Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Leeds_Demon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 9:41 am

I'm on POF. I don't have a profile picture, as I look like a right numpty in photos. In fact, when I shuffle off this mortal planet, those, who clear out my home will have no idea what I look like. There is a picture taken, with my parents, for their Ruby Wedding Anniversary. It's not on show.
The other reason I don't have a profile picture, is that I have alopecia and wear a hairpiece, that looks like a hairpiece in photos. I don't think that people, on POF, will understand my reluctance to have a photo. Also, I think I look ugly. I need to lose weight, which I'm doing gradually.
Ergo, by not having a profile picture, on POF, I'm not putting off people, before they get to meet me. I want them to get to know me, through messages/phone calls, etc. And when they meet me, they will see the ghastly vision that is me.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm

If I don't see a picture, I'd immediately assume it's a catfish and carry on scrolling.

mizplazed
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Nov 2017, 10:41 am

I used to have photos on my profiles, but haven't had pics past few years. (And I've been using online dating since that late 90s.)

With the rise in online dating apps and more and more straight/curious people on queer sites, I don't want my professional and private worlds to intersect.

Yes, I am out professionally and personally.

No, I do not want to be someone's voyeuristic chew toy.

I'm femme, I date butch or trans, and I am clear in my profile about what I am looking for. I don't need co-workers or clients coming across that info or to 'gender-guess' if someone I'm dating is not out as trans! That is way beyond what they need to know about me or the LGBTQ community!

Also, I've been catfished when I was younger, and am much more cautious about who I talk to. Images hang around forever--and I still come across a couple of earlier pics that I wish I could get rid of. I state clearly in my profile why I don't have a pic. If folx want to see one, they can go to a Facebook group page.

If they skip past my profile, not a loss. My safety is more important.

You'll have to decide what makes you most comfortable.