Umbilical Cord blood therapy for autism - No Joke

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 2:01 am

Cord Blood Therapy Treatment for Autism Gets the Limelight

Quote:
The umbilical cord blood trial for autism has passed the critical safety test during its most controversial initial trial. However, many researchers continue to have concerns about the approach

As many as 25 autistic children have undergone the umbilical cord blood treatment and the results have been satisfactory, except for minor side effects. Children were seen to have improved behavioral traits, which were observed by clinicians and parents alike.

$26 million has so far been funded by Marcus Foundation towards the trial of the umbilical blood cord therapy. Researchers from Duke University in Durham, North Carolina were involved in the trial which saw its beginning during early 2014. Further, researchers have plans to involve 170 autistic children in the therapy.

The trial is conducted with a different approach, wherein neither the parents nor the participants will be made aware of whether they are receiving a placebo or treatment. Researchers believe this could be the best way to conduct the trials and that the results will be more transparent

The trial was first conceived way back in the 1990’s after Kurtzberg, professor of Paediatrics, started injecting umbilical cord blood transfusions into youngsters diagnosed with metabolic diseases. At this point in time, the professor says she noticed something interesting.

“I observed that their autistic symptoms improved after the transplant,” says Kurtzberg. “We also learned that cord blood cells engrafted in the brain and repopulated the microglia cells in the brain.”

Interestingly, the treatment does not have major side effects and appears to be safe. It should be noted that youngsters in the age bracket of 2 to 6 years old were involved in the study. Post-infusion, few children were observed to be agitated, though some experienced allergic reactions. However, after one year, the side effects which were observed and reported by the parents did not have any connection to the blood infusion.
The interview followed a two step process:

First, the child’s behavior was rated before the commencement of treatment.
Second, the child’s behavior was noted 6 to 12 months after the treatment.
The statistics showcased significant improvements in the overall behavioral traits of the children. Interestingly, 12 children were seen to have an IQ of more than 70, which indicated the success of the trials. Antonio Hardan, director of the Autism and Developmental Disorders Clinic at Stanford University in California, who was not involved in the study, says “There is more improvement than you would expect based on development itself.”

When I saw this I immediatly figured it would go in the quack treatments thread. But this is a serious research project bieng done by a prestigious university.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

traven
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 6:25 am

:huh: :huh:
serious, really, the author is the site-owner, you don't know a serious publication yet?
26 million for 25 autists? puzzlepiece - money?

(there's some comments of seriously looking names added; Jeremy Veenstra-VanderWeele, associate professor at Columbia University in the psychiatry department, says “It is a bit of a leap.” )

Medicine gets so far avanced these days that it goes back to those very old superstitions of healing powers of drinking (taking) blood (of 'virgin' quality ofcourse)

"Post-infusion, few children were observed to be agitated, though some experienced allergic reactions. However, after one year, the side effects which were observed and reported by the parents did not have any connection to the blood infusion." (infusion? injecting umbilical cord blood transfusions into youngsters)

http://sackler-institute-columbia.org/v ... nderweele/
more is better, specially money, and more interventions is even more more
on the tit of the 'autistic mice' money,
straight to the cannabalistic rituals to cure everything

*believe in science* yeahyeah, nothing slipperyslope here

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 11:48 am

traven wrote:
:huh: :huh:
serious, really, the author is the site-owner, you don't know a serious publication yet?
26 million for 25 autists? puzzlepiece - money?

(there's some comments of seriously looking names added; Jeremy Veenstra-VanderWeele, associate professor at Columbia University in the psychiatry department, says “It is a bit of a leap.” )

Medicine gets so far avanced these days that it goes back to those very old superstitions of healing powers of drinking (taking) blood (of 'virgin' quality ofcourse)

"Post-infusion, few children were observed to be agitated, though some experienced allergic reactions. However, after one year, the side effects which were observed and reported by the parents did not have any connection to the blood infusion." (infusion? injecting umbilical cord blood transfusions into youngsters)

http://sackler-institute-columbia.org/v ... nderweele/
more is better, specially money, and more interventions is even more more
on the tit of the 'autistic mice' money,
straight to the cannabalistic rituals to cure everything

*believe in science* yeahyeah, nothing slipperyslope here

Seroius in that one of the leading Autistic funding organizations is throwing money at it and the research is bieng done at Duke University not Age of Autism University. That does not mean it is not quackery. I have posted plenty about the lack of quality of autism research in America lately.

When the Marcus foundation and Duke University are involved it has to be taken seroiusly because it means that there is a realistic possibility that this treatment will be used widely on Autistic children someday.

The internet has it's limitations as a communication tool. What I obvoiusly failed to communicate is how shocked I am that this is bieng taken seroiusly.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 1:42 am

yes, i'd imagine, from the title,
and using some exageration to make the point, a point
it's (to me) close to abusive to use the lowest functionning to further medical experimentation, by the proxi of anxious parents who'll do anything, even gross, without any real consideration, even for their child

in general the constant repeted paterns of demanding 'external expertise'
outsourcing responsabilities transferred from the religious uberclass to the medicine-magician-clan
is that the result of more "education" for the populus ?

and look how the youth is bombed with a magic-science-fantasy charm; it doesn't look bright for the near future

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 2:52 pm

I'm wondering what are the typical chances of generic AS symptoms to improve in an untreated 2-6 year old.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 7:00 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
I'm wondering what are the typical chances of generic AS symptoms to improve in an untreated 2-6 year old.

I would think quite a lot. Two year olds have tantrums, and love to do the same thing over and over, many of them are sensitive to noise(even though they are often the noisiest people sround). By age six these traits are often gone or noticibly lessened. This is why I strongly oppose the overwheming expert consensus for mandatory autism testing for toddlers and infants. Pefectly average happy NT kid misses a few markers, gets diagnosed as autistic, gets subject to 40 hours a week of ABA, catches up to average like he or she would have anyway and everybody is happy, experts are pleased the "evidence based" ABA "worked" yet again, parents are ecstatic thier kid is "recovered" from the autism they never had.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2017, 5:06 am

Whether umbilical cord blood helps or doesn't is not what I am going to mention.

But the sheer idea there is no biomedical or health related aspect to autism in a person is pseudoscience. It is commonly accepted by professionals of and people with conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar that what they have is a disorder and they won't refuse any suggestion that something bad in the brain or persons health/development may be happening in those conditions. I won't argue whether one causes the other, I don't know, but there is a correlation, and they don't blame correlation on "social" matters.

To sum it up, since the majority on this forum believe autism isn't a plain clear disorder/disease of the brain (as accepted by many people with schizophrenia of their own condition), you won't believe that anything else going on could possibly be bad as well.

-Johnnyh

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 1:17 pm

johnnyh wrote:
Whether umbilical cord blood helps or doesn't is not what I am going to mention.

But the sheer idea there is no biomedical or health related aspect to autism in a person is pseudoscience. It is commonly accepted by professionals of and people with conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar that what they have is a disorder and they won't refuse any suggestion that something bad in the brain or persons health/development may be happening in those conditions. I won't argue whether one causes the other, I don't know, but there is a correlation, and they don't blame correlation on "social" matters.

To sum it up, since the majority on this forum believe autism isn't a plain clear disorder/disease of the brain (as accepted by many people with schizophrenia of their own condition), you won't believe that anything else going on could possibly be bad as well.

I do not know enough about what is going on with schizophrenics or people with bi polar but the is a neurodiversity movement in the dyslexic community. There has been a deaf is just a difference movement for decades now with people refusing implants and hearing aids.