Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm

if you put on a facade, that is tiring. exhausting. constantly having to scrutinize your every statement and action. and of course no matter how much energy you put in, your results are not necessarily as good as a neurotypical's.

if you do not put on a facade, that is authentic. "be yourself". and then you get a lot of social rejection.

everything you do is wrong

Copelandia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2017, 9:49 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
if you put on a facade, that is tiring. exhausting. constantly having to scrutinize your every statement and action. and of course no matter how much energy you put in, your results are not necessarily as good as a neurotypical's.

if you do not put on a facade, that is authentic. "be yourself". and then you get a lot of social rejection.

urgh i know.

although im an 'artist' so I get given some leeway with this to be a bit eccentric.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:04 pm

This. :( :evil:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 10:40 pm

This. :( :evil:
___________________________________________________________________________________

how to act normal.

only interact with precious lil "people" that act just like you. being in the minority, that is inconvenient and difficult.

get addicted to your phone.

every time you have a thought or emotion, make a public service announcement.

say "huh" and "what" instead of "excuse me". act like saying "what" is the the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me".

waste an undue amount of energy worrying about and talking about hair, clothes, and outward appearances.

say "why?" when you do not like something. say "cool" when you do like something.

confidently do whatever you want, like you have a moral right to do whatever you want. legal or illegal.

jaywalk. dogs off leash. act like you have never done anything wrong before in your life. litter.

demand you get whatever you want immediately.

act like you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, even though you are just like everyone else.

refer to yourself as "people", "we", or "most people".

drive everywhere.

tell anyone that does or says the slightest thing you do not like, that what they said or did was "rude", "disrespectful", or "mean."

think and talk a lot about money.

judge every slightest thing.

jcCoolidgejr.

23 Jun 2017, 10:50 pm

I had a single mom when I was a kid so that's how I learned. But it's learning from your mistakes. If people don't like you for how you act and you can't change then they don't deserve you. I'm a Cristian Conservative but in school I got along really well with the "bad" people. It's about finding your grove and the group that cares for you and you care for. Even if they're the opposite of you. It really helps learn more by watching what is approved and disapproved by people without compromising your values.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 12:31 pm

jcCoolidgejr. wrote:
I had a single mom when I was a kid so that's how I learned. But it's learning from your mistakes. If people don't like you for how you act and you can't change then they don't deserve you. I'm a Cristian Conservative but in school I got along really well with the "bad" people. It's about finding your grove and the group that cares for you and you care for. Even if they're the opposite of you. It really helps learn more by watching what is approved and disapproved by people without compromising your values.

Same here. The atheists, badasses and deviants were always better friends to me than the Christians. Go figure.

RagingRancor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

The "just be yourself" mantra bugs me so much. My so called friends have a different version which is "act human for once."

DrLoco
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

I've long considered my autism to be separate from my actual personality. The stereotype that we're all severely disabled is ironic, since about 80% of us are of average to above-average intelligence.

I've seen non-autistic people act far weirder than I. In fact, I'm actually quite normal compared to them.

The issue here is that many individuals with ASD develop very low self-esteem as a result of often severe bullying and harassment in grade school. Ergo, many feel even more alienated from society, but autistics aren't the only ones who feel that way.

Many individuals with learning disabilities feel inadequate compared to their seemingly "typical" peers. Also, schizotypals feel very blank and isolated from the world around them due to the roughly same conditions they endured.

The only thing we can do is to accept it, even if it takes a while to confront your eccentricities, and realize that life is finite. Worrying in a finite world is meaningless and wasting.

Even if it hurts, be proud of who you are. You must have some positives; dig deeper and find that inner fuel that enlightens your very lust for life.