Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 1:35 pm

And females only.

If you were on an online dating site, would you be willing to contact a member who didn't have a picture of herself on her profile if you knew that you could see her pic eventually? Or would you just skip past the profile?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 1:47 am

Skip

So I'm never in a rush

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 12:18 pm

I'd contact her if her profile description was interesting.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 10:38 am

With no pictures there'd have to be some other aspect to her profile that would make me want to get in contact, such as an excellent bio, but nine times out of ten I'd be likely to move on.

HoneyB33
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2017, 3:58 pm

I would contact with the expectation of getting a picture within the first part of the conversation. "Reply with picture" and if they don't, move on (even if they keep messaging you).

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2017, 9:24 am

Probably not. It's a bit of a red flag if someone doesn't have the confidence and self-assurety to match a face to their text.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 5:11 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Probably not. It's a bit of a red flag if someone doesn't have the confidence and self-assurety to match a face to their text.

You shouldn't make assumptions about why a person doesn't post a picture.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 9:00 am

starkid wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:

You shouldn't make assumptions about why a person doesn't post a picture.

I also shouldn't drink three cups of coffee every morning, but no one's perfect.

Poppycantalk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2017, 9:29 am

If she had a really interesting bio and had several shared interests I would message her and ask for a picture, but also say something to her relating to her profile/bio to show that I had read it. I have used online dating in the past, and I always appreciated it when people messaged something that showed that they read my profile.

In my area there aren't many queer women (who are single, or out for that matter), and there aren't many people in general who share a lot of my interests. If I found a single, queer lady who seemed potentially compatible with me, I would definitely contact her regardless, and if there are definitely no sparks maybe be friends (assuming you have a lot in common)? I suppose it also depends on the type of dating site, too (one for relationships vs. hookups and such).

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 4:36 pm

If the profile was interesting enough I would contact them, but I would also think it's a bit suspicious they don't have a pic. I would worry its not who they say they are.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:35 pm

I would still contact them, especially if we have a lot of common interests. I don't have my photo on most of my social media accounts, but it is because I'm shy and very nervous about people I don't know seeing what I look like. Once I get comfortable with people, I will send them a photo of myself. I know I've posted at least one on here before.

rio76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jul 2017, 12:15 pm

It depends on the conversation - whether the person comes across as genuine and interests you enough to explore further. Some people are private and don't like to publish their faces for the world to see, especially if they are not fully out. I have chatted with people without profile photos and consequently met up with them in real life. On the contrary, some profiles with photos turned out to be catfish and troll.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 12:30 pm

rio76 wrote:
On the contrary, some profiles with photos turned out to be catfish and troll.

What is catfish?

rio76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2017, 5:53 am

starkid wrote:
rio76 wrote:
On the contrary, some profiles with photos turned out to be catfish and troll.

What is catfish?

fake profile

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2017, 3:39 pm

It can't hurt if you find something interesting about their profile.
I met my current partner of 6+ years on a dating site and she did not have a photo posted.
She contacted me first but we messaged back and forth for about a week before she texted me a photo.
Turned out that she just wasn't that tech savy and couldn't figure out how to post a photo on on the site.

Leeds_Demon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 9:41 am

I'm on POF. I don't have a profile picture, as I look like a right numpty in photos. In fact, when I shuffle off this mortal planet, those, who clear out my home will have no idea what I look like. There is a picture taken, with my parents, for their Ruby Wedding Anniversary. It's not on show.
The other reason I don't have a profile picture, is that I have alopecia and wear a hairpiece, that looks like a hairpiece in photos. I don't think that people, on POF, will understand my reluctance to have a photo. Also, I think I look ugly. I need to lose weight, which I'm doing gradually.
Ergo, by not having a profile picture, on POF, I'm not putting off people, before they get to meet me. I want them to get to know me, through messages/phone calls, etc. And when they meet me, they will see the ghastly vision that is me.