Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sunrise1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2017, 5:29 am

I know people in my workplace have being gossiping about me. There's one person in particular who I work closely with and get on well with and I discovered she spread stories about me. I wish I didn't care but it does hurt. Leaving is not an option and I feel I cannot say anything to them in case I get asked to leave.

Is anyone else better at handling this kind of situation?

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2017, 9:41 pm

Have you thought about telling your boss about other employees gossiping about you? Or do you think your boss is one of those gossiping people too?

Copelandia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

This kind of stuff crushes me. :/

Can't deal with gossipy social workplaces.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 1:58 pm

Sadly, you can't stop people gossiping. The only thing I can think of to do is be as nice to the gossipers as possible. Maybe they will feel ashamed for picking you as a gossip target and stop.

Good luck with it. I hope it stops soon.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 9:31 pm

Sunrise1 wrote:
I know people in my workplace have being gossiping about me. There's one person in particular who I work closely with and get on well with and I discovered she spread stories about me. I wish I didn't care but it does hurt. Leaving is not an option and I feel I cannot say anything to them in case I get asked to leave.

Is anyone else better at handling this kind of situation?

I work in a workplace where gossip and drama are explicitly forbidden, and so far I have not observed any.

I had observed gossip in previous workplaces, however, and my impression was that this gossip originated from people who did not have much going on in their lives outside of work, and worked fairly mundane, repetitious jobs. When someone attempted to gossip with me, I'd give very short replies merely to acknowledge they said something, and then ask them something about themselves. Often times, people actually would rather talk about themselves than someone else. When I have overheard gossip about me, in the past I usually just ignored it as I did not know how to address it any other way. Typically this gossip would just consist of people remarking about my eccentricities.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 5:06 am

Work a solo job. I'm on the road and work with no co-workers. It's paradise.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."