly don't want to make you feel any worse. I'm no stranger to suicidal feelings either, and would never want things to end for you that way. I wish I could convince you that there is no shame in never having finished college, and that there is great honor and dignity in making the best of difficult circumstances - because that's truly how I feel.

If I could wave my magic wand and make college happen for you, I would. But based on what happened last time around, I think you really need someone locally, who can hold your hand, be a shoulder to cry on, physically be there to help you fill out the application, and drive you to your orientation meetings. It seems that level of help is needed, to achieve your dream of attending college, and you need to find someone who actually lives in SF, rather than asking WP members who live hundreds and thousands of miles away.

Several attempts have been made by WP members to set you up with various outreach programs there in SF - including one Catholic priest who truly cared on a deep religious level, and wanted to help you - but you never followed through, because it wasn't in your usual stomping grounds, and involved a bus ride across town. And it's exactly that sort of behavior that makes would-be helpers give up in defeat, feeling like their efforts are completely wasted.

I'm not certain why I'm getting involved (again), because as many others have said, I ultimately don't think I can help you. But I also find myself unable to look away from your situation, and stop caring what becomes of you, and so here I am once again. And I feel for the dozen or so WP members who have earnestly tried to help you in the past, only to become frustrated by your lack of follow-through, so I don't want to see that happening again, to well-meaning newcomers who don't know the history of your situation.

It's a complicated situation, and I apologize if what I wrote was completely unhelpful. I've been silent on WP in general for the past few months, feeling like what I have to offer is not wanted here, so I'll probably just go back to lurking. But I do wish you the best as always, and I'm glad that you seem to be doing better for the moment. I hope your health continues to improve, and that one day you DO prove me wrong, by following through with the help that's offered, and getting yourself into a better situation, whatever that might be.

Take care, and sorry once again for the long, rambling, and probably unhelpful post.[/quote]

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...My health might keep me prisoner here, where I have some among of established help (and Seattle is ultra-hilly @ ##-with my crippledness - and maybe is too rainy/doesn
't have enough sunlight. I'll admit I didn't spell if out here before -.Perhaps I'd stay here and perhaps I'd aim for City College of San Francisco )CCSF) again. Isn't that the sortr of " being practical " that those such as you ate supposed to be impressed with?
Well, maybe others, you just care about whether I fill out the form all on my own, zI guess. :arrow:

Your sarcasm is kind of wasted on me, I only asked why the change in plan because 2 months ago San Francisco was like hell on earth according to you. Do whatever you like.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 6:54 pm

...I done remember, What, these attempts to set me up were. Perhaps I refused to take a ride across town, or perhaps it was more complicated than than?? As I think I said, I didn't have a phone at all then, IIRC, I do now but a rather low-end one. Again about the 2016 attempt by me to apply to CCSF:
I got as far as I did due to having help with applying from the counselor at the temporary room place.
Presumably, this alone would make it illegitimate in Om's eyes.
The complaint led to me being thrown out. I had no more access to the counselor then. That aside, there were environmental problems with the room, which I'm sure I wrote of here - Excessive light in my eyes (even with a sleep mask and the shutters closed) leaving my eyes bedazzled/with blind spots, and what might have been old paint with lead-mercury-other old chemicals in what was an old building leaving me feeling groggy/woozy - Ifelt those things, and they both went away after I left the building. IIRC, the registration for CCSF was scheduled for after I was gone from the building.
I will also say that, yes, I wanted some accompaniment when I went to the CCSF registration, when I thougt that I would. I wanted someone to come along with me, to introduce me to a new world.
I DID NOT AT ALL! :x want people to take tests for me - Why do people repeat that ? I did want a little back-up in knowing where to go, say, and a first trip to ( I guess it was at) the CCSF campus to get an idea how to get there in the future - Yes, I wanted " a ride and a shoulder " - to take me into the new world :cry: Yes, and cry , too (As - real tearing! - I have here, while writing this.) - over what I missed, when I was the proper, or at least close to it age, even as I went on to something new.
Maybe this offends someone's rugged indidualism Herbert Hoover/Ayn Rand/Chuck Norris sense of what the crip, here, is supposed to do :? ??

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jun 2017, 7:00 pm

I fully understand your wanting accompaniment and/or a ride to that place. I feel a very strong need for somebody to come with me for every appointment I get. I understand the feeling and for you it might be worse. But you are tenacious - some day it will come through for you!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 10:10 pm

...There has been no description from you or anyone else regarding what these " outreach programs - which I wouldn't take a bus across town for " and I don't remember that .
(It's not the 2016 didn't-happen refusing toe CVDF, which I discussed above.)

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2017, 3:17 am

You seem to be finding the shelter and whatever else you need so just keep on doing what you're doing.

You are the captain of your own ship.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 12:57 am

...Your argument is a false one. I received the shelter bed because my worker/s intervened for me, set it up. I would not have received the shelter bed had they not intervend, I would not have received it (or received something else that made it more bearable) had I showed up cold. Likewise, past attempts by me following your " do it all alone " recommenation simply turned out disasterously, they blew up in my face.

niel"]You seem to be finding the shelter and whatever else you need so just keep on doing what you're doing.

You are the captain of your own ship.[/quote]

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 1:31 am

At the CCSF main website...

1. Click on "Future Students" in the black tab in the upper left of the page.
2. Click on "Apply to become a credit student"

This gives you a list of the process of becoming a student.

1. Apply for Admission and Financial Aid
2. Take a Placement Test *
3. Attend New Student Orientation *
4. Meet with a Counselor *
5. Register for Classes

Steps 2, 3, and 4 can be done on the same day.

Before accepting financial aid, if you receive SSI or SSDI, you need to call the SSA, ask to speak to someone with the PASS Program, and find out what aid you can accept without impacting your SSI or SSDI.

You probably won't need financial aid for actual tuition because you likely qualify for a tuition waiver, called a BOG waiver, or Board of Governors waiver.

After you gain student status, you should contact the Disabled Students Programs and Services to see what disability accommodations, if any, that you qualify for. You will have to provide proof of the disability, but they will tell you what type of proof you need.

I do not see anywhere in the SFCC application or registration process where your high school transcripts are required. If you have discovered otherwise, please send me the link to where this is stated on their website.

There is also a program that SFCC offers called Homeless At-Risk Transitional Students Program (HART) which seems to be aimed at assisting people in your situation. You should look into it.

I understand that this is a big step for you and you want someone to go with you to the college for moral support, and perhaps so you won't feel so disoriented in a new environment, but don't let your inability to find someone to do this become an obstacle to you. You might not feel like it, but I've read your posts, and you are a resilient person and I think you should give yourself credit for that.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:08 am

...Thank you. I'll see what I can do. I already have signed up for a CCSF account at least once in the past so I don't know how that would affect things now.
I still feel there is no way in the world I could apply 100% alone, no matter what Om says, espcially for the grants/money, and I'd pretty much rule out being able to set it up for the autumn semester - and my health, now, is pretty marginal, an application by me might be based more on the projection/hope that I would get better by then.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:27 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Thank you. I'll see what I can do. I already have signed up for a CCSF account at least once in the past so I don't know how that would affect things now.
I still feel there is no way in the world I could apply 100% alone, no matter what Om says, espcially for the grants/money, and I'd pretty much rule out being able to set it up for the autumn semester - and my health, now, is pretty marginal, an application by me might be based more on the projection/hope that I would get better by then.

Well you're not really 100% on your own. You do have people who can walk you through the process as I've done above, and in person support once you actually get on a bus and go down to the college.

Why though, do you feel that you can't do it 100% on your own? I'm not asking to invalidate you, I just want a better understanding of your struggles. Is it that the process seems very involved for you or some other thing?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 5:04 am

...Would a modern-day 17-yr old, wbo is what the whole system caters to, and is likely well in tune with the whole making applications world, and the modern tecbnology, and likely hasn't been spat upon repeatedly by the CIC as I have :cry:
, be expected and have it be thought that s/he should and can do it all by themselves? That person with likely most of their life ahead of them :(? That person with youth abd energy and bope whose applicatio, whether accepted or not, will not likely have it dumped in the circular file - as mine was.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Would a modern-day 17-yr old, wbo is what the whole system caters to, and is likely well in tune with the whole making applications world, and the modern tecbnology, and likely hasn't been spat upon repeatedly by the CIC as I have :cry:
, be expected and have it be thought that s/he should and can do it all by themselves? That person with likely most of their life ahead of them :(? That person with youth abd energy and bope whose applicatio, whether accepted or not, will not likely have it dumped in the circular file - as mine was.

I don't know how the typical modern day 17 year old would fare if they had to navigate the system on their own. But my question was, what specifically do you feel makes it difficult for you?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 5:50 am

...I am pushing this back up, to be able to readily recheck the CCSF possibility details.