"HD AUDIO"... front panel headphone jack is dead?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 3:19 pm

The other day I tried to use the headphone jack on one of the computers I built a year ago. (Never had reason to until now.)

It cut the speakers off, sure, but it didn't work. No sound thru the headphones.

The module the headphone and microphone jack is in, along with two USB ports, sits in what would have been the floppy bay. (The module came with the computer case. It was built in, but removable.)

I figured something was wrong with the headphone jack, and ordered a similar module off Amazon. Installed it this afternoon.... No joy. Again the USB ports work, but not the headphone jack...and it still cuts off the speakers.

I've already gone into the BIOS and made sure the HD Audio setting is enabled (which the cable on both modules is labeled for), and have no idea what to try next.

Any ideas?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 9:38 am

Attaching those pins to the motherboard give me cancer, I don't know why they still have this terrible design. I would check your pins are intact and that you have it in the right orientation. If you have access to another motherboard, maybe test the front header module on that motherboard to help rule out the cause. Perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for the onboard audio as well.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Use a $7 USB soundcard instead?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 11:41 am

BTDT wrote:
Use a $7 USB soundcard instead?

How would that make the front headphone jack work? There are jacks on the back, but that's where the existing speakers are plugged in. (Yep. Old style headphone type plug coming off the speakers. USB powered, but they don't use the USB to get their sound.)

Besides, this wasn't built with the best parts. The power supply CAME with the case, and in the Windows system screens, I have this computer named as "El Cheapo". :D

Funny thing is, I've had a similar problem with my first build, also using an Asus motherboard. Not quite the same problem, but I have to manually activate the headphone jack each time (using the speaker icon on the task bar). It won't automatically cut off the speakers, let alone work without me doing that.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 11:57 am

A USB soundcard would give you a useable front panel headphone jack and mic input. For me, $7, is cheap enough that I wouldn't bother trying to find a broken solder joint with an oscilloscope, though that would be something to try if you have the test equipment and the time.