Question a Mod's decisions, here.....

Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 9:56 pm

@ Ashariel:

It has been addressed several times, on this thread, by different people, that we are aware that modding is a thankless job (and, now you've mentioned it, several times, in one post)----and, we most certainly know / understand that they are NOT getting paid----and, I don't think I've ever run-across a site, where one pays a subscription, to post on a forum (but I certainly can believe they're out there); so, ALL mods, on ALL forum sites, AFAIK, are volunteers----but, as I've said before, I don't recall ever seeing anything like this (the behavior of a couple of the Mods, here).

By your own admission, you take breaks from here----and, a quick perusal of your post history shows that you don't travel in the same circles, as most of the users who have posted, in this thread (you, being mostly a GAD poster, and alot of the rest of us, here, being mostly PPR & NCE posters----though, all of us travel). This thread, as I said in the OP, is the continuation of a discussion that was started, last summer (IIRC), and, mostly, the people who have participated in this thread, participated on that one, as well----and, there seems to be, maybe, unique issues that take place, between the users and Mods, in PPR & NCE, as opposed to the rest of the site; and, because these issues are STILL ongoing, I totally understand people needing to continue to post their complaints.

Please consider that there may be issues / events of which you're not aware----and, that what seems to be your limited experience with the Mods, may not be all-there-is (meaning, there just may be another side to the story, so-to-speak - and, there IS).

Also, I don't believe anyone who has participated on this thread, has been disrespectful----and, I certainly don't feel that anyone has bashed, anyone else.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:09 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
I think it would be worth having some NT mods. People very distant from the issues and less personal ironically have a more neutral touch in my experience.

We've had, over the years, NT Mods----some people liked them, some didn't (but, that's gonna be that way, no matter WHO is modding).

I can't decide how I feel about having NTs----OTOH, I can agree with you, that, maybe, they would be more neutral; but, OTOH, I can see where they would NOT be beneficial, because they've never experienced things, the way WE have. I can just imagine an NT Mod chiding someone, for being so literal, or for being too detailed in their responses, or asking what they felt was too many questions; or things, like that / along those lines.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:34 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Ashariel wrote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and would only add that the mods aren't superhuman: they can't be everywhere and don't see every comment, so it's important for us to do OUR part as members of this community to bring to bring it to the attention of the moderators when someone is breaking the rules so they can do something about it. That's what the report button and the moderator attention thread is for. And no one is without bias and perfectly neutral, so there are always going to be some people who disagree with whatever decisions the moderators do make. From what I have seen so far, the mods here seem to vary from each other in their perspectives and I think this is really important in reaching fair decisions about applying the rules to the forum.

And like Ashariel says, if you really have a problem with how the site is moderated you don't have to participate. But I also think it is important to have discussions like these from time to time, to keep communication between the moderators and the commenting community at large open.

I have seen you make a couple of other comments like this, on other forums / threads, on this site, and have wondered, because you've only been here, about a minute (not literal, of course), how you would take it if you were a long-time / daily, active member, and someone you didn't know was telling you how they thought you should be doing things?

I have often said that entering a thread, as a new person, is like attending a party, to which you've been invited, but don't know anyone, there----would you walk straight-up to someone, interrupt their conversation, and tell them what they were saying / doing, was wrong? I think, not.

I actually agree with a couple of the things you've said, in this post, I quoted----but, how 'bout if you give us a chance to get to know you first, before you start telling us, how you feel we should be doing things; it comes-across, IMO, as you trying to, like, dictate, to others----and, if you've ever had a new boss at work, for instance, who comes-in, and starts telling everybody that they're gonna have to change the way they're doing everything, I think you'll understand what I'm saying; cuz, usually, NO ONE likes those bosses.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:04 pm

I apologize if what I said was off-base. I avoid PPR and NCE because those forums exhibit a woeful lack of respectful discourse, and they're about the last place where I'd want to discuss politics. I agree that the behavior that goes on there is a serious problem, and I'm not dismissing your complaints at all.

My own approach is to discuss autism here, and politics elsewhere. If you know of other sites that are moderated better, and provide a more enjoyable platform for political discussion, maybe that's a better use of your time.

I completely agree though, when it comes to discussing politics in a rational manner, with people who behave respectfully toward each other, and top-notch 24/7 moderation, WrongPlanet does not get a high score.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:18 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Ashariel wrote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and would only add that the mods aren't superhuman: they can't be everywhere and don't see every comment, so it's important for us to do OUR part as members of this community to bring to bring it to the attention of the moderators when someone is breaking the rules so they can do something about it. That's what the report button and the moderator attention thread is for. And no one is without bias and perfectly neutral, so there are always going to be some people who disagree with whatever decisions the moderators do make. From what I have seen so far, the mods here seem to vary from each other in their perspectives and I think this is really important in reaching fair decisions about applying the rules to the forum.

And like Ashariel says, if you really have a problem with how the site is moderated you don't have to participate. But I also think it is important to have discussions like these from time to time, to keep communication between the moderators and the commenting community at large open.

I have seen you make a couple of other comments like this, on other forums / threads, on this site, and have wondered, because you've only been here, about a minute (not literal, of course), how you would take it if you were a long-time / daily, active member, and someone you didn't know was telling you how they thought you should be doing things?

I have often said that entering a thread, as a new person, is like attending a party, to which you've been invited, but don't know anyone, there----would you walk straight-up to someone, interrupt their conversation, and tell them what they were saying / doing, was wrong? I think, not.

I actually agree with a couple of the things you've said, in this post, I quoted----but, how 'bout if you give us a chance to get to know you first, before you start telling us, how you feel we should be doing things; it comes-across, IMO, as you trying to, like, dictate, to others----and, if you've ever had a new boss at work, for instance, who comes-in, and starts telling everybody that they're gonna have to change the way they're doing everything, I think you'll understand what I'm saying; cuz, usually, NO ONE likes those bosses.

I lurked for quite a while before I made an account and started posting. I wasn't comfortable posting here at first because I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult and I wasn't sure how I would be received, and I wanted to get familiar with the forum before adding my voice to it. Thanks for helping me to feel less welcome. This comment you've made here is exactly why it took me so long to start talking. I'm sure next you will suggest I should go back to lurking and shut my mouth, as you seem to think I need to have been posting for a certain amount of time to deserve to share my opinion (which is a paradox--how can I be an established poster who "deserves" to share my opinion without having posted my opinion for an established period of time? That is an impossible standard to achieve, so asking it of people is ridiculous.) I will be sure not to take your suggestion into consideration and will continue sharing my views here like everyone else does, regardless of whether I have your personal permission to do so.

ETA: This also isn't the first online community I have belonged to, so my opinion on how this site compares to others in the way the moderators function is valid.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 2:24 am

i don't know but it seems reasonable to close the PPR for newcomers for their first postings,
some participants there have no history of posting and go straight for that section, that, imho, is not a good idea,
can't it be limited, like posting a link, for the first couple of posts?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:35 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
the mod team has been due for some fresh members for a while now. i know there has been a longstanding taboo on this site against members openly "volunteering" for a mod position, immediately disqualifying themselves in that way

With good reason :)

Douglas Adams wrote:
it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 10:33 am

Ashariel wrote:
I apologize if what I said was off-base. I avoid PPR and NCE because those forums exhibit a woeful lack of respectful discourse, and they're about the last place where I'd want to discuss politics. I agree that the behavior that goes on there is a serious problem, and I'm not dismissing your complaints at all.

My own approach is to discuss autism here, and politics elsewhere. If you know of other sites that are moderated better, and provide a more enjoyable platform for political discussion, maybe that's a better use of your time.

I completely agree though, when it comes to discussing politics in a rational manner, with people who behave respectfully toward each other, and top-notch 24/7 moderation, WrongPlanet does not get a high score.

Thankyou, very much, for responding----I really appreciate it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 10:35 am

Campin_Cat wrote:

I'm sure next you will suggest I should... shut my mouth, as you seem to think I need to have been posting for a certain amount of time to deserve to share my opinion (which is a paradox--how can I be an established poster who "deserves" to share my opinion without having posted my opinion for an established period of time? That is an impossible standard to achieve, so asking it of people is ridiculous.) I will be sure not to take your suggestion into consideration and will continue sharing my views here like everyone else does, regardless of whether I have your personal permission to do so.

ETA: This also isn't the first online community I have belonged to, so my opinion on how this site compares to others in the way the moderators function is valid.

I took great care, in each of my three paragraphs, to ensure that it was known that I was ONLY referring to the comments you've made, regarding how you feel people should be doing things, on this site----and, that I was NOT referring to any other comments, you've made.

Yes, you most certainly DO have every right to post your opinions / views, like everyone else, on this site----and, you most certainly have every right to not take my suggestion----but, I can't agree that it's okay for someone who has been here, for so-short-a-time, to make these kinds of comments (even if they've belonged to other online communities); and, I can't help but think that you wouldn't like it, either, if someone did it, to you.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 10:49 am

traven wrote:
i don't know but it seems reasonable to close the PPR for newcomers for their first postings,
some participants there have no history of posting and go straight for that section, that, imho, is not a good idea,
can't it be limited, like posting a link, for the first couple of posts?

WOW----I have thought this EXACT same thing!! Not only do I agree that it's not a good idea for those who are inexperienced with this site----but, because of the rash of sock puppets we've had over there, lately, I feel it would greatly reduce the chances of those, as well.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 10:57 am

Chichikov wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
the mod team has been due for some fresh members for a while now. i know there has been a longstanding taboo on this site against members openly "volunteering" for a mod position, immediately disqualifying themselves in that way

With good reason :)

Douglas Adams wrote:
it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it

Yeah, I've often thought it was probably a good idea, to not take SOME people who volunteer, because they might have an ulterior motive----like, that they could ban all the people who had ever disagreed with them, or something.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:13 pm

Just had another annoying run-in with mods. Had a post deleted that didn't break any rules, it was merely a factual answer to a valid question. Granted an answer that would be hated by anyone with strong left-leaning views, however as I said it was not opinion, I was simply stating facts. I wasn't sent a PM to say why it had been deleted, I started a thread asking why it was deleted that has been ignored for over 24 hours. I have asked in the "correct thread" for a reason why, and I am simply being ignored. The moderator doesn't even have the courage to own up that they did it and explain why they did it, and given *no* moderator has said anything I can only assume there is some kind of behind-closed-doors collusion going on. It's simply disrespectful to treat people this way and certainly no way to moderate a forum. How can anyone ensure what they post is within the rules if they are not told what the rules are or what rules they've broken that caused a post to be deleted? If the fact was on some list of banned-facts-we-don't-like is there a complete list somewhere of all the facts that I'm not allowed to mention? Can I say the Earth is round? Can I say there are no dinosaurs in The Bible?

Not being told why a post was deleted is neither here nor there if the reason is obvious, but to not be told then be deliberately ignored when asking for a reason is on a completely different level. Hang your head in shame moderators.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2017, 1:43 am

Since the mods are just as human as anyone else here, perhaps someone should work on a program that does the moderation of the site. I know it's a lot easier said than done, and I'm sure it's been tried before, but it would take out the biased opinions and favoritism on many of the controversial topics, leaving only the intended purpose of moderation. The removal or editing of posts should be something that the poster has control over if and when prompted to do so. As long as it keeps posts in line with the site rules and guidelines, removing/editing posts or locking threads is a necessary evil.

I don't have any personal issues with the mods, and as far as I know, they are doing exactly what they're supposed to do to keep the site as a safe and respectful place for people to discuss their issues. Perhaps when anything is changed or removed, there should be a placeholder that gives an explanation for the editing or removal of the post/thread, that way something won't just vanish and leave people confused as to the reasoning for it.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 5:48 am

Totally agree, Aaron.

The playstation forums do exactly that on every moderated post. The mod dealing with it posts something on their account, or adds a footnote to moderated posts saying it was them and why they did it. There needs to be some sort of accountability.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:03 pm

Another post deleted and another "forum warning" for questioning B19.

EDIT: Insinuations are against the rules.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

Aaron Rhodes wrote:
Since the mods are just as human as anyone else here, perhaps someone should work on a program that does the moderation of the site. I know it's a lot easier said than done, and I'm sure it's been tried before, but it would take out the biased opinions and favoritism on many of the controversial topics, leaving only the intended purpose of moderation. The removal or editing of posts should be something that the poster has control over if and when prompted to do so. As long as it keeps posts in line with the site rules and guidelines, removing/editing posts or locking threads is a necessary evil.

I don't have any personal issues with the mods, and as far as I know, they are doing exactly what they're supposed to do to keep the site as a safe and respectful place for people to discuss their issues. Perhaps when anything is changed or removed, there should be a placeholder that gives an explanation for the editing or removal of the post/thread, that way something won't just vanish and leave people confused as to the reasoning for it.

There IS a "sort-of" program (just a bit of coding, rather, that comes-with the "site-build") that does some, "sort-of", moderation, in that the option to put asterisks, instead of the actual letters, in some cuss words, has been selected. The kind of programmed moderation you're talking-about, though, is quite a bit more advanced, IMO, and there's been so many other things, to attend to.

I agree that the editing of posts should be something "the poster has control over"----and, I agree that it is a "necessary evil", because there has to be SOME rules, afterall----BUT, I feel a user should be sent a PM and told that they have to reword their post, or have it completely removed; THAT way, NO ONE, but the poster, is deciding what the poster wants to say, no.1; and, no.2, they are being told that their actions, were wrong (NOT just their post, all-of-a-sudden, disappearing - and, if it's after the editing period, they can tell the Mod, how they want the post to be edited, so that it DOESN'T break a rule[s], and then the Mod can change it, to that).

Yep, almost every single one of the Mods, has put a notation, when they've locked a thread, and I think that's EXCELLENT!! (I think I've only seen ONE Mod, NOT do it----probably to say "You're not the boss of me" [LOL], cuz alot of us have said that we feel they should.) I don't think, however, that I've EVER seen a notation, when a post has been completely removed. I HAVE seen a notation, though, a few times, when a post has been edited, by a Mod; so, that's GOOD, IMO.