Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XMildpetrichorX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jun 2017, 10:42 am

I recently started playing witcher 2 to see if I liked the premise of the game enough to go ahead and purchase 3 but I am still on the fence. Anyone currently playing or have played it ? Thoughts? And is there any other game recommendations please feel free to share as I am always looking. I enjoy rpgs but it gets lonely, does anyone know of any good mmorpgs etc?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 5:22 pm

Are you asking because it's on sale at GoG right now? I got Witcher 2 for free a while back from them, but haven't tried it yet...also bought the first game when it was on sale for a couple bucks.

I have a bad habit of buying games I don't have time to play =)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 9:42 pm

I found myself kind of finding The Witcher 3 a bit finicky, in the sense that it did not feel as streamlined as Skyrim, that there was more reading and paying attention, that I could not really listen to thing while I was playing.

But I recently got back into The Witcher 3, that I think it was partially out of a recent interest in D&D that I had fewer problems with what I did earlier, with a more appreciation of the world. It is a more mature fantasy game, and I don’t mean that in sense of just being darker or having more boobs on the screen, but that it thinks more like an adult and approaches topics with some maturity. I like how it can go from mindless monsters, to people at least talking first to present their point of views if they are intelligent enough. And I hear that the game is fairly equal opportunity for gender with Geralt’s body.
I also got into the hidden complexity of the in-game card game, gwent.

XMildpetrichorX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2017, 9:01 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Are you asking because it's on sale at GoG right now? I got Witcher 2 for free a while back from them, but haven't tried it yet...also bought the first game when it was on sale for a couple bucks.

I got witcher 2 off of GOG for free....I am trying to find the same for 3 but I suppose its too early yet and the only way to get it quickly right now is to purchase it it seems. And dont get me started on accumulating games that you dont play, my pc is full of them lol 8O

XMildpetrichorX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

Bradleigh wrote:
I found myself kind of finding The Witcher 3 a bit finicky, in the sense that it did not feel as streamlined as Skyrim, that there was more reading and paying attention, that I could not really listen to thing while I was playing.

But I recently got back into The Witcher 3, that I think it was partially out of a recent interest in D&D that I had fewer problems with what I did earlier, with a more appreciation of the world. It is a more mature fantasy game, and I don’t mean that in sense of just being darker or having more boobs on the screen, but that it thinks more like an adult and approaches topics with some maturity. I like how it can go from mindless monsters, to people at least talking first to present their point of views if they are intelligent enough. And I hear that the game is fairly equal opportunity for gender with Geralt’s body.
I also got into the hidden complexity of the in-game card game, gwent.

Thanks for your insight. I found...well I am finding the same with witcher 2 in that the dialogue can take over game play a lot. I find myself skipping through it a lot of the time because it just seems to take forever for the witcher and whichever character to get to the point if there ever is one...I just want to get back to upgrading my gear and hacking monsters! Diablo 3 season 10 is awesome for that but it gets so repetitive :cry: what is Skyrim all about ? I have heard of it but never looked into it at all.

XMildpetrichorX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2017, 9:12 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

I was just asking just to ask as I am playing 2. I didn't even realize it was on sale. I will have to check that out. Thanks

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 11:26 am

XMildpetrichorX wrote:
what is Skyrim all about ? I have heard of it but never looked into it at all.

A big fantasy sandbox rpg, you are given a lot of freedom after tutorial to take on any number of quest lines from the start of the main quest, mage quests, thieves quests, assassins quests, mercenary quest, side quests, the game scales and so they don't stop being a challenge/ interesting. You are free just to roam around, get player homes, and more quests become available from as you go such as getting items from demons which tend to be quite varied, to becoming a vampire/vampire hunter in DLC to more. There is a pretty big variety in gameplay, you can find things online where people can recommend builds, which is you can choose to roleplay in the game however you want. Really, you can do all the reading and taking in the lore of the game, but it is not necessary while you collect/hoard stuff, for me often perfect that I can listen to a podcast while playing. Although perhaps a bit of a guide if there is something specific you want, like a place to store your collection of troll skulls.
There is less of following Geralt needing to follow clues for something he is hunting, and instead being pointed from place to place, like a dungeon, or just wander around and do whatever finds your fancy.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:18 pm

XMildpetrichorX wrote:
And dont get me started on accumulating games that you dont play, my pc is full of them lol 8O

I usually don't install them unless I intend to play them, so all of mine are sitting off in a cloud somewhere...

I think it's funny, between GoG, Humble Bundle, and Steam, sometimes I'll consider buying a game, only to find that I already got it from one of the other sites.

XMildpetrichorX wrote:
Diablo 3 season 10 is awesome for that but it gets so repetitive :cry:

I got Diablo 3 for the 360, because it supports gamepads and couch coop (which I prefer for that style of game), and it does seem a bit repetitive...but that's kind of the norm for hack'n'slashes, isn't it?

XMildpetrichorX wrote:
what is Skyrim all about ? I have heard of it but never looked into it at all.

For whatever reason, I've never been able to get into the Elder Scrolls games. A lot of people I've talked to say that Witcher 3 is far superior to Skyrim, though.

If you don't mind old DOS games, you can get the first two games from Bethesda's website for free. Arena's engine is a bit dated, but Daggerfall doesn't fare too poorly.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:11 pm

And because I put those two, just throw in Dark Souls.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm

XMildpetrichorX wrote:
I recently started playing witcher 2 to see if I liked the premise of the game enough to go ahead and purchase 3 but I am still on the fence. Anyone currently playing or have played it ? Thoughts? And is there any other game recommendations please feel free to share as I am always looking. I enjoy rpgs but it gets lonely, does anyone know of any good mmorpgs etc?

Have played Witcher 3 but none of the others. It's a good game but it has some unusual RPG mechanics. The best thing is probably the missions. Not sure how it does it, but the missions are quite diverse and interesting, even the optional side missions. Many RPG type games simply have endless fetch quests or kill quests that get very samey, but W3 ensures they are all interesting. The choices you make also have an effect on the game, there are varied ways to "build" your character, there is a good in-game card game that's actually fun to play.

I say defo get it. The downsides...the pace of the game and your finishing level is pretty controlled. You can't grind for example even though enemies do respawn as everything is rubber-banded around your level. So when you're level 5 then fighting level 8 monsters give you a lot of exp, level 3 monsters not much exp. By the time you get to level 20 or whatever almost everything in the game gives you 1xp. Even missions! To get exp from missions you have to do them when they are above or around your level. If you over-level for a mission you get 1xp from it. So you're going to end up at level 35 when you finish the game, like it or not.

Also the last area...to discover all the map places is sooooooooo tedious. You'll understand when you play it, but it's not needed for the game. So some downsides but over all I really enjoyed it, it's a good game.

XMildpetrichorX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2017, 4:15 am

Awesome ! Thanks so much peeps!! Ill check out witcher 3 and other games mentioned!

Dave_T
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2017, 5:11 pm

witcher 3 is one of the best games i have ever played.

the wired thing is. witcher 3 v skyrim

Witcher 3 has much better
storyline
graphics
gameplay

and yet i think i enjoyed skyrim more. I don't know why.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 144 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 66 of 200

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2017, 6:41 pm

Dave_T wrote:

Exposure to hype and advertising?

I don't mean to sound snarky or patronising, but Skyrim is worse in every aspect, so it's what I have to assume.

I remember when Oblivion came out, the level of hype was incredible and I managed to extract a lot of enjoyment despite it being such a poor game. When Skyrim came out, I was impressed but largely only in comparison to the previous game. I can imagine that, if I was at a certain age or in a certain mindset when Skyrim was released, I'd feel as impressed as yourself. Being able to run around and play was a great feeling at a certain age and it certainly made an impression on myself.

I'll say that I never found the world of Skyrim, or any Elder Scrolls games (beyond, in a limited sense, Morrowind) to be believable, and that's the thing. Skyrim felt like a series of dots on a map, not like somewhere that made sense in terms of the geography or politics of the region. That's the main difference between Skyrim and The Witcher 3; the latter creates a genuinely believable world and characters. It's easy to feel a part of a world that you can understand.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 7:36 pm

Almajo88 wrote:
Dave_T wrote:

Exposure to hype and advertising?

I don't mean to sound snarky or patronising, but Skyrim is worse in every aspect, so it's what I have to assume.

Or maybe being able to choose and create your own character, while The Witcher already has a pre-created character that you are just playing as.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 11:28 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Or maybe being able to choose and create your own character, while The Witcher already has a pre-created character that you are just playing as.

On the other hand, games where you create your own character write you into the story as a generic nobody, whereas being forced to play a specific character means they can easily write the story around them.

I like games where you play a pre-made character, but the game still allows you to make your own choices regarding how you play and what decisions you make. Like in Hitman, you're always Agent 47, but (in the good games in the series) you decide if you want to be a mass murderer, or someone who is careful and only does what is necessary. Maybe not a great example because the story is largely the same regardless of your choices, but you get the idea.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 5:55 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
On the other hand, games where you create your own character write you into the story as a generic nobody, whereas being forced to play a specific character means they can easily write the story around them.

That is just the limits of one's imagination. To open your eyes it might just take seeing how someone decided to play Skyrim as an NPC. Fresh off the boat

Skyrim can really give you tools that allows you to fill in the blanks of the relationship I have to my surroundings, whether I want to treat it like a game in getting things done, or maybe decide to ignore all fast travel. Have myself find a place to sleep for 8 hours each night, and even keep track of the clock so that I am mentally reminding myself when I should eat and drink food at regular intervals, taking advantage of the cooking system, or the many vendors who sell things like food or cooking ingredients. Have myself immersed with navigating the world where I am constantly worrying about a place to sleep between adventures instead of meditate anywhere, with food that cannot be cooked, teleporting horse, and a personality I really cannot edit.

There is little in Skyrim to stop me from playing it like I am Geralt, to stop me from assuming that I am interacting with them as such, and they would think of me as a Witcher or something, killing monsters as a merc and asking for pay. Or I could be a necromancer out infiltrate the people and collect tools of fowl sorcery, or a wizard just collecting knowledge, or a hermit hunter collecting trophies, with some mods that I have to consider staying warm in the weather. Sure Witcher can do a good job to tell you a story, but Skyrim lets you tell your own story that the game may makers may not have even considered.