TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 6:39 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
So, a conspiracy?

Ignoring known sock puppets en masse?

No jrjones. Exactly as I said it.
Using them as disingenuous pretexts to shut down political discourse that is not favoured.

If you're not sure what that means - here is an example of what it means, though not necessarily the reality of the situation: "Oh, I know that's a sock puppet trolling the thread with extreme versions of Conservative views. I could just ban them and clean up the topic, orrrrr, I could use this as an excuse to close the thread!"

But I'm guessing you knew what I meant, really, and am perplexed as why you have to query something so black and white even further. I like to think you're quite intelligible and knew what the words "disingenuous" and "pretext" would mean. I guess I could have said "false pretext", or simply "pretext" as the other two could be interpreted as double negatives.. but there you go.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jun 2017, 7:08 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
I apologise it was badly worded. I'm not surprised you took it that way so let me rephrase it - mods see what are obvious sock puppets as opportunities to shut down debates they do not favour IMO rather than tackling the problems at their source (the perpetrators) and allowing debate to continue, heated or not. You claim a lot happens behind the scenes before it gets to such a stage and I have only your words to go on so I'll accept this as your statement but will choose to hold my own belief on the matter.

Agree that we could probably do more. It's definitely difficult to untangle who exactly has started a conflict and deal with them.

I don't think we get many blatant sockpuppets. I can't say too much in case it makes the problem worse. Of course there are a few - there are a couple of users who keep coming back, although they tend to use parts of the site I don't personally visit, and we just banned a user who was a sockpuppet for a twice-banned user and kept calling people paid Russian trolls - but usually when this accusation gets thrown around, it seems to be at users who have established posting records and just happen to agree on a lot of political issues. Perhaps I'm misjudging the scale of the issue.

Quote:
Re: The Paul Daniels thread effect - The problem you have is what evidence will you have that mods are disappearing threads if they can be even disappeared from the archive? You'd have no proof it was going on as much as we'd have no proof our posts even existed and it's proving extremely difficult to discuss disappearing threads as no one owns up to doing it and it's dismissed as a negative we must all instantly forget about.

Mods can't actually delete threads, there's a special hidden forum that we move them to. Nothing is ever gone from WrongPlanet for good. If you notice a thread was deleted then PM a mod you trust (I would suggest that kip and XFiles are people with the complete trust of the userbase) and they will be able to investigate.
Quote:
when mods are altering our threads and titles on threads they do not support, then doubling down on it and making claims about the validity of our own accounts of events, it's hard to have faith on this matter as well.

Again, I think this is rare and almost entirely something I have been criticised for - I haven't seen other mods criticised for de-editorialising. I also think I've always explained these decisions (and the other mods have always reversed them!).

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 6:50 pm

alex wrote:
smudge wrote:
It took the old set of mods (Cornflake, Tallyman etc.) to actually leave before Alex would update this website before.

They just happened to leave before the migration which had already been scheduled.

Or because of possible unfair dismissals and accusations being thrust around on people who've deployed a strong sense of justice and common sense and in any case, society might rest its hat, but it still ages.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jul 2017, 3:56 pm

Empathy wrote:
alex wrote:
smudge wrote:
It took the old set of mods (Cornflake, Tallyman etc.) to actually leave before Alex would update this website before.

They just happened to leave before the migration which had already been scheduled.

Or because of possible unfair dismissals and accusations being thrust around on people who've deployed a strong sense of justice and common sense and in any case, society might rest its hat, but it still ages.

Yeah that categorically isn't what happened. alex was very annoyed to lose them and there was no chance he was going to dismiss them. Particularly Cornflake, who was a completely next-level moderator.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 5:23 pm

Tallyman, Cornflake. They were great mods
(sorry dude!)

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:04 pm

smudge wrote:
I wasn't getting angry at Alex, just annoyed that there isn't this basic system in place at least to deter them. It would stop them. I think lots of people have left because of the issues with this website.

I think you'll find Smudge, that the New Age has already felt obliged to move society on, so it's out with the old ridicules of a bygone era and into an entirely new streamlined edited version of Family Guy vs Amercian Dad.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 7:21 pm

boofle wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
boofle wrote:
smudge wrote:
The thing is, a new different WP would have to be similar in style to this one, and have similar moderating rules, so people aren't alienated from there.

I'm trying to get my other half to agree to do it.
He's not going for it tho because he says no one would use it ...or that there wouldn't be enough members and people would just drift back here... because it appears more active. Maybe he's right. Pity, really.

Yeah, he is. We've had members do it, before (start other sites); and, the last one started, that I know-of, is now a ghost town----IIRC, [b]people didn't even visit there, for 6 months.[/b]

wow, that's pretty poor 8O didn't even visit for 6 months? jeezus.

(no jokes about floaters pls lol)

It has a name. "Right Planet". If you wanna check it out. Have an account there myself. But there is never anyone there to talk to. But if you wanna visit the ghost town with its tumbling tumble weeds go right ahead. Enjoy the solitude.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 26 Jul 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 7:48 pm

smudge wrote:
SH90 wrote:
Seems odd, while his post can be eccentric. He is one of the few who can debate without making personal attacks (from what I seen)... Yet the mods allow a certain few to do so; a couple have even joined in.

I don't get that either. Jacoby seems one of the least troublemaking individuals on this forum.

Jacoby?
A wallflower?

You are obviously confused as to who "Jacoby" is. :lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jul 2017, 10:17 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
With regards to Jacoby specifically, I don't want to talk in too many details because he isn't here to defend himself, but over the years he's accrued quite a lot of warnings and he's been making quite a few posts recently which have included personal attacks. For example, about a month ago he made a post in which he accused me of supporting terrorism. If I'd seen that sort of comment directed at another user then I would have banned the person who said it without hesitation. I only didn't because I didn't want to seem like I was abusing my position.

I only just realised that he'd been banned. He made a post attacking a group of people in very harsh terms, in a way which is explicitly against PPR's rules. On another day he'd have probably got away with it, but he was banned by our most experienced moderator who is also one of the best moderators I've ever worked with. She is very capable of being impartial and making good decisions, and she always pools judgement when she is unsure how to proceed in a complex case. While we certainly disagree sometimes (particularly on complex cases), I know she usually has better judgement than me, particularly when it comes to right-wing users. I am quite biased in favour of right-wing users but XFiles successfully maintains impartiality.

BS, there were ZERO warnings and I still don't know who got offended by what. Still no answers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jul 2017, 10:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
smudge wrote:
SH90 wrote:
Seems odd, while his post can be eccentric. He is one of the few who can debate without making personal attacks (from what I seen)... Yet the mods allow a certain few to do so; a couple have even joined in.

I don't get that either. Jacoby seems one of the least troublemaking individuals on this forum.

Jacoby?
A wallflower?

You are obviously confused as to who "Jacoby" is. :lol:

I don't cause any trouble, I only mirror how people treat me and you know I actually like to stay on topic. The fact it took a month to ban an obvious sockpuppet troll that was accusing me of literally being a Russian spy is a straight up joke and I can only imagine it really amused you mods which is why they let it go on as long as they did. Me banned, sockpuppet mission accomplished, gj mods! I really am curious what's behind the curtain, maybe that mod forum should be public. :roll:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:28 am

naturalplastic wrote:

It has a name. "Right Planet". If you wanna check it out. Have an account there myself. But there is never anyone there to talk to. But if you wanna visit the ghost town with its tumbling tumble weeds go right ahead. Enjoy the solitude.

Your post was a lot more entertaining (and spot-on) before you edited it..... :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 11:13 am

DeepHour wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Your post was a lot more entertaining (and spot-on) before you edited it..... :lol:

:lol:

Thanks. Sorry I edited it then. :oops:

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I only just realised that he'd been banned. He made a post attacking a group of people in very harsh terms, in a way which is explicitly against PPR's rules. On another day he'd have probably got away with it, but he was banned by our most experienced moderator who is also one of the best moderators I've ever worked with. She is very capable of being impartial and making good decisions, and she always pools judgement when she is unsure how to proceed in a complex case. While we certainly disagree sometimes (particularly on complex cases), I know she usually has better judgement than me, particularly when it comes to right-wing users. I am quite biased in favour of right-wing users but XFiles successfully maintains impartiality.

BS, there were ZERO warnings and I still don't know who got offended by what. Still no answers.

Moderator rotation seems to be quite an active thing, to score point against a minority of edited users, which btw, has been limited to 3 hrs, by which time anything can happen. People here know what I mean.
Unfairness is mirrored by the rules being put up and exploited, to make a user who is quite obviously being bullied and nulled out by opinion, given a 'harsh warning', by which they don't know the full story because it was edited, from a famous ranked editor who knows when to shut down edits through moderator bans and bans through other means necessary.
Why should yet more members be made to look like idiots or victims of a Troy in pursuit, because others hate their political incentives? I was recently made to read my rights, so where does it state that any of this is acceptable?
I suppose you've all got full backing from a site head who has been off circuit now for a few weeks, probably camping out somewhere thinking of a new team revival to stimulate and optimize on brainpower to the few of us who obey the rules.,keep our tight captions closed and our own minds to ourselves.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 6:18 pm

Empathy wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Moderator rotation seems to be quite an active thing, to score point against a minority of edited users, which btw, has been limited to 3 hrs, by which time anything can happen. People here know what I mean.
Unfairness is mirrored by the rules being put up and exploited, to make a user who is quite obviously being bullied and nulled out by opinion, given a 'harsh warning', by which they don't know the full story because it was edited, from a famous ranked editor who knows when to shut down edits through moderator bans and bans through other means necessary.
Why should yet more members be made to look like idiots or victims of a Troy in pursuit, because others hate their political incentives? I was recently made to read my rights, so where does it state that any of this is acceptable?
I suppose you've all got full backing from a site head who has been off circuit now for a few weeks, probably camping out somewhere thinking of a new team revival to stimulate and optimize on brainpower to the few of us who obey the rules.,keep our tight captions closed and our own minds to ourselves.

I've read that twice and it still makes no sense.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 6:25 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
I've read that twice and it still makes no sense.

It's a black magic chant to resurrect Cornflake.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 7:19 pm

When you've got 'informal sockpuppets' delivering all the replies to people, some female wisdom is carried out and is then undermined by mostly suspected female, aspie mods.
I don't understand why they should be crudely voicing allegations and false assumptions on someone championing their bit of the cause when the cause, was one and the same. Having a Women's thread where no males can be crude, racist, sexist or whatever, i don't understand how that could have been a problem, seeing as it was raked up abruptly to my face and brought to my attention about six weeks ago. You didn't get a warning before, you do now? Why rake up something everybody got involved with? Have I broken a rule for discussing a locked thread? I don't know, its as ongoing as all the Trump threads that spiral out of control and no one even looks at who is starting all the rioting. Could be just an inferior made assumption from sounding male and trying to act all male or looking female etc. Identity is important, thats how you catch hackers and criminals online. So, refusing to look into someones sex, who is comfortable with their own is beyond me.
All the replies I've had have been formally written so when you get a pm out the blue saying 'you called me a man!' This comment would probably have amused me had it been myself, as I would sometimes associate myself as bearing a more dominant role at times, and it really isn't unusual to scratch the surface of a problem when you have a male tolerance attitude to it. i really had to scratch my head at to who's saying what and why? because without open reminders that dont get moved, I haven't got a clue. For instance, saying this is an American forum so 'Be American!' wouldn't make sense to me either.This is a very intense forum at times, and i wish some of them would just stick to the topic and don't rip apart peoples ideas because it doesn't suit their own. I don't feel inferior to anyone else here and don't go out of my way to prove so by acting out of line and below the belt. I'll only retaliate if someone has pushed me enough on getting answers they want me to voice, because they don't have the guts to say it themselves.
What if someone says something about a specific moderator who they're told to tell on? they get a block which is ultimately what some members here have done otherwise they wouldn't be forced to apologise for grassing them up. What's the point if you've constantly got to be looking over your shoulder all the time at who condems you?
Some of them, and I won't say who, need to proactively 'GROW UP'.