Smoking on the balcony in a non-smoking apartment complex

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2017, 3:05 pm

I live in a 1bedroom apartment on the 20th floor with a private balcony, and I'm pretty sure by the non-smoking rule, it means nowhere within the apartment.

Anyway, I went out for a smoke on my balcony as usual, and as soon as I sat down in my chair, I heard a (presumably older lady) yell from below,

'STOP THE CIGARETTES- as*hole!'.

Well, that was pretty rude. I ended up sitting for a while instead of smoking, pretty miffed. I don't throw butts over the railing or anything like that, so I think she was just complaining about the smoke or w/e.

I smoke less than half a (25) pack a day, so it's not like I'm outside chain smoking all of the time.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 3:25 pm

Moccu wrote:
I'm pretty sure by the non-smoking rule, it means nowhere within the apartment.

i'm quite sure that is correct.

some responses?
"go back inside, as*hole"
"then move out, as*hole"
"complain to management, as*hole"

eh. i mean i get being bothered by cigarette smoke. but if it bothers her that much perhaps apartment living is not for her.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2017, 3:38 pm

seaweed wrote:
Moccu wrote:

some responses?
"then move out, as*hole"

eh. i mean i get being bothered by cigarette smoke. but if it bothers her that much perhaps apartment living is not for her.

It's a pretty large balcony (the length of my living room, maybe 4-5'' wide from wall to the railing) with cement walls on either side, extending beyond the railing. The balconies/units are pretty spread out from each other, the one above me starting from 7'' (so ceiling height).

If she had actually told me the reason why the smoke was bothering her, rather than just calling me an as*hole, then maybe I wouldn't want to be an as*hole right now by smoking while she's out regardless. She seems to be home or sit out a lot, so some of my smoking during the day can't be avoided.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 8:02 am

Check your lease.

My friend's apartment has the clause if you have numerous complaints filed, you lease will not be renewed.

After third compliant, management talks to you. After the 6th one, you get a non renewal notice. So many people want non smoking places, the complex has no problems finding people.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

Often it is not just internal smoke damage it also has higher insurance premiums as well as being an apartment block might have more possibility of a fire starting...
As mentioned.Check lease and give a call to you landlord whomever that maybe and ask if ok to smoke outside and ask if she can text it to you or email so as you have a written record if anything does arise..

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:30 am

Moccu wrote:
I live in a 1bedroom apartment on the 20th floor with a private balcony, and I'm pretty sure by the non-smoking rule, it means nowhere within the apartment.

Anyway, I went out for a smoke on my balcony as usual, and as soon as I sat down in my chair, I heard a (presumably older lady) yell from below,

'STOP THE CIGARETTES- as*hole!'.

Well, that was pretty rude. I ended up sitting for a while instead of smoking, pretty miffed. I don't throw butts over the railing or anything like that, so I think she was just complaining about the smoke or w/e.

I smoke less than half a (25) pack a day, so it's not like I'm outside chain smoking all of the time.

You probably don't realize it but cigarette smoke is incredibly noxious to those who don't smoke. After issues with cigarette smoke getting sucked into the buildings via the air conditioner intake, and repeated warnings, smoking was banned even outdoors at my workplace. A place I worked years ago, which was retail oriented, required workers remain at least 50 feet from the store when smoking, and they were required to wait 60 seconds after they finished, before they approached the store, and then spray themselves with tobacco odor remover before they entered the store. Anyway, the fact that it's so noxious to those who don't smoke is the reason why most no smoking buildings really mean no smoking anywhere on the premises. Even just a small amount of cigarette smoke can trigger severe and unrelenting acid reflux for me.

I'm not sure of the safety of those e-cigarettes but that might be an alternative for you.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:36 am

seaweed wrote:
Moccu wrote:

some responses?
"then move out, as*hole"

People who live in apartments typically do so because they cannot afford a house. Going back inside does not always do the job because sometimes the smoke enters other units through air conditioners or doors or windows that don't seal well. I propose that those who smoke either use odorless e-cigarette vapor or find a building that is not a non-smoking building.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 4:10 am

I agree with Chronos.

And, while it's regrettable that the woman used such aggressive language, sometimes people do that because perhaps they've suffered in silence and this is the outburst even they didn't really want to manifest. People who don't smoke and who move into an expressly non-smoking building are expecting not to ever have to put up with. . . someone smoking where they can smell it and breathe it . . .

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 5:42 am

Moccu wrote:

If you ask, you will likely learn it means nowhere on the premises...and I say that as a smoker who smokes wherever he wishes unless anyone else might actually be affected.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 10:22 pm

I bet she doesn't understand what it's like to have an addiction. I wish society was more tolerant of people with chemical dependencies.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Jun 2017, 1:45 am

The cigarette smoke does get sucked back into the building.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:02 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I bet she doesn't understand what it's like to have an addiction. I wish society was more tolerant of people with chemical dependencies.

I think she could have been more polite in her approach, though I do understand why she would be upset that she was being exposed to cigarette smoke in a building that was supposed to be non-smoking. It's one thing to have a chemical addiction but it's another thing to intrude that chemical upon others.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

Chronos wrote:
It's one thing to have a chemical addiction but it's another thing to intrude that chemical upon others.

True. I once went on a roadtrip with someone who refused to stop smoking in the car. It was hell.

I realise it can be very difficult to not smoke when you're addicted.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 5:05 pm

you could eat your cigarettes.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 12:34 am

Good idea

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2017, 2:55 pm

maybe look for an apartment with no smoking restrictions?