How could an intelligent person still believe in evolution?

Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 6:04 pm

I think with Einstein, in particular, it was his "god does not play dice"-statement, which made everyone go: "see, he said there's a god!" - but that statement of course was taken out of context, i.e. had nothing to do with his religious tendencies and was merely a poetic phrasing of a certain theory he had...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 6:45 pm

shlaifu wrote:
so, maybe there's a god whose plan it all was, who created the univers- but he's definitely not in it, not exerting control over anything. - he's outside not part of physics, ...and then there's not much point in caring about him anyway.- he's just outside, and that's it. dancing the nataraja, with his ten heads and arms.
but just like mimi rogers in "the rapture", I 'd have to say: screw you, there was no reason to create us only to suffer.

Technically, it's eleven heads and ten thousand arms.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 6:59 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I should have re-worded my question. I'm sure there are intelligent people who believe in evolution... But to me, evolution is entirely illogical. God is much more logical. I believe in intelligent design. That everything was made according to its own kind. That it didn't "evolve" but rather it had a purpose and an exact place in the universe from its very conception . I believe such things as "super bugs" are actually demonic in nature, as are most viruses. But everything has its purpose in our world. I will say honestly, that I am not a science person, in general. I am more into the arts and creative writing. But I studied evolution in school, and as a I grew older I had more questions than answers, and most teachers were left puzzled because evolution could not satisfy these inquiries.

What I want to know is why are people unable to accept alternative theories to our existence? Its always evolution. Almost as if they are indoctrinated. And I believe, mainly, because they want to stamp out God. They can't accept a God of the universe. That would rock the boat.

One thing I can agree with you on - whatever you hold as the axiomatic center of your life and branch all logic outward from will intensely color how you see comparative or contrasting logical systems. If you then make that axiomatic center an article of faith it's invincible. Facts will bounce off of it like toothpicks off of tank armor.

A great example is with Daesh - on Sam Harris's most recent Waking Up podcast he interviewed Graeme Wood who recently wrote a book about them, had been able to meet with their supporters in the middle east as well as their mouthpiece in Australia to find out from them both what they believe and how they feel the effort is going in Iraq and Syria. In their minds their responsible for bringing in the apocalypse. Any setback is a test from Allah, thinning the heard of the lukewarm to make sure that the slices of heaven's pie are larger for the truest believers. It also doesn't bother many of them that there's neither a charted or Google-located island with a red one-eyed giant chained to a rock nor a huge iron wall in Asia holding the armies of Gog and Magog. The logic seems to be - God can make anything invisible; the seeming lack of evidence is a test of faith.

I'd also equally offer devout Communists - especially those of the 'It's never been tried yet' variety. They're saying the same exact thing that Islamists say about Caliphate.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 7:11 pm

As for the last piece - why is it so hard for people to accept other/alternative theories.

Those theories get spit-balled without any credible evidence. Typically if someone comes up with a theory, for honest reasons, and finds out that it doesn't hold they let go of it.

There's a wonderful transition to be seen from 4 million years ago to 60,000 years ago in our ancestral line. Our ape ancestors had 48 chromosomes, we know which pair fused to make 46 now. The one thing I would give you - I don't think it's necessarily a sure thing that we understand all of it. Mutation, even with the timescales involved, on its own doesn't a make a lot of sense. You also have certain traits that blossom in unconnected places at different times which is a difficult thing to explain by direct mutation. Either way the tree aspect of it, ie. the slow/progressive morphological changes can't really be doubted at this point. What seems to be suggested there - science is missing something about the value or even the autonomy of information in natural dynamic systems.

The other part, lets say that there is something seemingly (at least to us - now) supernatural in the process of how life conformed to different shapes or lead toward certain outcomes by bridging impossible odds - to even say that consciousness kicked off and began life rather than the other way around wouldn't be the same claim as 'Yahweh did it!', at least not in the formal Jewish/Catholic/Protestant sense. To suggest that it's either Yahweh or nothing is also a leap of logic that has no inherent reason for validation aside from, again, gratifying those who hold a 20th/21st century Evangelical read of the bible as the center from which they reason all other things from.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 7:51 pm

shlaifu wrote:
I think with Einstein, in particular, it was his "god does not play dice"-statement, which made everyone go: "see, he said there's a god!" - but that statement of course was taken out of context, i.e. had nothing to do with his religious tendencies and was merely a poetic phrasing of a certain theory he had...

But, relativity-based math has proven to be inaccurate.

Also, the idea that reality is relative to the observer is somewhat along the lines of magical thinking.

He has taken not-necessarily related things, and multiplied them, to arrive at general relativity. When do people do this in real life. Do you multiply gas times tires, times asphalt squared, to arrive at a car, or can you make pancakes, this way.

Drake tries to multiply star formation by intelligence. Why not apples times oranges.

Evolutionists have a kind of faith, afaic. It makes the veins bulge in their furrowed brows.

I can talk about it, in the abstract, and nothing bad happens. To me, it's just a thought experiment, like when someone imagines riding on a beam of light. No prob. But, I don't live and die by that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 8:44 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:

Actually, it is defies logic. When you break the processes down, the evolutionary theory seems contrary to logic. I don't have time to go into every detail of debate, because I have been doing this for years, and it would take 100 pages in a thread if not more. But I'm going with logic, that evolution is actually not logical in any sense of the word.

<chuckle>

'People benefit from being open minded, but not to the point where their brain falls out'...

Not a snow balls chance in...errr...hell of you convincing me...
And seemingly, visa versa... ;)

To each their own...
We will have to agree to disagree...

Pax...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 9:06 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
I should have re-worded my question. I'm sure there are intelligent people who believe in evolution...

Yes, most intelligent people accept things that are demonstrably accurate.

What we have today isn't even just Darwins evolutionary theory; it was merged with Mendelian genetics in the 1930s, and with the completion of the Human Genome Project in 2003, we are basically at a point where we can read our own source code. Guess what we're not finding there? I'll give you a hint: "dog, but backwards".

rvacountrysinger wrote:
But to me, evolution is entirely illogical. God is much more logical.

Which god? And which version of that god? Considering the number of gods humankind has made up throughout its history, the likelyhood that your interpretation of your version of your specific deity should happen to be the single true one out of millions of false ones is, shall we say, slim.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I believe in intelligent design.

Which is religion pretending to be scientific though lies and obfuscation. Kitzmiller v. Dover.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
That everything was made according to its own kind.

"Kind" is an insufficiently specific term for scientific purposes.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
That it didn't "evolve" but rather it had a purpose and an exact place in the universe from its very conception .

If that were true, then there would be no fossil record at all. All creatures would be as they were and would remain as they are for all time. This is not so. Furthermore, considering the number of species that humans have themselves driven to exctinction, such a "perfectly designed" ecosystem would have imploded by now.

Quote:
I believe such things as "super bugs" are actually demonic in nature, as are most viruses. But everything has its purpose in our world.

Suppose I use antibiotics to kill a population of germs, and a few of the germs happen to be immune to that antibiotic and as such can thrive and multiply whilst their brethren perish. Suppose that population grows until I use another antibiotic and repeat the same process. Should I not expect to end up with a population of germs resistant to multiple kinds of antibiotics, and instead test for the presence of demons?

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I will say honestly, that I am not a science person, in general.

That much is evident.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I am more into the arts and creative writing.

Certainly imaginitive.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
But I studied evolution in school, and as a I grew older I had more questions than answers, and most teachers were left puzzled because evolution could not satisfy these inquiries.

Let me guess, you asked your biology teacher about cosmology, and proclaimed victory when they failed to answer?

Look up the term "null hypothesis", and understand that god isn't it.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
What I want to know is why are people unable to accept alternative theories to our existence? Its always evolution.

Do you understand the concept of a consensus? We do not entertain those who would suggest alchemy be taught over chemistry. We pay no mind to people suggesting maybe phlogiston is actually real and adherents to Lamarckian evolution are rightly laughed at and shunned from serious scientific discourse.

Quote:
Almost as if they are indoctrinated. And I believe, mainly, because they want to stamp out God. They can't accept a God of the universe.

Acceptance in the face of a mountain of evidence the magnitude of which is by now nigh unfathomable is not indoctrination, and what sense does it make to hold animosity toward something that you don't believe exists? There are some people who make it their mission to fight ignorance with knowledge, and where ignorance flourishes, so do gods. A coincidence, I'm sure.

rvacountrysinger wrote:
That would rock the boat.

People have died for proposing that maybe god isn't a necessary component of the universe. Get back to me when the reverse can be said to be even remotely true.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Einstein believed in God

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

-the man himself

Good grief, Charlie Brown, you have some spare time... 8O

I am in total agreement with your position, but there is a cringe worth aspect to your 'cat playing with a mouse' approach...

I'm sure you would agree that there isn't any chance of convincing someone who embraces emotionalism...
It gives many people a sense of meaning in life, and most won't give that up no matter how rational a person/argument may be...

I suspect you might be trying to protect other more vulnerable individuals from what we consider irrational philosophies?
Or are you simply honing your debating skill?

Play nice...
That's an order! :P :mrgreen:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 9:16 pm

To be sure, we have a lot to learn about complexity.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 11:25 pm

I'm just going to leave this here.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 1:32 am

They decided to pick some kid on YouTube as the person to refute? Such cherry picking doesn't present much of a challenge for them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 3:30 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I'm just going to leave this here.

I found this article interesting:
'One recent theoretical direction argues that dissociation is the basis for the uniquely human
ability to manipulate reality through such processes as self-deception and automatic acceptance of
suggestions (Sackheim 1983; Schumaker 1995). Accordingly, Schumaker (1995) has formulated
a unified theory of religion, hypnosis, and psychopathology. This model suggests that these three
human behavioral patterns are forms, or culturally-defined mediums, of reality manipulation
or distortion.
'
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... NSE_DENIED

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 10:17 am

Pepe wrote:
Good grief, Charlie Brown, you have some spare time... 8O

This particular topic is one quite close to my shriveled carcass of a heart (dreams of scientist-dom), so I let myself indulge my spergdom a little. Doesn't take much time once you get a good steam going. Also, I'm unsure if "linguistic masturbation" is a thing, but if it is I'm probably guilty of it.

Pepe wrote:
I am in total agreement with your position, but there is a cringe worth aspect to your 'cat playing with a mouse' approach...

I aim for entertaining, but I'll settle for cringe if needs be.

"'cat playing with a mouse' approach"...that pleased me more than it probably should have... :twisted:

Pepe wrote:
I'm sure you would agree that there isn't any chance of convincing someone who embraces emotionalism...It gives many people a sense of meaning in life, and most won't give that up no matter how rational a person/argument may be...

My hope of convincing the OP is admittedly slim, so I hope instead that people more on the fence than I will read threads like these and understand how laughably lopsided the discussion actually is. People bound to irrational ideas by emotional means aren't going to be swayed by the likes of me, I'm sure.

Pepe wrote:
I suspect you might be trying to protect other more vulnerable individuals from what we consider irrational philosophies?

That is certainly one of my primary goals.

Pepe wrote:
Or are you simply honing your debating skill?

There are creationists with which I've done that. This is not one of them.

Pepe wrote:
Play nice...
That's an order! :P :mrgreen:

Oh, you're no fun.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 2:27 pm

If you ever turn the volume down, on commentary and debates, there are more funny faces, than thinking ones.

Progressives laugh, because they believe incredulity is a science.

This is a character flaw. We say that winners don't scoff. Posers and losers put-on fronts. How does this work in an autism forum.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 4:25 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I don't believe in Evolution (anymore) and actually more and more scientists are starting to see its fallacy as well.

Can you name any? Preferably evolutionary biologists, if you've got any on your list.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 4:48 pm

What kind of evolutionary biologist meets your standard of proof. Can he believe in Ancient Aliens?

Remember, atheists are now seeker-friendly. (A wordplay on seeker-friendly, non-congregational Christians.) Atheism no longer denies any superstition, ever, anywhere, so much as positing a materialistic cause. Black cats might be statistically associated with bad luck, and some cow has possibly jumped over the moon, somehow. They've literally come up with a palatable explanation for flying reindeer, with God as my witness.

They're saying that Intelligent Design and Christianity are not necessarily the same thing.

All structured information is a form of language, so requires a decoder or reader. Also, disorder grows over successive transmissions. There is no tagged, serial-numbered example of a beneficial mutation.

A gene associated with some resistance to hepatitis is linked to a greater prevalence of Lupus. One associated with a resistance to malaria is linked to a prevalence of sickle cell anemia. The antibiotic resistant bacteria have lost the coding to create an enzyme. By some calculations, any specie will become inbred, over time, meaning it would be designed for obsolescence, or, if design is a religious word, they devolve and become extinct.

A possible exception to the rule was unstable hybrids, from disparate species, but this was presented in a spurious manner, such as humans being the offspring of pigs. The now-politically-incorrect Ariel suggested hybridization, in anti-abolitionist literature.

Really, evolutionism has claimed a sort of miracle, which no living person has ever witnessed. The beneficial mutation or missing link are like hen's teeth, four leaf clovers and unicorns. You possibly have materialistic explanations for those, but not for information out of the void. The proverbial explosion in the typewriter factory does not write a book, although you have told us why the Red Sea can part for Moses, on cue, and close upon the Egyptians.

The materialists possibly work harder, on making the case for religion than for materialism, nowadays, but, at least we are allowed to believe in leprechauns or the Easter Bunny. :lol: I almost want to be a materialist, so I am allowed to talk about Creationism. I am almost converted to your religious view. Possibly, after a few more decades of monkey-trial threads. My resistance is weakening. :ninja:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 4:58 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
What kind of evolutionary biologist meets your standard of proof. Can he believe in Ancient Aliens?

If that's all you can come up with, name her or him. For extra bonus points name someone credible. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う