Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2017, 10:14 am

AquaineBay wrote:
I just watched the first season and I have to say they seem to make him come off as a whiny a**hole. He does things to other people that would get him in serious trouble but doesn't take responsibility for it!

The girl Paige seems to be crazy to even consider dating him again, just because a person has autism doesn't mean that what you say and do don't affect anyone!

Another thing is that everyone else seems to be burdened by him except himself, he has friends, he can get a girlfriend, his strange speech doesn't seem to bother people like in real life(well besides when they were picking on him...)

I can see why some say they don't relate.(I would be surprised if any of us could!) He isn't inhibited by his own condition, They make his quirks seem cute instead of really weird, and well it's just not how real life autism would be like!

If you want to make an actual portrayal then at least let people be realistically affected by his actions,(especially Paige!) and seriously, the show does not have to literally revolve around the autism, that just makes it look like a black hole that sucks everybody in it!(but not in a good way!)

I agree with this!

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:15 am

I tried watching the first episode. I felt the show was garbage. The main character is a cringey annoying kid. He has no business dating. The mom is an over controlling freak. I did like the therapist. She seemed to be with a nice lady who put up with a lot from that family.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 12:44 am

Have watched all episodes and they added drama to it in the last episode and they showed his massive meltdown and then he has to hide in his room after it and his ex girlfriend acts crazy. I also think she isn't quite normal either. I liked what Sam does to make up for her and I think the therapist over reacted. But I didn't get why Sam's sister threw her drink in the guy's face who was having an emotional affair with their mother.

I do think autism did inflict Sam because he broke up with her in front of her family and he did act socially inappropriate and did affect the therapist so hence her over reaction and why his ex acted crazy and the show does show and tell by mentioning Sam's past like how they didn't get invited to parties because of Sam and his meltdowns and how the dad just walked out on them and then came back and not all autistic people get bullied and get treated badly and get disrespect. Sam has a hard time figuring out the social rules and how to act. But I still think he was portrayed as being very socially awkward and this was all meant for comedy.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2017, 1:16 am

Cardia wrote:
Yet another series with a male Aspie protagonist... Sigh. I seriously wish that the stigma around young women having Asperger's would be broken. I know that there is at least one movie out there with a female Aspie protagonist, but I remember seeing the trailer for it and thinking to myself that she seemed more "cutesy quirky" and energetic. I would love to see an Aspie female protagonist who encounters many struggles through life, has an unusual special interest, gets depressed, and shows flat affect. I will still check the Atypical series out, regardless.

There is absolutely no need for a female-centered movie about Aspergers. Not because there aren't any aspie females out there; there clearly are. But life as a male with ASD is exponentially more crippling than life as a female with ASD. The politically correct media has taken all the traditional male roles and given them to females in an attempt to push gender equality... you can't take this away from us.

80% of suicides are committed by men but you don't see guys in uproar after the rise of shows like 13 Reasons Why and other garbage that illustrates women and their noir 'beautiful depression'

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2017, 1:58 am

salowevision wrote:
There is absolutely no need for a female-centered movie about Aspergers. Not because there aren't any aspie females out there; there clearly are. But life as a male with ASD is exponentially more crippling than life as a female with ASD. The politically correct media has taken all the traditional male roles and given them to females in an attempt to push gender equality... you can't take this away from us.'

Wow, really, wow, do read some autobiographies, watch some YouTube vlogs from females on the spectrum. This is a huge and unfair generalization about how a group you don't know experiences life on spectrum. This is like the topic about 'mild' autism (viewtopic.php?t=352756), saying that their problems don't matter because yours (men's) are much worse.

I'd say that females on the spectrum have a more difficult task getting recognition and acceptance then males do, they often do blend in better and have a more invisible disorder, but they still have it, they still struggle and they still need support!

@Cardia: I like how Sofia Helin plays Saga in The Bridge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridg ... _TV_series)). A strong female character on the spectrum.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 4:53 am

ErwinNL wrote:
salowevision wrote:
There is absolutely no need for a female-centered movie about Aspergers. Not because there aren't any aspie females out there; there clearly are. But life as a male with ASD is exponentially more crippling than life as a female with ASD. The politically correct media has taken all the traditional male roles and given them to females in an attempt to push gender equality... you can't take this away from us.'

Wow, really, wow, do read some autobiographies, watch some YouTube vlogs from females on the spectrum. This is a huge and unfair generalization about how a group you don't know experiences life on spectrum. This is like the topic about 'mild' autism (http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=352756), saying that their problems don't matter because yours (men's) are much worse.

I'd say that females on the spectrum have a more difficult task getting recognition and acceptance then males do, they often do blend in better and have a more invisible disorder, but they still have it, they still struggle and they still need support!

@Cardia: I like how Sofia Helin plays Saga in The Bridge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridg ... _TV_series)). A strong female character on the spectrum.

If women are better at socializing and masking because that is more expected of them, would not females have more mental illness from all that surpressing of thier real selves?

The "Oppression Olympics" type thinking of my group got is worse then your group is harmful beause it distracts from the considerable difficulties most Autistics deal with.

Alex Plank founder of this website was an advisor to The Bridge.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2017, 7:38 am

I advise that you do a thorough analysis of the social standards men are held to and really think hard about which gender is more inhibited by ASD.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If women are better at socializing and masking because that is more expected of them, would not females have more mental illness from all that surpressing of thier real selves?

The "Oppression Olympics" type thinking of my group got is worse then your group is harmful beause it distracts from the considerable difficulties most Autistics deal with.

I know for experience (male) that pretending to be normal is very, very exhausting and that some people get really depressed from doing it all the time. I am not sure if woman have more chance for mental illness because of it, would be really interesting to research.

And yeah, I agree, "my problems are worse then your problems and thus your problems aren't as important as mine" is stupid.

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I did read somewhere that he did that, but only for the american version right? I am watching the Swedish version on Netflix.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 4:13 pm

ErwinNL wrote:

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I did read somewhere that he did that, but only for the american version right? I am watching the Swedish version on Netflix.

Right

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 9:01 pm

The biggest problem with using tv to represent the Autism Spectrum is the following:

1. It's a spectrum, a very subjective one at that, where everyone on it is different. They could cast an entire 10 season show chock-full of nothing but autistic characters, and still misrepresent the reality that some of us live with in some way, for that reason. No matter what they do, they're not going to get it close enough to please everyone, it's just not possible with the differing cases that makes up the spectrum. What situation might be true for even one person, may not be true for the rest, and vice-verse. For this reason alone, I don't put any stock into shows like this one.

2. Tv producers, writers, directors, etc will always dramatize what the condition because that's what puts ratings on their charts. That also misrepresents the spectrum, because it's not always going to have dramatic situations, even in the worst of times, and since they're going to show drama, they're going to make it severe drama for those ratings that they covet. Whether the show-runners want that or not, the network will because the network is ultimately who cares about ratings, given that's how they make their money. Any show that doesn't bring those ratings to their satisfaction is cut from the lineup, which wouldn't help anything either.

3. They can't show a specific case because people take that to mean that what they're seeing is what the whole spectrum is, which obviously is false. But neither can they show a generalized case, because severity does play a role in that spectrum, and as stated in 1, even if they could cast every character as a person on the spectrum, they could never show the spectrum as a whole accurately enough to make people understand it. It would still be a small group, relatively speaking, compared to the whole.

I don't put any hope that tv could ever be used to effectively make people aware of the real conditions that comprise the spectrum. A better tool would be for forums, or other large groups, to be shown to people, let them see how we interact, react, etc. Let them read our actual stories, rather than some made up tv crap. Let them ask us questions, even. Anything along the lines of getting people to know and understand the real people behind the spectrum, is far better than blind representation through tv, which could paint a damaging picture while simultaneously failing to state that every case is different.
That's really the biggest hurdle, imo; Getting people to realize that every case is different.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:41 am

I agree with the above.

The same issues plague every group. Despite these problems gay representation on TV has been crucial to their much greater acceptence.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 3:37 pm

Jaden wrote:
The biggest problem with using tv to represent the Autism Spectrum is the following:

1. It's a spectrum, a very subjective one at that, where everyone on it is different. They could cast an entire 10 season show chock-full of nothing but autistic characters, and still misrepresent the reality that some of us live with in some way, for that reason. No matter what they do, they're not going to get it close enough to please everyone, it's just not possible with the differing cases that makes up the spectrum. What situation might be true for even one person, may not be true for the rest, and vice-verse. For this reason alone, I don't put any stock into shows like this one.

2. Tv producers, writers, directors, etc will always dramatize what the condition because that's what puts ratings on their charts. That also misrepresents the spectrum, because it's not always going to have dramatic situations, even in the worst of times, and since they're going to show drama, they're going to make it severe drama for those ratings that they covet. Whether the show-runners want that or not, the network will because the network is ultimately who cares about ratings, given that's how they make their money. Any show that doesn't bring those ratings to their satisfaction is cut from the lineup, which wouldn't help anything either.

3. They can't show a specific case because people take that to mean that what they're seeing is what the whole spectrum is, which obviously is false. But neither can they show a generalized case, because severity does play a role in that spectrum, and as stated in 1, even if they could cast every character as a person on the spectrum, they could never show the spectrum as a whole accurately enough to make people understand it. It would still be a small group, relatively speaking, compared to the whole.

I don't put any hope that tv could ever be used to effectively make people aware of the real conditions that comprise the spectrum. A better tool would be for forums, or other large groups, to be shown to people, let them see how we interact, react, etc. Let them read our actual stories, rather than some made up tv crap. Let them ask us questions, even. Anything along the lines of getting people to know and understand the real people behind the spectrum, is far better than blind representation through tv, which could paint a damaging picture while simultaneously failing to state that every case is different.
That's really the biggest hurdle, imo; Getting people to realize that every case is different.

That is very true. A show about an autistic person would be quite difficult to make. Not only would the character most likely be represented as what autistic people are, but there would also be trouble with the characteristics of what the autistic person has, because not all people on the spectrum have the exact same characteristics.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 15, 2017)