Jack Ma - 4 hours a day 4 days a week: Thoughts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

XMildpetrichorX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2017, 10:47 am

Do you think that this could be a possibility in the next 30 years ? I'm on the fence with this one.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/alibabas ... years.html

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 11:17 am

George Jetson worked those sort of hours.

But I actually believe that the "average" hours worked will actually INCREASE over the next 30 years, owing to peoples' desire to make as much money as possible.

Many people work "overtime" these days.

XMildpetrichorX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2017, 11:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
George Jetson worked those sort of hours.

But I actually believe that the "average" hours worked will actually INCREASE over the next 30 years, owing to peoples' desire to make as much money as possible.

Many people work "overtime" these days.

Why do you feel it will increase?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 11:52 am

Because people will work more "elective" overtime.

There has been a trend towards this in recent times.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 1:57 pm

Within a US context:

The 35-40 hour week has been standard since about WWII (the 1940s). There's no indication that this is going to change.

For a while, there was a slight trend towards 4-day weeks---but with 10 hour days. But now, this sort of arrangement is rare.

This is because unions, and "labor" in general, has been losing influence. There are pensions which are going belly-up, or being reduced. And things like 401k's have replaced pensions in many instances.

Many more people are working longer hours---especially in jobs which are "exempt" (i.e., exempt from the wage/hour laws). Many jobs in IT, for example, are "exempt." There is also a trend towards making employees "independent contractors," which puts more of a burden on the worker, too.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 2:43 pm

(wait, 401ks aren't pensions???? i've a lot to learn yet.... :mrgreen: )

of course more people are going to work longer, in any case when wages don't increase while cost of living does. it's just survival.

i like the news -or claim- that large companies are in decline while smaller businesses are being granted more exposure, but the retail apocalypse signals to me otherwise. one wonders at what point intervention will happen to break up a possible monopoly.

Quote:
"The first technology revolution caused World War I," he said. "The second technology revolution caused World War II. This is the third technology revolution."

what?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 3:53 pm

I mis-stated. 401k's are "pensions"---but not in the "traditional" sense.

It takes a lot more money (as spent by yourself) to get a decent pension out of a 401k than it does to get a decent pension out of a "traditional" union pension.