Van strikes pedestrians near London mosque

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 10:05 pm

Van strikes crowd near mosque in London; one person is arrested

Quote:
Police said early Monday that there were “a number of casualties” and that one person was arrested after a van struck a crowd of pedestrians, including worshipers leaving a pair of mosques in north London.

The incident occurred just after midnight in the northern part of the city, near the Finsbury Park Mosque and the Muslim Welfare House. Police said they closed the adjacent roadway in both directions and were dealing with “a major incident.”

The Finsbury Park Mosque — located in a vibrant, multicultural area of north London — was once closely associated with extremism. But in the past decade, the mosque has transformed its image, with its leadership outspoken in advocating interfaith harmony

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 2:13 am

right wing nutjobs are using recent terror attacks to fuel their own desire to attack non-whites

Seems to be an ideological divide in that the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan is comparing these right wingers to jihadists!! seems to be more vocal on the former than the latter (just my observation)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 2:23 am

Finsbury Park attack: Man dies as van hits worshippers

Quote:
A man has died and 10 people have been injured after a man drove a van into worshippers near a north London mosque.
The van struck people after mounting the pavement just after midnight BST outside Muslim Welfare House, near Finsbury Park Mosque. A 48-year-old man has been arrested.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd said police were treating it as a "terrorist incident".

Eyewitness Abdul Rahman said the driver said he wanted to "kill all Muslims".
Mr Rahman told the BBC he struck the man and helped subdue him.
"When the guy came out from his van he wanted to escape, run away and he was saying 'I want to kill Muslims. 'I want to kill Muslims.'
"I hit him on his stomach... and then me and the other guys... we held him to the ground until he couldn't move. We stopped him until the police came."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 2:24 am

News just in one dead and ten injured

The driver left the van and shouted "death to muslims" and asked police to kill him? He's been taken in for questioning

A few opportunists on both sides trying to take advantage. Right wing nutjob Tommy Robinson from the EDL is claiming that the behavior of worshippers at the mosque in public prayers incited the incident

Meanwhile an islamic nutjob - Muslim Welfare House CEO Toufik Kacimi issued a statement giving particular thanks to Imam Mohamed Mahmoud “whose bravery and courage helped calm the immediate situation after the incident and prevented further injuries and potential loss of life.” Not sure why he would say that given the police at the scene did all the work in apprehending the individual and calming the situation down?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 3:01 am

cyberdad wrote:

The driver left the van and shouted "death to muslims" and asked police to kill him? He's been taken in for questioning

A few opportunists on both sides trying to take advantage. Right wing nutjob Tommy Robinson from the EDL is claiming that the behavior of worshippers at the mosque in public prayers incited the incident

Meanwhile an islamic nutjob - Muslim Welfare House CEO Toufik Kacimi issued a statement giving particular thanks to Imam Mohamed Mahmoud “whose bravery and courage helped calm the immediate situation after the incident and prevented further injuries and potential loss of life.” Not sure why he would say that given the police at the scene did all the work in apprehending the individual and calming the situation down?

I have read that it took police a while to get there and those in the mosque jumped on this guy and held him down while they waited and helped the injured.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 10:29 am

cyberdad wrote:

Why do you refer to Kacimi as a nutjob? The reports I read say that ordinary people detained the driver and the Imam stopped them from beating him up.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 9:22 pm

So... not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims... This, and other incidents, disprove that.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 9:28 pm

We would do well to regain a little moral authority. Our real numbers of civilians killed by drone strikes don't give us any. I know this action doesn't represent all white nationalists, even just in London, or even all the people who feel like getting some revenge somehow.

The mosque was famous for having a terrorist recruiter as an Imam; think Muslim Nigel Farage's most racist advisor. Since he went to jail, the board of trustees changed and the mosque represents the people of the community. The Imam stopped the parishioners from beating their attacker. I respect that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 11:13 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Why do you refer to Kacimi as a nutjob? The reports I read say that ordinary people detained the driver and the Imam stopped them from beating him up.

Sorry re-read the story and infact he did indeed keep the perpetrator safe from mob violence in the mosque, that certainly would not have been good for the London muslim community if the driver was beaten to death

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 3:44 am

I assume this is the terrorist attack someone was posting about on Facebook?

Man I am so afraid of going to London now and my city has just started doing no stop trips there. I can't afford to go there anyway. That would take at least a couple years of savings with tax return and that is without if we don't spend it on any emergencies or house repairs or car repairs.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 1:27 pm

I am in London a fair bit and it is great! Nothing to be worried about, even with recent terrorist incidents it is still miles safer than many other cities around the world.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 5:20 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
I am in London a fair bit and it is great! Nothing to be worried about, even with recent terrorist incidents it is still miles safer than many other cities around the world.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:45 am

Empathy wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Stop being such a terrified timmy, London is an amazing place! You dispute that other cities around the world are more dangerous?

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:29 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
You dispute that other cities around the world are more dangerous?

No, other cities around the world have higher pollution levels and are in danger of self destructing their own religion to endorse terrorist fear in other countries. The Finsbury Mosque incident was no accident you know. Its some minor free thinking radicals that have shown us the true meaning of poverty and destructive critiscism outside these places. Our own people deserve more than a free tirade on system fractures that have mirrored our own self reflection and inner starvation at our lack of expressionist thoughts for so long.
If there is a delayed timed force or hunger strike then who do we bail out? The guy interrupted mass and mowed down a few muslims and now its payback time on us?! Hasn't the U.K endured more than enough already? Sorry, but even though I'm Christian, I have no clear empathy on what he's done only pity he's done it, its all in the bible. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. No one ever tells these people what they do is wrong and are full of fear and hate in the culture; there are bodies still washed up in the Thames because of what one pro radical did and we're still letting them get away with it! I won't be brainwashed in the way that rest of muticultural society has and its time we fought away this religious escapade.. that's brought death to our unwashed shores.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:51 pm

Replace old wiring, lamps, kettles, and the like.
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk ... tatistics/

In 2010, 28 deaths from low voltage electric shocks, and 244 deaths in fires resulting from malfunctioning wiring or appliances or from misused appliances.

If you live in London, and want to be safer, you can take some simple precautions, no matter your religious preference.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
London is an amazing place!; other cities around the world are more dangerous?

Also Biscuitman, you might work in London or pay a visit there every once in a while, but you don't actually live there do you? In terms of qualifying for danger, yes, there are many like the likes of the Grenfell Tower block tragedy recently, if other tower have the same unprotected non fire proof protected cladding, then how on earth is that safe for the citizens? Never mind the terrorist incidents that we're getting. If I had alot of family there, i'd be that worried I'd be ringing them day and night to check they were ok.