Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 11:51 pm

Can you feed your cat wet can food twice or three times day if you don't have dry food?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 12:07 am

Yes, but dry food cleans their teeth better, so best not to make it a habit.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jun 2017, 4:01 am

Some think feeding a cat wet food is better than dry food. I think giving a cat 3 cans of wet food a day is a bit much. I think 2wice a day might be OK thou. What my girlfriend does is give the cat a 4th of a can 2wice a day if they're bigger cans or give half a can 2wice a day if they're smaller 1s & she keeps dry food available at all times. The cat my girlfriend is sort of borrowing rite now prefers dry food to her wet food. She usually barely eats any of her wet food for breakfast but will eat her dry food & she leaves some of her wet supper too but eats dry food. My girlfriend tried changing different wet foods but the cat still prefers dry food.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2017, 4:20 am

Wet food is fine, dry food is fine. Whatever suits you and your cat.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 5:26 pm

My cat is now able to eat both wet and dry cat food well since she had some bad teeth removed. She can even eat some special treats.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 8:07 am

I'm pretty sure it's fine. My cats used to only eat wet food when they were kittens, but we switched them to dry because it is less expensive. The wet food keeps them hydrated, according to our vet. We compensate by making sure they always have lots of water.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 8:30 am

The ideal is to have them eat both wet and dry. An all-dry diet is actually really bad for them.

Dry food can clean off their teeth but it's also a largely dry food diet that can give rise to the kidney failure so many cats fall prey to. Even when you of course provide water, cats sometimes do not even really drink enough to compensate for a mostly dry diet.

Wet food in their diet means they can get more moisture from a second source. So ideally it's good to have dry food available but also make at least half their food intake be wet food.

It's also suggested to put their water dish AWAY from any food dishes. It sounds odd but apparently researchers have found that a cat drinks more water, more regularly, when the water is kept separate from their food. Even though obviously they DO drink when the bowl is right next to the food, the reports say they are found to drink less when it's adjacent, more when it's across the room.

I'm not sure why, you can google on it for more information.