Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cybele
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2017, 4:25 am

I'm looking for a game with great story and characters, preferably an RPG. Old or new. Replay value is a plus.

Games I really like are:
Fallout 1, 2 and NV
Dragon Age series
Undertale

Titles like Skyrim and Fallout 3 are fun gameplay-wise but I find them lacking in the story and characters department. I'm not into JRPGs like Final Fantasy or online games. I've tried Morrowind but haven't been able to get into it.

I'm gonna try the Mass Effect series since I like DA. Anyone have any other suggestions? :) I'd like to hear what you think makes it good, as well.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:17 am

I believe you might enjoy The Witcher. Never touched the series myself, but I've heard tons of good things about it.

And if you want to lay your hands on something older in a similar style, there's the Gothic series. I used to play Gothic II, and it was awesome. Never got too far in it, though.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 4:18 pm

Is that no period to all JRPGs? If not, I'd recommend Suikoden II or Grandia II. They're the strongest for characters and story I've played. They both do well on both, but SII has the better story, GII the better characters.

Western RPG perhaps Summoner I or II. I is quite rough around the edges graphically, and they don't match up to the JRPGs I said for characters and story, but they don't have turn based battles and the game World is quite large. The gameplay might be a closer match to the games you listed. Their strongest story aspect is in the World building they've done in the games.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:22 pm

I've always heard people raving about Planescape: Torment, but I've not played it yet myself. GoG recently released an enhanced version of the game, and they have the original game too.

Have you tried Fallout's cousin, the Wasteland games yet? I loved the first game back in the day, but it might be a bit primitive for most folks.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 9:24 am

I think you'll really like Mass Effect, for me it hit a good combination of good gameplay, story, characters and setting. I loved Dragon Age: Origins, but I felt like that series got worse the further in it got, with Inquisition being an absolutely steaming turd, stuffed full of filler and bland, repetitive gameplay.

Divinity: Original Sin was fun for me, with excellent gameplay and deep RPG mechanics. I have not finished Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny, but you may also enjoy these games, especially if you liked Dragon Age: Origins and the Fallout games, being heavily inspired by Bioware Infinity Engine RPGs. And of course, you can always go back and play those old Bioware Infinity Engine RPGs, which I think all have a modern 'remastered' edition by now.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 10:22 am

If you are open to older games, then Knights of the Old Republic is I think worth a recommendation if you can find a way to play it. It was by Bioware, with Mass Effect being them deciding to make their own sci-fi universe. It does have some great story and characters, and generally considered a classic.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 5:23 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
...Knights of the Old Republic is I think worth a recommendation if you can find a way to play it.

As far as I know, newer Windows will still run it. They sell both games at GoG and Steam, says it runs in "XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10".

cybele
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2017, 6:31 am

Thanks for the recs, everyone. I don't like the JRPG aesthetic very much, I prefer western stuff.
It's all about the story experience for me, rather than XP grinding and coming up with builds like in an MMO.
Planescape Torment is great, I played it recently. The enhanced edition looked very good and it had a very unique atmosphere.
The Witcher seems promising, perhaps Wasteland 2 as well? KOTOR is on my list too since it's a classic.

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I think you'll really like Mass Effect, for me it hit a good combination of good gameplay, story, characters and setting. I loved Dragon Age: Origins, but I felt like that series got worse the further in it got, with Inquisition being an absolutely steaming turd, stuffed full of filler and bland, repetitive gameplay.

Divinity: Original Sin was fun for me, with excellent gameplay and deep RPG mechanics. I have not finished Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny, but you may also enjoy these games, especially if you liked Dragon Age: Origins and the Fallout games, being heavily inspired by Bioware Infinity Engine RPGs. And of course, you can always go back and play those old Bioware Infinity Engine RPGs, which I think all have a modern 'remastered' edition by now.

Heh, I like Inquisition, but I see where you're coming from. The good writing and NPCs are still there, but they should have concentrated more on that instead of trying to make another Skyrim with huge open maps. I think DA2 is the worst of the 3, feels really narrow and bland.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

The JRPGs I mentioned, grinding isn't an issue. In fact, Suikoden II is designed pretty much to combat grinding. I did have to grind in the first Summoner. And it has very long dungeons. Not sure about the second, it's a good game, but I didn't go very far into it. Not because of anything the game did wrong, it's significantly superior to Summoner which I played right through, one day I intend to finish it, but RPGs are games I'm rarely in the mood to play. Summoner 2 hasn't had grind or overly long dungeon issues. It's a completely different story to the first game so you don't need to play Summoner to play Summoner 2 properly.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 1:07 am

Ah! Now that you mention that you like story and coming up with character builds, I would recommend the Dark Souls series. They are definitely more action oriented and maybe not what you're strictly asking for, but they have a great, if unorthodox storytelling style that relies on environmental storytelling and in game text lore, and a lot of replayability from playing around with various character builds. It is a Japanese franchise, but it is deeply entrenched in Western fantasy in a way that feels unique due to its Eastern origin. I'm of the opinion that calling the games RPGs is a bit of a stretch, but no more than some of the other games mentioned in this thread.

nineinchnailsfan93
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2017, 8:52 am

If your looking for an mmorpg then I'd recommend either rift or neverwinter, they're both free to play on steam and I believe never winter is free to play on the playstation network.

BiderSweet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2017, 6:31 pm

I've been pretty absorbed with Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I don't know about you but I love non-linear games and this game gives you tons of freedom. I'll admit that I'm a nintendork but even so, this is a very solid game. There are interesting puzzles, fun mechanics, and challenging enemies. I'd say give it a shot if you have a Wii U/Switch.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2017, 10:34 pm

Thimbleweed Park

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2017, 4:04 pm

The Witcher 3 is IMO the first game you should consider playing. Put simply it's a better written and produced game than anything that Bioware has put out and has more real content than any other RPG I can think of. Geralt is more interesting than the usual blank-slate create-a-character, he has more depth than his initial impressions might suggest, and he has the best obligatory 'getting drunk with your bros' scene of any RPG. By the end of the game (which is perhaps 100+ hours depending on how you play) you feel a real connection with the characters and world, and luckily, there are two expansions (in the classic sense, not insubstantial DLCs) and both are at least as good as the base game.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 4:56 am

Mass Effect is great. So are BioShock and Borderlands. The sequels, too, in my opinion.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 10:50 am

This has actually got me messing around with Summoner. It looks like I never actually finished the first one. Am definitely close to the end. Did some killing with my main save. 2003 the date on that save! Now it's 2017.

I might do a restart of Summoner or it's sequel or both. And follow a guide. It's something that would be hard to pick back up after so long, that's the main obstacle to me getting back into it. I think I'd also like to keep some saves at certain points from going through.

ME: "I'll throw a rock to distract the guards." *Summons Stone Golem* :twisted:

Summoner is available on PS2 and PC. The sequel on PS2 and Gamecube. The first one is also available cheap in the Playstation Store if you're in Europe. It's not in the American one.