Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 5:21 pm

I am currently applying for a very high-level job at a university. On one of the application pages there was the typical optional questionnaire for affirmative action quotas asking about race gender and disability. Interestingly, for the first time I saw a check box on this form for "Autsim Spectrum Disorder."

My gut reaction is that I don't want to draw attention away from my work and education strengths on my resume. However... for the first time it is occurring to me that ASD people are considered by the government to be underrepresented minorities in the workplace. Is there any possible way it could actually BENEFIT me? Would I actually be more likely to be hired? My gut says no. It feels like a trick somehow. I thought I'd ask around about everyone else's experiences with this.

Edit: I should mention this is a job in the USA

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 5:31 pm

Fern wrote:
I am currently applying for a very high-level job at a university. On one of the application pages there was the typical optional questionnaire for affirmative action quotas asking about race gender and disability. Interestingly, for the first time I saw a check box on this form for "Autsim Spectrum Disorder."

My gut reaction is that I don't want to draw attention away from my work and education strengths on my resume. However... for the first time it is occurring to me that ASD people are considered by the government to be underrepresented minorities in the workplace. Is there any possible way it could actually BENEFIT me? Would I actually be more likely to be hired? My gut says no. It feels like a trick somehow. I thought I'd ask around about everyone else's experiences with this.

Optional demographic information doesn't necessarily help your chances in getting employed, but it can certainly help you in explaining (subtly or even silently) any behaviors and characteristics that might make the interviewer wonder. If you check the box for Autism Spectrum Disorder, you might get asked about it (in which case, talk about the ways it helps you, not the ways it troubles you). Also, by disclosing a disability (even if nothing gets said about the checked box), you are protected in that workplace under state and federal laws from that point on. If you disclose and still aren't selected for employment, I doubt that it would be because of your disclosure. The employer could have done only what laws require and nothing else, but they chose to give you the choice. It seems to me they are actively seeking autists. Still, it is entirely up to you whether you disclose or not. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 5:46 pm

VIRTUALLY EVERY potential employer nowadays asks applicants to disclose whether they are "disabled" or not. Even for jobs in retail.

This is a high-level university position. If I were you, I wouldn't disclose, since most candidates for the position probably will not have a disability, or at least not disclose that they have one. You would "stand out," so to speak.

If you know they are actually seeking autistic people, then by all means disclose---but you really have to know FOR SURE.

Once hired, you could seek the requisite accommodations. There is the tendency for universities to be more willing to accommodate people with disabilities than people outside of universities.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 6:29 pm

Good to know. Yeah, that was what I suspected.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 6:45 pm

AspieUtah is a smart guy, and has access to certain things which I might not have access to.

Perhaps he knows something I do not. And I think he has a point.

It is true that being hired, despite having a disability, in small numbers, will exponentially increase that number, especially if the disabled people turn out to be at least as good as non-disabled people at doing the same or similar job. In layman's terms, this is called "putting your foot in the door while having status as a disabled person." Disabled people have to prove that they can do the job. The only way this could happen is if people are hired as openly disabled people.

But, in the process of this political gain, there will be others who are not so fortunate, and who are not hired because of their disabled status. Not being hired could be economically disastrous.

In the vast majority of cases, I would still not take a chance on disclosing at this point, all things considered.

Perhaps, in the future, with more people "taking the sacrifice," people with disabled status will make inroads, and destroy the innate prejudices of those without disabilities.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 7:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
AspieUtah is a smart guy, and has access to certain things which I might not have access to.

Perhaps he knows something I do not. And I think he has a point.

It is true that being hired, despite having a disability, in small numbers, will exponentially increase that number, especially if the disabled people turn out to be at least as good as non-disabled people at doing the same or similar job. In layman's terms, this is called "putting your foot in the door while having status as a disabled person." Disabled people have to prove that they can do the job. The only way this could happen is if people are hired as openly disabled people.

But, in the process of this political gain, there will be others who are not so fortunate, and who are not hired because of their disabled status. Not being hired could be economically disastrous.

In the vast majority of cases, I would still not take a chance on disclosing at this point, all things considered.

Perhaps, in the future, with more people "taking the sacrifice," people with disabled status will make inroads, and destroy the innate prejudices of those without disabilities.

:oops: Thanks. I have been lucky enough to serve in several high-profile jobs. When I was the marketing vice president for my university's credit union (one of the largest CUs in my state), I was required to hire an assistant due to my spinal problems. I tried so hard to be fair that I saw the good in every applicant, and felt terrible turning away the other great applicants. If the OP's potential employer included the option of "Autism Spectrum Disorder" among its demographic questions without being required to do so, I have to believe that they meant it to be a "dog whistle" in the recruitment of an autist. Take the chance. You might just get the job!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 9:25 pm

I do think it is a university-wide form that I was filling out, not department-specific. I see both of your points of view. It seems there isn't one clear answer for all cases, but that I'll have to weigh costs and benefits.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 4:22 am

Fern wrote:

Edit: I should mention this is a job in the USA

They do not collect that data to meet affirmative action quotas, as there is no affirmative action in the U.S. and there are no affirmative action quotas. The data collected in that section is merely to give the government an idea of the demographics of employment, usually by the department of labor and statistics or something like that.

They also collect similar data on students who apply and are admitted to universities, and this data is published for those who are interested in such things. Universities, however, do tend to aim for "diversity" as it is often used as a selling point. How they obtain that diversity is rather unscientific and more qualitative than quantitative.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 4:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
VIRTUALLY EVERY potential employer nowadays asks applicants to disclose whether they are "disabled" or not. Even for jobs in retail.

This is a high-level university position. If I were you, I wouldn't disclose, since most candidates for the position probably will not have a disability, or at least not disclose that they have one. You would "stand out," so to speak.

If you know they are actually seeking autistic people, then by all means disclose---but you really have to know FOR SURE.

Once hired, you could seek the requisite accommodations. There is the tendency for universities to be more willing to accommodate people with disabilities than people outside of universities.

My university accommodated employees with disabilities better than students with disabilities. But full time employees were unionized and had OSHA behind them.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:30 am

It worked for me but that was when they were recruiting specifically for affirmative action. They were upfront about it.

So did you get the job? :)

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:44 am

I study working autistic adults, not really right now because of some health problems, but I was actively looking at this within the past few months.

In real life (as a manager years ago) and in my research, I have seen autistic adults discriminate against other autistic adults based on autism disclosures or autistic mannerisms AND I have seen people on and off the spectrum hire autistics BECAUSE OF their disclosure or mannerisms. Before I knew about autism, I hired an autistic type myself because I had two chatty employees and I didn't want a third chatty employee.

I say go with your gut either way. If it seems like a secret handshake, disclose. If it feels like a trick, don't.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 6:10 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
I tried so hard to be fair that I saw the good in every applicant, and felt terrible turning away the other great applicants. If the OP's potential employer included the option of "Autism Spectrum Disorder" among its demographic questions without being required to do so, I have to believe that they meant it to be a "dog whistle" in the recruitment of an autist. Take the chance. You might just get the job!

I tend to avoid mentioning ASD during job applications.

Even though my employer can get certain benefits for hiring me if I mentioned my ASD diagnosis, my experience tells me that most employers simply don't care and prefer not to hire someone with ASD than to risk hiring them and not know what to do with them. There's still too much ignorance with respect to the qualities of people with ASD and too much prejudice with respect to the possible downsides.

I've seen more than one employer reconsider my potential as an employee the moment I mentioned ASD.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 7:39 pm

I would not check that box.

aspieprincess123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2019, 4:18 am

Why would you not check the box.

It may be different in the UK but my partner would not be in the job he is in now and he earns easily over £35,000 a year in fact he doubles my salary and part of how he got the job was because he ticked the disability box including for ASD and epilepsy.

It's maybe different here because if you have a disability as long as you meet the required criteria you are given an interview and in my partners job interview they were prepared for his brunt and direct approach and they even said if they were now aware he had Asperger they would have declined him simply on his social skills.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 8:35 am

aspieprincess123 wrote:

It may be different in the UK but my partner would not be in the job he is in now and he earns easily over £35,000 a year in fact he doubles my salary and part of how he got the job was because he ticked the disability box including for ASD and epilepsy.

... because not everyone is that lucky.

My experience is that employers in my field (computer programming) typically lose interest the moment you mention ASD, in spite of any financial benefits they could get.

Too many employers still think of people with ASD as a liability rather than as a potential opportunity... even in IT, which is a field where ASD is commonly known to be more often than not a strength rather than a weakness.

I've tried both mentioning ASD and not mentioning ASD during job applications, and I've found that not mentioning ASD provides the best results in my particular case.

aspieprincess123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2019, 10:58 am

aspiesavant wrote:
aspieprincess123 wrote:

... because not everyone is that lucky.

My experience is that employers in my field (computer programming) typically lose interest the moment you mention ASD, in spite of any financial benefits they could get.

Too many employers still think of people with ASD as a liability rather than as a potential opportunity... even in IT, which is a field where ASD is commonly known to be more often than not a strength rather than a weakness.

I've tried both mentioning ASD and not mentioning ASD during job applications, and I've found that not mentioning ASD provides the best results in my particular case.

Can I ask if you are in the UK or America as I know some places in the USA are still in the dark when it comes to autism. Things in the UK are better like my partner for example cause he's basically an expert in network systems he's allowed flexibility in the clothes he wears as he hates wearing trousers and prefers wearing cargo trousers.