Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm

People here are done with the repeated spamming. All you have to do is enforce a rule for new members to have a maximum of two posts a day for the first week. No other forum has such a problem as this one because they have rules such as those.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 5:24 pm

Calm down Smudger old sport.

We need an upgrade of forum.

The mods lack the tools to deal with it.

Make it so Alex or Shatner will hunt you down and make you change his adult diaper, he's old it happens to us all.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 5:32 pm

smudge wrote:
People here are done with the repeated spamming. All you have to do is enforce a rule for new members to have a maximum of two posts a day for the first week. No other forum has such a problem as this one because they have rules such as those.

Not even.

You don't hafta say "only three posts", or "only two posts" a day.

The rule can be "only three original posts per day". And that would do it.

This vashikaran love guru bot never intrudes into existing threads. Never replies to folks bickering about Donald Trump, or talking about their favorite Xbox games, by making his sales pitches. He only makes original posts that would be the START of a thread (but of course no one replies to them, so threads don't form from the bots original posts).

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 11:30 pm

I wasn't getting angry at Alex, just annoyed that there isn't this basic system in place at least to deter them. It would stop them. I think lots of people have left because of the issues with this website.

Fine, OPs then. :? Why wouldn't they start replying to existing threads if they were stopped from making OPs? Other forums don't restrict it to just OPs.

Last edited by smudge on 16 Jun 2017, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 11:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
This vashikaran love guru bot never ... replies to folks bickering about Donald Trump, or talking about their favorite Xbox games ...

I bet it'd be really good at counting to infinity by sixes, though.

There Are Four Lights!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 1:02 am

*KNOCK ON WOOD* spammers used to be able to muck up existing threads, making it even more painful to go back and clean them...thankfully our current "brand/breed" doesn't do that and keeps it contained to a few subfora. little something i don't miss.

i am not sure to what extent alex alone can create new tweaks to the system involving post submission by new members... i'd assume he is bound by any limits of the forum software itself, modified PHPBB3 in our case.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 1:11 am

Thanks Kiprobalhato, I'm not sure why naturalplastic was looking at my post with a magnifying glass.

I've known of older forums that don't have this problem.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 4:31 am

Darmok wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
This vashikaran love guru bot never ... replies to folks bickering about Donald Trump, or talking about their favorite Xbox games ...

I bet it'd be really good at counting to infinity by sixes, though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well.... there ya go!

We shouldn't ban him because he could be the life of the party!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 17 Jun 2017, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 4:36 am

smudge wrote:
Thanks Kiprobalhato, I'm not sure why naturalplastic was looking at my post with a magnifying glass.

I've known of older forums that don't have this problem.

Why are you picking a fight with me? Whats with the attitude? I wasn't giving you attitude. I was giving you the opposite of attitude.

I was agreeing with you. And then I went BEYOND agreeing with you to say that the fix would be EVEN SIMPLER than what you are proposing. And would be even less of a sacrifice than what you're proposing.

I am honestly baffled as to why you have a problem with me agreeing with you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 4:48 am

smudge wrote:
I wasn't getting angry at Alex, just annoyed that there isn't this basic system in place at least to deter them. It would stop them. I think lots of people have left because of the issues with this website.

Fine, OPs then. :? Why wouldn't they start replying to existing threads if they were stopped from making OPs? Other forums don't restrict it to just OPs.

Don't understand your point.

All that I am saying is that lets respond to the problem at hand.

If you restricted all posts to two a day (a) it would be a sacrifice -many of us make more than five posts a day, but (b) restricting original posts would NOT be a sacrifice. I myself don't start three original posts in a whole year. So restricting me to three a day would not be a sacrifice. And it probably wouldn't be a sacrifice to you or to most folks.

The agent that's doing this appears to be a dumb bot that just works automatically. No human is actively posting. So there is no reason to think that it would be nimble enough to change its tactics like a chess player. Not in the short run. So just restricting OPs would probably fix it. The humans behind the bot might (if they think that WP is a worthwhile target) might in the long run reprogram it to intrude into existing threads. So we can wait until then to up the ante in response.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:42 pm

As pointed out, stop new users from creating threads until they've posted I dunno...100 posts? The highest spam count I've seen is ~20 posts from a unique user so the chances of them reaching 100 spam posts before creating a new thread is next to zero.

And install word filters that will alert the mods. That could also help.

These Vishnu love-lube sellers and donkey voodoo magicians at first were quite amusing now they are a permanent "feature" (nuisance) in GAD. I don't go there any more. A lot of people don't go there any more.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jun 2017, 8:43 am

There is no other option but new forum software, preferably something professional with technical support. I'd contribute a donation right now if it were possible, it's not that expensive and vBulletin for example would be like going 20 years into the future compared to the capabilities of this forum. I don't see things getting better on their own.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 9:00 am

How about a situation where a new member has to ensure that he/she is "human"?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 10:35 am

Jacoby wrote:
There is no other option but new forum software, preferably something professional with technical support. I'd contribute a donation right now if it were possible, it's not that expensive and vBulletin for example would be like going 20 years into the future compared to the capabilities of this forum. I don't see things getting better on their own.

This is what needs to happen even if it means no Wrong Planet for a period of time. I fully understand why Alex or any site owner would be loath to do that. If the system is down people discover they can live without it or they just get out of their WP habit. But at some point the amount of people WP loses will become more than WP will lose from the system bieng away. The people leaving WP because of the software are leaving angrily and in my view are less likely to come back then those that do not comeback because of a planned timeout. In my opinion if this was an NT site it would have lost most of its users a long time ago. People here in my opinion are staying here well beyond what most people would in this situation because 1. There is not much competition especially for older adult autistics. 2. Autistic repetive/ obsessive behavoirs.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2017, 2:30 am

I also think it's time for WP to get some downtime as they switch to new software, as other forums don't have the spam problem this severe.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

To be honest there's probably nothing wrong with the software, it's most likely just configured poorly. Either that or someone got happy with plugins (too many plugins inevitably leads to conflicts among them). As for the spam, for the trillionth time: honey pot, or google's reCAPTCHA, preferably both. Combined they take about 30 minutes to install and test, they're free, and utilizing both technologies is really a no brainer yet here we are.