(Pattern Recognition) Anybody see patterns?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2017, 11:23 pm

Hello,

Does anybody notice patterns within seemingly random images? Noticing constellation-like patterns is an example of pattern-recognition abilities.

Any recommendations for specific websites / research into the brain's pattern recognition abilities?

Thank-you

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 10:48 am

Here wrote:
Hello,

Does anybody notice patterns within seemingly random images? Noticing constellation-like patterns is an example of pattern-recognition abilities.

Any recommendations for specific websites / research into the brain's pattern recognition abilities?

Thank-you

What's the difference between pattern-recognition and apophenia ( I do this a lot )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2017, 5:11 pm

A couple of links on pattern recognition:

* Patternicity: Finding Meaningful Patterns in Meaningless Noise: Why the Brain Believes Something is Real When it is Not.

LINK: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -patterns/

* Pattern Recogintion (psychology):

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_r ... psychology)

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:35 pm

I do

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:24 pm

I perceive everything in patterns. I am so glad i do

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jun 2017, 4:18 am

I do a lot. Especially, I hear melodies, words or conversations in noises of falling water, engines etc.
I thought it was something special when I was a kid. When I was about ten, I believed I got messages from God or something. But then I came down to earth and realised it was just my brain amplifying something it would consider meaningful from the noise.
Now I only sometimes need to say - "Oh, you didn't call me, did you? I guess it was just the noise, again." Or, on the other hand - "Sorry, I didn't hear you calling because of the noise."
Guess I have some problem with scanning my environment for meaningful information, getting too much or too little at times.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 4:35 am

Here wrote:
A couple of links on pattern recognition:

* Patternicity: Finding Meaningful Patterns in Meaningless Noise: Why the Brain Believes Something is Real When it is Not.

LINK: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -patterns/

* Pattern Recogintion (psychology):

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_r ... psychology)

Thanks for the links , Patternicity sounds like what I do but I don't know if it's apophenia or not

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:30 am

I was told I used to be able to recognize what piece of music was playing by the pattern on the record (this was in the 1960s, when I was a small child, in the days of long-playing records).

Now, I'm terrible at pattern recognition of that kind. I do recognize how certain names tend to be popular for tennis players. There are two Andys, two Davids, three men named Denis and any number of Johns, Juans and Ivans.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2017, 1:01 pm

Here wrote:
Hello,

Thank-you

This is a very common occurrence. The question could be easily answered by reading through any of the boards on any given day here. There are an abundance of posts where individuals ask if some random thing fits the pattern they see. (i.e. conspiracy theories, hearing voices in sounds, random incompatible events forming specific patterns). It isn't limited to people with autism either, everyone does it to some extent or another daily. What isn't common is Systematic thinking(1) also known as Pattern thinking, because it expends to much energy and time as opposed to Patternicity.

(1) Making sense of challenging situations and developing simplistic solutions to overcome them, it enables people who practice it to gain significantly deeper insights by exploring the patterns that are underlying and governing a situation.

For example Patternicity would see a big puffy cloud as a horse, Systematic thinking would see the interactions of wind, temperatures, pressure, humidity, etc. as the cause for the Cumulus cloud to take that shape and if they didn't know they would research/test till they did have a rational answer. Often times when someone is referring to someone with autism being a "pattern thinker" it is the Systematic thinking they are referring to. Which is why you have the "stereotype" of people with autism being good with computers, math, and science which requires heavy amounts of Systematic thinking. Systematic thinking is also what is often being referred to when someone says another is caught up on the details rather than seeing the big picture.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 6:24 pm

Yes, I do see patterns in things. I also sometimes hear things in sounds that aren't really there. At least one of my industrial fans on one of it's power settings sounds like there is a radio playing music way in the background, but I can never quite make out the tune.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 4:41 am

Here wrote:
Hello,

Thank-you

Maybe that the book 'the pattern seekers' from Simon Baron-Cohen is recommendation.
My english is to poor to read the book.
What I saw from Simon Baron-Cohen on youtube gave me a lot of confidence. He seems like a very nice intelligent man, a man who clearly comes across to me with a calm voice.

As a fan from Charles Darwin i like the sub-tittle "A 70.000 year history" :D

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:10 am

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:29 am

Humans in general are great pattern finders. I knew a guy who was going blind, and started having vivid hallucinations when the few pixels that got through happened to suggest something like a horse in his house. Hearing "All _____ are the same!" is an example of a pattern that appears from a few examples, and then blinds the observer to other conditions. Much of the pleasure in music comes from recognizing the pattern and successfully anticipating the next note for confirmation, but not to the point of boredom.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 3:04 am

The dog have also a lovely "pattern-recognition"
Or shoud i say that the dog have high "mirror-neurons" :?:
Or maybe i see a 'pattern' that the dog dont see :roll:

The pattern from the horse and the dog is similar to the avatar from the starter from this topic :)

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 9:18 pm

Does pattern-recognition readily happen if patterns are displayed mirror-like - as in symmetry?

For example, if constellation-like random patterns of stars are displayed with symmetry, is it easier to discover patterns displayed in symmetry, rather than patterns displayed in asymmetry?

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2021, 5:59 am

I can one special pattern in my own YouTube video.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ