Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2017, 9:19 pm

I just came across a different, new book on Amazon entitled, My First Big Fat Autistic Novel: or a Record of Atypical Close UFO Encounters by an author who identifies himself only as "Autist X." He claims he was misdiagnosed for 50 years until the medical people caught on to autism diagnosis in a big way and decided that he'd been on the spectrum all along. He says he's going to write fiction and nonfiction all about it, until he dies. I don't know what UFOs have to do with the spectrum though. I picked it up for 2.99 or 3.99, I think. I have made a resolution to read much more about our illustrious "difference," especially first-person accounts.
I guess that was available through Kindle.

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2017, 1:33 pm

Finally, I finished this novel. It is the farthest-out fiction I ever have read, and I haven't decided whether it is one of the best novels I've read, or one of the worst. Anyway, the price has gone down to $0.99, so it is either selling like hot cakes, or not selling at all.
Would I recommend it? Yes, and no. I think many of its subtleties are over the heads of most people, but I think that because people like us are what we are (upstairs), we are able to understand these subtleties better than the neurotypicals.
"neurotypical" = not displaying or characterized by autistic or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behavior.
"Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one or the only correct one."
Verdict: Recommended as a novel whose characters and plot are appealing, even satisfying, to us on the spectrum because it was written by one of our own.