Smoking on the balcony in a non-smoking apartment complex

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 5:55 pm

Do like the stoners do and use a "doob tube". It's when you take a toilet paper tube, stuff it full of dryer sheets, and blow your smoke through it. It's supposed to help get rid of the smell when you're smoking weed, though I don't know how well it works for normal cigarettes.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 6:04 pm

The air outside belongs to everyone. Smoke if you want. The b***h can't see you, she won't know where its coming from. You can't let whiny pusses bully you and make your life miserable. If they don't like it, there's plenty of clean reprocessed air inside.

Tolerance means getting along and allowing everyone a fair chance to be themselves. Prissy, sphincter-clenching non-smokers cannot be allowed to rule the entire g-damn planet. It's OUTDOORS, for gods' sakes. They don't own OUTDOORS.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm

will@rd wrote:
The air outside belongs to everyone. Smoke if you want. The b***h can't see you, she won't know where its coming from. You can't let whiny pusses bully you and make your life miserable. If they don't like it, there's plenty of clean reprocessed air inside.

As stated previously, cigarette smoke from outside often finds it way inside through gaps in windows and doors and through ventilation in takes.

will@rd wrote:
Tolerance means getting along and allowing everyone a fair chance to be themselves. Prissy, sphincter-clenching non-smokers cannot be allowed to rule the entire g-damn planet. It's OUTDOORS, for gods' sakes. They don't own OUTDOORS.

When renters sign leases to rent in non-smoking dwellings, they are typically entering into a legal agreement not to smoke anywhere on the premises. If you, as a smoker, wish to smoke on the premises, then it's your responsibility to find a dwelling in which smoking on the premises is permitted.

I find cigarette smoke particularly noxious so had I owned a building or house and had reason to believe someone was smoking on the premises, I would not hesitate to evict the offender.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 6:54 am

Also, this is a question of an activity that produces smoke/fumes which are actually proven to cause illness and death to the people not even engaging in it but simply breathing the smoke that may come in from the "outside".

This isn't about being "prissy" -- this is actually a health issue. It's not like someone doesn't like the smell of someone's cologne, or that they can smell their wet dog from the balcony . . .

It's a cancer causing substance that they have chosen not to ingest and are being made to ingest.

It's been proven that "second hand smoke" can cause cancer and death. If that smoke from outside is coming into another person's apartment it's not just a question of 'oh how annoying!' -- it's affecting that person's health in a measurable way.

They're not just being a-holes about it, they have a legal standing to not want to have that enter their space, and indeed even from a lease standpoint.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 9:14 am

Yep....smoking on a balcony can start a fire--especially if you fall asleep on a lawn chair or something.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 2:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....smoking on a balcony can start a fire

so can needlessly aggressive confrontations between neighbors.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm

One of my relatives apartment complex allowed smoking,but no grilling on the deck.Go figure.
I'm a smoker,but try to be tolerant and realize that my smoke can make some people ill.Kids with asthma sure don't need to be around it.Id use an e-cig in that situation.Vuse is the one that tastes the best IMO.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:17 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
you could eat your cigarettes.

you could not be an ass :D

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:22 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Do like the stoners do and use a "doob tube". It's when you take a toilet paper tube, stuff it full of dryer sheets, and blow your smoke through it. It's supposed to help get rid of the smell when you're smoking weed, though I don't know how well it works for normal cigarettes.

That really only works for a pipe or bong..wouldn't even work well for a joint let alone a cigarette because those burn the whole time so are releasing smoke even between puffs.

But maybe a fan on the patio to blow the smoke away from the building would help. Or would be kind of a hassle but maybe going outside the apartment building and standing at some distance away.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....smoking on a balcony can start a fire--especially if you fall asleep on a lawn chair or something.

That is why you use an ashtray and make sure you put the cigarette out when you're done with it. And I think most who smoke are aware you should be conscious while smoking your cigarette.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:35 pm

Chronos wrote:
will@rd wrote:

As stated previously, cigarette smoke from outside often finds it way inside through gaps in windows and doors and through ventilation in takes.

will@rd wrote:

When renters sign leases to rent in non-smoking dwellings, they are typically entering into a legal agreement not to smoke anywhere on the premises. If you, as a smoker, wish to smoke on the premises, then it's your responsibility to find a dwelling in which smoking on the premises is permitted.

I find cigarette smoke particularly noxious so had I owned a building or house and had reason to believe someone was smoking on the premises, I would not hesitate to evict the offender.

It doesn't sound like this was an issue of smoke getting back into the building(not sure where any of you are getting that this is the issue at hand) also I'd think the ventilation system is pretty crappy if smoke and crap from outside can get in so easily. Either way that wasn't even the issue the issue is, the woman aggressively screamed because she caught a whiff of cigarette smoke outside.

Also to my knowledge most non-smoking apartments mean not inside...kind of false advertising if the place doesn't specify 'nowhere on the premisis' if that is the policy...that actually is not just assumed unless it is specifically stated. Most buildings are non-smoking and you can still smoke outside.

If the person signs a no smoking lease that means they agree not to smoke inside...if its nowhere on the premises that needs to be specified in the lease or its misleading.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:44 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Also, this is a question of an activity that produces smoke/fumes which are actually proven to cause illness and death to the people not even engaging in it but simply breathing the smoke that may come in from the "outside".

This isn't about being "prissy" -- this is actually a health issue. It's not like someone doesn't like the smell of someone's cologne, or that they can smell their wet dog from the balcony . . .

It's a cancer causing substance that they have chosen not to ingest and are being made to ingest.

It's been proven that "second hand smoke" can cause cancer and death. If that smoke from outside is coming into another person's apartment it's not just a question of 'oh how annoying!' -- it's affecting that person's health in a measurable way.

They're not just being a-holes about it, they have a legal standing to not want to have that enter their space, and indeed even from a lease standpoint.

Being outside isn't the same thing as smoke coming into your home. If you live in a populated area you're going to smell smoke from time to time, there's car exaust and crap going on ect...if you can't stand that ever being outside then you probably need to seal yourself into a bubble.

Also you don't die or get cancer from catching a wiff of smoke, in the outside air from time to time, you'd need more constant exposure to second hand smoke for that.

And we don't even know what exactly this lease says, what if smoking on the patio is just fine according to the apartment management and they side with the OP?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:32 pm

A balcony is part of an apartment is part of the unit and thus when a lease states it's a no smoking unit, it includes the balcony. Smoke absolutely does make it's way in through the small cracks in windows and air conditioner intakes. This is why my work place bans smoking on the premises even outside. People were standing near the intakes smoking and this caused problems.

It's not so much an issue of cancer for people who wish to not be exposed to cigarette smoke. Quite honestly, it makes me sick. A small amount triggers severe acid reflux for me which damages my esophagus and I once aspirated the acid into my lungs, which could have been life threatening. I intentionally look for housing that explicitly states no smoking and when I find it, I expect other tenants to honor that clause of the lease.

I would not rent in a building that allows smoking and then complain about cigarette smoke. I respect and don't intrude upon smoking spaces so I think smokers should respect non-smoking spaces and not intrude upon them.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 6:00 am

Quote:
"Also you don't die or get cancer from catching a wiff of smoke, in the outside air from time to time, you'd need more constant exposure to second hand smoke for that."

Maybe I'm wrong but in the original post it sounded like the OP had been making a regular DAILY habit of smoking on her balcony, and if that was the case, the angry outburst from the neighbor may have been pent up from many times of not saying anything but finding that the smoke was wafting in.

If the smoking on the balcony was or is a daily occurrence, then it isn't just a "wiff of smoke from time to time," is it?

It would be a daily exposure, and yes, over time second-hand-smokers can become ill. Look up the effects of passive smoking.

There was recently a campaign here in the UK that showed how cigarette smoke insidiously travels much farther and more voluminously than we can even smell it.

I'm not going to look for links as I don't have the time to sit here trying to convince people who are in denial of how insidiously dangerous even a small amount of regular passive exposure can be when if they only dropped their denial they could look it up themselves and get a view of the other realities about their habit.

And I notice that smokers ALWAYS bring up the car emissions argument, like that makes it ANY better that their smoke is adding to all that?

Oh, right, so just because we all also daily breathe in exhaust fumes from cars, then we might as well just carry on having to breathe people's cigarette smoke too?

Nice logic. . .

Two wrongs don't make a right in the crap the rest of us have to breathe, so the traffic exhaust fume defence is really lame.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 4:48 pm

The balcony is part of the apartment; smoke can get in the other apartments trough windows like that.
The old lady was quite rude, true, but she was right, you shouldn't be smoking on the balcony either.

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2017, 4:21 pm

Smoking outside, near other people's apartments is worse than smoking in your own apartment with the windows closed. It imposes the smoke on everyone who lives nearby.

You have a right to your drug. But do you think that your neighbors don't have a right to not have it imposed on them?

If you must smoke, stay indoors and close the windows.

You say you aren't permitted to smoke in your apartment? I wonder why. Could it be because some people don't like the way it smells? If people don't want their carpet and draperies to smell like cigarette smoke, do you think they want those choking fumes coming in their window?

If you aren't allowed to smoke indoors, then pay your landlord, in advance, a "decontamination-fee", to cover, in advance, the cost of decontaminating your apartment after you move out.

I assure you that, for a nonsmoker, cigarette smoke coming in the window is choking, gagging.

By the way, why do you smoke?

You've been taught that it's sophisticated, that's why.

...even "non-conformist", ...to be "non-conformist" just like everyone else in the crowd.

Cigarette companies have spent millions, on psychologists and market research, to find out how to psychologically manipulate you into smoking. Their ads have convinced you by portraying people who smoke as sophisticated, cool, and non-conformist. Hence all of you nonconformists being herded, together, following eachother and the ads.

Those psychologist-advised tobacco companies are leading you by the nose.

Michael829