Increasing Autistic Manifestation Over Time

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2017, 11:05 pm

I was diagnosed with high functioning autism a couple of years ago.

From my perspective, the older I get the more autistic I seem. This is particularly the case in relation to meltdowns, my capacity to deal with stress and my sensitivity to noise.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Could it be related to the worsening of my bipolar over time (seems to be stable now)?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:00 am

MoatsArt wrote:

From my perspective, the older I get the more autistic I seem. This is particularly the case in relation to meltdowns, my capacity to deal with stress and my sensitivity to noise.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Could it be related to the worsening of my bipolar over time (seems to be stable now)?

Are you sure things are getting worse or your awareness of your problems are getting better?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:32 am

Quote:
Are you sure things are getting worse or your awareness of your problems are getting better?

+1. This was also a point made in the "Help! I'm getting more autistic!" article. I used to think this, until I realized that I was just so far behind understanding what was going on that I actually thought I was doing ok.
Plus, when a young child, there is much less to cope with. As one grows up, there is more and more expectation to function, and the flaws can seem to stand out more. If a child can't do or tolerate something well that's ok, they're just a kids. Adults get no such concession.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

I'm 42 and I've noticed a drastic increase in autistic behaviours over the past five years. I've only started crawling under the bed and under the table to escape stressful situations in the last few years. Self harm induced by stress is also recent. It's certainly not all related to my increasing awareness, although some may be (such as social awkwardness).

Kythe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2017, 8:24 am

Yeah this is definitely something I've experienced, which may be part of why I was never diagnosed as a child even though we knew there was something wrong. I find this is especially true of the sensory issues. Looking back, I definitely had some sensory issues as a kid that would make it difficult to focus and there were sensory seeking behaviors, but I didn't start to develop the sensory sensitivities until my mid to late teens and they've gotten progressively worse over the years to the point where they severely impact my ability to function and be in certain environments.

As for other stuff like the social skills and communication, I don't think it's necessarily gotten worse over the years, but the sensory issues in combination with lots of bad social experiences have caused me to isolate myself more even though I hate being lonely. I think for most of my life I'd always have at least one person that I'd consider a close friend and interact with on a regular basis, but that's no longer the case. There are definitely people I'd consider to be acquaintances that I talk to from time to time, but just no one close that I'd feel comfortable enough to confide in when I'm doing really bad and need support.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 9:12 am

I noticed an uptick in panic attacks over the last couple of months, but also an increased determination to make up ground I have lost. I feel as though I am about 30 years behind in life experience, even though I am ahead of most people in educational attainment. I hope to have a much more well-rounded life.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 9:53 am

C2V wrote:
This was also a point made in the "Help! I'm getting more autistic!" article

I just read the article and so relate to what was written about burnout ( it's tipped the scales back towards me thinking I have ASD as oppose to a different disorder )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Jun 2017, 10:22 am

I would say yes but I agree that a lot of it is just becoming aware of things, also the point about there being so much more to cope with. As an adult you can't be babied or have your hand held thru a lot of things, with the choice of doing things on my own or not at all I pick not at all far too often. I'm just more and more separated from my peers and other people, I talk online but that's really it, the more isolated I've become the worst things have been. I've been so burnt out from school, I've been a lot more reclusive lately.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

MoatsArt wrote:

Yes. I was diagnosed at 49, and while I understand the hyper-awareness of one's own autistic traits that comes with a fresh diagnosis, that seems to be a phenomenon that lasts the first year or so, as you begin to recognize behaviors you've had all your life as stemming from your autism. It can make you very self-conscious for a while.

However, that period for me was eight years ago. In the intervening time, I have noticed various aspects of my functionality are gradually deteriorating, and in many ways, regressing to a state not experienced since I was an adolescent. I attribute some of it to the fact that since my career dried up and I went on disability (and I got divorced for the 3rd time), I have become increasingly isolated, and the solitude has definitely caused a serious deterioration in my social skills and general psychological health.

But my hypersensitivity to noise, my inability to understand human conversation in a noisy space, my general anxiety - have all become increasingly more difficult to cope with as I age.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:17 pm

I think it relates to stress, and there is a kind of hygiene for it, as in the figure of speech, sleep hygiene.

I believe there is a sort of sensory filter or shield, that patience and energy are limited. I am not proposing a cure so much as a rest.

I resemble these remarks and should practice what I preach.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 8:48 am

What are these sources of stress?

I think it's easy to get distracted by our coping behaviors. It could be that anything you're doing is your own normal reaction to something abnormal going on.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

Based on what I have read here, becoming increasingly autistic is a function of stress, which is largely determined by changes in your life. In other words, most autistics can coast along pretty well if nothing changes. As you get older, many autistics do see more stress if you become responsible for doing more. Though in my case the stress level is going down as I have more experience and money to deal with changes.

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 12:01 pm

I've been wondering about this myself. My manifestations seem to go up when my self-worth falls/self-esteem is low. I can fall into a slump and everything gets worse. Then I have to recover, building myself back up. It is always a setback. For a while I thought it was age but now I am thinking it MIGHT be stress related.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 12:08 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
What are these sources of stress?

I think it's easy to get distracted by our coping behaviors. It could be that anything you're doing is your own normal reaction to something abnormal going on.

That is smart.

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 8:03 pm

I'm becoming more autistic over time, than I was in the past and it's all good. I love it.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm

I've definitely noticed this and I'm glad I'm not the only one. Or sad that I'm not the only one. Whichever.

There was a time when I was more social, and was about to focus on things to a much greater degree. Now, not so much.

Perhaps it may have something to do with the feeling of being mentally exhausted much of the time, and I never seem to be able to do anything about it.