Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 1:55 pm

I have always had pretty bad periods since I first started but over the last year or so they have just become worse and worse really.
I bleed heavier, I get very erratic and wrathful before, and sometimes when I am bleeding, I get dizzy.
The cramps at times are so severe I end up crawling around on the floor as normal painkillers don't work and I am nervous of getting anything stronger, plus some cannot be taken with my thyroid medication.
I also get absurdly horny in the few days before to a point it is physically uncomfortable and irritating.

There must be something that will help improve things.
Does anyone here take Evening oil of primrose or anything that has helped them with this?

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2007, 2:02 pm

How old are you? It sounds like it could be hormonal. There might be herbs that could help with that, like wild yam or red raspberry leaf. You would have to ask somebody more knowledgable than I am, though.

cowlypso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2007, 4:25 pm

I've been on birth control for years because of this. Mine were so bad that I would miss a day or two of school every month. I'd get nausea, dizziness, migraine, horribly heavy bleeding, cramps like nobody's business, and diarrhea.

I finally gave in and went to the gynecologist before I went to undergrad (after 6 years of suffering). We decided that the best thing to do would be to try the birth control (just take a single pill each day, without worrying about when the period is coming).

The pills have really changed things for me. I no longer have any pain at all (or hardly any). If I have any cramps, they are mild enough that a single tylenol takes care of them, if I bother to take anything. I don't have any of the other issues, like the nausea or diarrhea. I still get some migraines, but they are less frequent. And the bleeding is much reduced, and only lasts for about 4 days, instead of 2 weeks like it did before.

I don't know what I would do without my birth control pills. I love them!

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2007, 5:23 pm

If you've always had bad periods, have you ever looked into a bleeding disorder, such as von Willebrand Disease?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 6:26 pm

I am 32.
Was on progesterone only pill as a teen but nothing since then... worry about pill causing weight gain so never been on it apart from that.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 6:30 pm

My periods can get pretty bad. I get really bad cramps, and I become really upset easily.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 5:05 am

my periods can be very painful. But I prefer that to being bad-tempered and weepy with PMS. Once I'm 'on' I'm fine in that respect.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:05 am

Both are equally bad for me.
When I get cramps, it is so bad I cannot sleep and can hardly move...those pains shoot right through my backside too.
Took over an hour for them to go last night, even with 3 paracetamol.
Sometimes, being a female sucks lol.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:28 am

Mine could be a whole lot worse.
My symptoms are more subtle and prolonged and my periods are extremely regular for someone who is apparently infertile...They move around just a little bit, but will start like clockwork on the same day for months at a time.
I am not on any birth control or anything like that.
The first day is hell.
and I tend to be a really heavy bleeder
and I have a wacky emotional rollercoaster like everyone else...
but they don't completely floor me.

Miranda
Raven
Raven

29 May 2007, 11:52 am

Graelwyn wrote:
I am 32.
Was on progesterone only pill as a teen but nothing since then... worry about pill causing weight gain so never been on it apart from that.

That's what I take. My bleeding used to be disabling, but now I don't have periods at all. I had tried a lot of pills but they all caused the bleeding to worsen. My gyno suggested I might have endometriosis, since the estrogen in most pills makes that condition worse. Either way, the pills I take now saved me from having to undergo surgery.

RachelLugiagirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2007, 11:55 am

Mine's ok this month but they're usually prety bad. I've tried Basil tea Thyme and Agnus castus

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 12:58 pm

just cause you mentioned thyroid meds....

i've always had issues with this department and i think i have endometriosis or something.... they've never quite been able to figure it out and i dont want surgery.......

but their last idea for me was to check out my thyroid functioning.... low thyroid hormones can lead to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)... maybe read up on it.... i dont know too much cause they said my thyroid was fine and i promptly dismissed all the info.... but make sure your thyroid is workin fine.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 3:37 pm

I am checked regularly for my thyroid as I do have hypothyroidism.
I did not realise there is a connection to polycystic.
Problem is, I am too afraid to have anything looked at to closely.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 8:15 pm

My periods are bad, but they're not completely awful, I suppose. I cramp a lot, and I'm so irritable during this time. I get really snappy, and I'll lash out randomly.
What bugs me is that I don't get my period every month. I wouldn't really mind, but I do get the pain, which seems to be an entirely unfair trade off to me. (Although really, when are they ever fair? :))

Three years!

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

30 May 2007, 2:44 pm

Mine are usually pretty easy. I don't cramp much and there isn't much change in my behavior that I've noticed.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 3:36 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I am checked regularly for my thyroid as I do have hypothyroidism.
I did not realise there is a connection to polycystic.
Problem is, I am too afraid to have anything looked at to closely.

yeah low functioning thyroid can lead to increase in male hormones... which jacks the ovaries.........

think tinky was the mod that has worked with this stuff before.... he/she made some really insightful posts on my thread i made about PCOS a while back when i was going to doctors for this kind of stuff...

think the thread is called PCOS.

other than that... got no advice... been seing docotrs for like 12 yrs about this kind of stuff and all they can tell me is to eat healthy cause they never find anything particularly wrong and THUS IT MUST BE "IBS" (irritable bowl syndrome) that's wrong with me

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl