Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DemonAbyss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2017, 10:30 am

The problem I see with accurate portrayals is that Neurotypicals, being the majority, need to relate to the character in question. Because of this, things will inevitably be watered down and inaccurate to appeal to the lowest common denominator (and no offense meant by that if some NT takes offense to it.) in order for a series to do well.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2017, 1:29 pm

I am currently watching episode 6 and the series basically makes fun of Sam's directness, naivety and other social difficulties. I really hope this changes in future episodes.

Netflix, ABC Portrayals Of Autism Still Fall Short, Critics Say
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... ritics-say

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:37 am

Hmm can't say I've actually seen a show with a positive autism representation. Then again its hard to say because every case is different. The only way to show the truth would be to do a documentary of sorts.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 4:56 pm

I just read an article online about this show and it said it portrayed Sam as a misogynist and things the article said about things he does in the show made him look like an as*hole and implying it's his autism that makes him do those things. The article was titled Atypical portrays autistic men as sexist pigs. Now I am curious about this show and I was going to watch it anyway after my Hulu free trial expires.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 5:38 pm

I hate these shows, sanitised voyeurism for entertainment of NT's. Its a bit like going to the zoo,

BBC: Radio 4

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2017, 5:15 am

League_Girl wrote:
I just read an article online about this show and it said it portrayed Sam as a misogynist and things the article said about things he does in the show made him look like an as*hole and implying it's his autism that makes him do those things. The article was titled Atypical portrays autistic men as sexist pigs. Now I am curious about this show and I was going to watch it anyway after my Hulu free trial expires.

This one ?: https://qz.com/1053590/the-new-netflix- ... ist-jerks/

[spoiler]
I did like the idea of a silent disco at the end of the show, but not the happy ending in semi-public.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 3:25 pm

ErwinNL wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

This one ?: https://qz.com/1053590/the-new-netflix- ... ist-jerks/

[spoiler]
I did like the idea of a silent disco at the end of the show, but not the happy ending in semi-public.

Some of the guys here who like to make generalizations about women should read that and spend some time pondering it.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2017, 4:56 am

I watched the first episode last night. I had mixed feelings. It was entertaining enough that I'll probably watch the whole series, mostly because I want to see more about the kid's penguin/Antarctica special interest. :lol: My overall thoughts on the ASD portrayal was that there were a lot of things that felt incongruous. Sam seemed like his social deficits were quite severe, and yet he goes to a mainstream school and holds down an after-school job? Since they focused mostly on the social deficits, I didn't connect with the character. I can "pass" as "quirky but normal" as far as social deficits go, so to relate to an ASD character, the portrayal has to go beyond that, which I don't feel this show masters. The only thing that even reminded me of myself was when Sam randomly started spitting out penguin/Antarctica facts to his family, and they just seemed so bored. :lol:

The part I got the biggest kick out of, though? In the one scene, Sam's therapist was giving some lecture on ASDs. I paused it to see what her PowerPoint slide said, and the one part said: "Autism's AFFECT on the brain." I was stunned. This pretty much says it all, how they clearly are not having people on the spectrum help produce the show or review it. If that were the case, they wouldn't have had a glaring grammatical error splashed across the screen. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:34 am

If they had autistics reviewing it they likelynwould not have described autism as some outside entity that effected then brain.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2017, 7:30 am

Watched the show, felt a little uncomfortable knowing that the stereotypes exist for a reason. I and many of you may act like him in real life (to a smaller degree though) and we just don't know it. It makes me shudder.

Can't relate to Sam wanting a girlfriend. I am too much of a pessimistic misanthrope who only cares about surviving and putting off suicidal thoughts to feel any romantic warmth!

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2017, 7:31 am

Hypercoaster wrote:
I watched the first episode last night. I had mixed feelings. It was entertaining enough that I'll probably watch the whole series, mostly because I want to see more about the kid's penguin/Antarctica special interest. :lol: My overall thoughts on the ASD portrayal was that there were a lot of things that felt incongruous. Sam seemed like his social deficits were quite severe, and yet he goes to a mainstream school and holds down an after-school job? Since they focused mostly on the social deficits, I didn't connect with the character. I can "pass" as "quirky but normal" as far as social deficits go, so to relate to an ASD character, the portrayal has to go beyond that, which I don't feel this show masters. The only thing that even reminded me of myself was when Sam randomly started spitting out penguin/Antarctica facts to his family, and they just seemed so bored. :lol:

The part I got the biggest kick out of, though? In the one scene, Sam's therapist was giving some lecture on ASDs. I paused it to see what her PowerPoint slide said, and the one part said: "Autism's AFFECT on the brain." I was stunned. This pretty much says it all, how they clearly are not having people on the spectrum help produce the show or review it. If that were the case, they wouldn't have had a glaring grammatical error splashed across the screen. :roll:

Identity politics alert! I suppose OCD and schizophrenics are misguided when they prefer person first language? Science supports autism having a neuropathology, it's not just how the brain is shaped, there are mechanisms.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:00 am

I’m autistic: This is what Atypical on Netflix gets right about autism

Quote:
I’ve read criticism about Atypical’s depiction of autism. Particularly that lead character Sam is just a walking ‘autism check list’, not a fully rounded character. But here’s why I think he’s representative of autistic people, and why I relate to him.

Sam is played by a non-autistic actor, Keir Gilchrist, but autistic actors did audition for the part. Ultimately, it has to be the right person to play a part, and what makes a person right for a role is dependent on a whole host of different things. Just because someone is autistic doesn’t mean they are better suited to play an autistic character.

Sam’s literal interpretation is funny, but I don’t think we’re being encouraged to laugh at him. Autism tends to be depicted in TV and film as something serious and bleak, but Atypical is light-hearted and uplifting, and that’s a really positive thing.

At one point in the show, Sam’s friend points out a girl smiling at him and urges him to smile back. He gives her a wide toothy grimace instead of a beaming smile. Lots of autistic people I know have done this at various points in their lives. You desperately want to make a good impression, but you can come across as trying a bit too hard, or just inappropriate.

He has a special interest, but not a special skill or super power. While he gets good grades in science and his special interest is Antarctica and penguins, he is not a savant. He can’t look at a mass of toothpicks on the floor and know precisely how many there are like Rain Man. That’s important for the general public to see.

TV is not real life. If you watch other Netflix shows like Orange is the New Black, the writers have created situations which probably wouldn’t really happen, and it’s the same with Atypical.

Any show about autism, which isn’t widely understood, carries a tremendous burden: people want it to say everything and get it ‘right’. We’re going to need more shows of varying kinds that feature autism in all different ways before there’s a full expression of autism across the spectrum. There are grounds to criticise Atypical, but I’ve chosen to welcome it as one more step in the right direction.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2017, 3:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

A step in the right direction, maybe... but is that enough, does the show do more good then harm? I know most shows depict stereotypes and exaggerate situations but is the viewer able to distinguish between fictional and real life? Does a show need to educate about autism?

I really don't know... public awareness is good, but what happens if every character is portrait like Rain Man or Sam?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:42 pm

johnnyh wrote:
Hypercoaster wrote:

Identity politics alert! I suppose OCD and schizophrenics are misguided when they prefer person first language? Science supports autism having a neuropathology, it's not just how the brain is shaped, there are mechanisms.

I have OCD, and I couldn't care less if people refer to me as a "person with OCD" or "an obsessive compulsive person." Whatever you want to call me is fine! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 9:10 pm

I just watched the first season and I have to say they seem to make him come off as a whiny a**hole. He does things to other people that would get him in serious trouble but doesn't take responsibility for it!

The girl Paige seems to be crazy to even consider dating him again, just because a person has autism doesn't mean that what you say and do don't affect anyone!

Another thing is that everyone else seems to be burdened by him except himself, he has friends, he can get a girlfriend, his strange speech doesn't seem to bother people like in real life(well besides when they were picking on him...)

I can see why some say they don't relate.(I would be surprised if any of us could!) He isn't inhibited by his own condition, They make his quirks seem cute instead of really weird, and well it's just not how real life autism would be like!

If you want to make an actual portrayal then at least let people be realistically affected by his actions,(especially Paige!) and seriously, the show does not have to literally revolve around the autism, that just makes it look like a black hole that sucks everybody in it!(but not in a good way!)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2017, 10:14 am

AquaineBay wrote:
I just watched the first season and I have to say they seem to make him come off as a whiny a**hole. He does things to other people that would get him in serious trouble but doesn't take responsibility for it!

The girl Paige seems to be crazy to even consider dating him again, just because a person has autism doesn't mean that what you say and do don't affect anyone!

Another thing is that everyone else seems to be burdened by him except himself, he has friends, he can get a girlfriend, his strange speech doesn't seem to bother people like in real life(well besides when they were picking on him...)

I can see why some say they don't relate.(I would be surprised if any of us could!) He isn't inhibited by his own condition, They make his quirks seem cute instead of really weird, and well it's just not how real life autism would be like!

If you want to make an actual portrayal then at least let people be realistically affected by his actions,(especially Paige!) and seriously, the show does not have to literally revolve around the autism, that just makes it look like a black hole that sucks everybody in it!(but not in a good way!)

I agree with this!