Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2017, 8:33 am

Hello everyone, today I'm making a post asking for other peoples opinions about choosing a daytime job or a nighttime job. I meant to post this on 6/20/2017 but things were in the way. Anyways here's my question.

For anyone with autism or any other disability, would you prefer to work during the day or night?

For anyone who wonders why I asked....first off I tried to apply for Kroger but the store didn't want me (& that's depressing), I tried Dollar Tree but they're looking for employees for seasonal times (& I'm assuming that means during holidays like Halloween or whatever). Now I do have two jobs I can (hopefully) apply for but here's one minor issue (& I apologize if its ludicrous for those reading this), there's a janitorial job for nighttime but their won't be other people around & there's a job at Stage during the daytime with people around.

My brother worked at Walmart during the night as a stocker (before he got laid off for some stupid reason sadly) & I would assume working during the night would be easier than working in the day (he did work with other employees), I have had some janitorial experience in high school (not a whole lot but some) so I think it would qualify me. Now as for working in a department store like Stage I think it'd be okay, I don't know about working in the day but I suppose talking to other employees would be alright.....after all I would like someone new to talk too (& not hang out with people who just pity me.....but then again that's life).

Now everyone has different opinions for working in the day or night....I understand that, I'm just having a hard time deciding because of other problems in the way (which I'm not gonna say) & its probably distracting me, aside from that excuse there's not a lot of options/choices to choose from when it comes to finding a job you'll love/like. Everyone has a choice to either work alone or work with others.....there's been people at my high school that black mailed me, manipulated me, bullied me, etc. (same thing for the internet too) so there's a part of me that says "Be alone for the rest of your life." & maybe work during the nighttime, & there's another part me that says "Work at Stage during the day, & maybe someone won't just pity you or do the wrong things towards you.".....but then again you never know which is good & which isn't.

So for anyone with autism or any other disability who (hopefully) understands then I would appreciate some comments for some insight of any kind, but if you find this annoying then please don't comment. Again I apologize if this was ludicrous, annoying, etc. But thank you for reading & have a good day.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 8:50 am

It depends. If the work still entails a lot of contact with your fellow employees and a manager, etc, like stocking shelves in a large store with a whole team of others, there wouldn't be much difference between it happening in the day or the night shift. And if you really feel that you could handle or even welcome that level of interaction, go for it and see how it works out.

But if the job working at night involves nobody being around -- like a janitor cleaning a deserted office building at night, that does make for a difference, and obviously suits a solitary person better. Personally I would rather take that solitary night job if it means I get to be alone, as I've found from long and bitter experience that I personally work best and burnout less if I can work alone.

Your post is not at all annoying or ridiculous - it's quite a common concern for many people on the spectrum who are able to work but find that not all situations are good for them. Perfectly legitimate question and dilemma.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 9:20 am

I prefer working in the daytime, when my mind works best. I do work afternoons on alternate Saturdays, and the work goes quickly. There is always something to do, which makes the day go by fast.

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2017, 9:53 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
It depends. If the work still entails a lot of contact with your fellow employees and a manager, etc, like stocking shelves in a large store with a whole team of others, there wouldn't be much difference between it happening in the day or the night shift. And if you really feel that you could handle or even welcome that level of interaction, go for it and see how it works out.

But if the job working at night involves nobody being around -- like a janitor cleaning a deserted office building at night, that does make for a difference, and obviously suits a solitary person better. Personally I would rather take that solitary night job if it means I get to be alone, as I've found from long and bitter experience that I personally work best and burnout less if I can work alone.

Your post is not at all annoying or ridiculous - it's quite a common concern for many people on the spectrum who are able to work but find that not all situations are good for them. Perfectly legitimate question and dilemma.

Thank you for your comment & understanding, the part about being solitary person sounds interesting to me. I will think about what you said for future reference, again thank you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

I've been working nights for years. From 1982 to about 1993; then from 2000 to present.

I like it. And I get night differential!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 6:21 am

Grayson Terry: you're absolutely welcome. :)

kraftie -- I had no idea you work nights! Since you have an office job and mention co-workers, I always envisioned you showing up every morning and just being there 9 to 5!

You did say you have minimal interaction with co-workers though; I guess I just thought you meant you didn't get interrupted a lot in your work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:27 pm

After about 6 PM or so, I'm one of very few people in my office.

I'm in the back. Nobody comes back to visit---maybe they suspect I'm hiding somebody there :skull:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 10:05 pm

I'd go for the night job first, as long as I wasn't worried about finding it too meaningless without seeing someone else doing it. However, I am more of a night owl than most people. Much depends on how well you tolerate the interaction of the day job. It is good to keep challenging yourself there to a comfortable extent, lest you lose social mobility.

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

When I was younger I had trouble getting up in the morning so I liked working at 4pm. Now that I am in my 30's, I like working at 7:30am because I know I am fresher in the mornings, growing more foggy as the day goes on.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm

Only daytime, because nightime affects my circadian rhythm in a very negative way.

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2017, 10:15 pm

fselzr wrote:
Only daytime, because nightime affects my circadian rhythm in a very negative way.

Really? How?