Kansas farmers call for increased immigration

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 2:31 pm

Quote:
However, we need some kind of guest worker program here because many regions/industries are facing a real labor shortage and it is a serious drag on the economy

We have several. And the employers aren't crying out for more legal immigrants and legal workers. They are crying out for undocumented ones. They can't provide basic things like regular access to water or a sanitary place for workers to relieve themselves. They want workers to work long hours in brutal conditions and pay them next to nothing or cheat them. They want the illegal workers to use part of what they're "paid" to lodge in an old trailer unfit for human habitation on that property. They want modern slavery.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 3:18 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Quote:
However, we need some kind of guest worker program here because many regions/industries are facing a real labor shortage and it is a serious drag on the economy

We have several. And the employers aren't crying out for more legal immigrants and legal workers. They are crying out for undocumented ones. They can't provide basic things like regular access to water or a sanitary place for workers to relieve themselves. They want workers to work long hours in brutal conditions and pay them next to nothing or cheat them. They want the illegal workers to use part of what they're "paid" to lodge in an old trailer unfit for human habitation on that property. They want modern slavery.

Nope. You do not know what you are talking about.

Employers here are taking every native, legal and illegal worker they can get to supply people like you with meat a poultry. My neighborhood is full of these workers, and like I said before, they make about $14-$15/hr plus benefits...
I live next door to a huge Marshallese immigrant family. They live in a fairly nice house and every damn one of them (even the high school kids) has a car! It makes parking a huge pain in the ass. These people are not being exploited. They are living the American dream. And by the way, most of the kids are headed to college, so the next gen won't be working in chicken plants. This means we're gonna need even more immigrant labor to keep things going.

Everyone who can/wants to work here has a job and there are still more jobs to be had. As a consequence, this is one of the fastest growing regions in the country, and we have the largest population of legal Marshallese immigrants in the world. Soon, more of them will live here than in the islands...

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 12:43 am

Quote:
Nope. You do not know what you are talking about.

What exactly makes you an authority?

Quote:
Employers here are taking every native, legal and illegal worker they can get to supply people like you with meat a poultry. My neighborhood is full of these workers, and like I said before, they make about $14-$15/hr plus benefits...
I live next door to a huge Marshallese immigrant family. They live in a fairly nice house and every damn one of them (even the high school kids) has a car! It makes parking a huge pain in the ass. These people are not being exploited. They are living the American dream. And by the way, most of the kids are headed to college, so the next gen won't be working in chicken plants. This means we're gonna need even more immigrant labor to keep things going.

Good for those legal documented immigrants. That doesn't change the fact that illegal undocumented immigrants flying under the radar are exploited and never go through the necessary medical and background screening to come here. The article advocated for more undocumented workers. Exploitable workers.

Quote:
Everyone who can/wants to work here has a job and there are still more jobs to be had. As a consequence, this is one of the fastest growing regions in the country, and we have the largest population of legal Marshallese immigrants in the world. Soon, more of them will live here than in the islands...

Like I said, good for those legal documented immigrants.

Since you mention a chicken plant:
Exploitation and Abuse at the Chicken Plant
Case Farms built its business by recruiting immigrant workers from Guatemala, who endure conditions few Americans would put up with.
By Michael Grabell
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... cken-plant

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2017, 7:17 am

Jacoby wrote:
exploitative illegal labor must stop.

Agreed. We must legalise all immigration so that immigrants can access their legal rights and not be exploited by the fear of deportation. It will also supply our countries with the immigration that they desperately need. Everyone wins.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jun 2017, 7:41 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Agreed. We must legalise all immigration so that immigrants can access their legal rights and not be exploited by the fear of deportation. It will also supply our countries with the immigration that they desperately need. Everyone wins.

Why do you hate your country and its people so much?

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2017, 9:39 am

Jacoby wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Non-sequitur much?

Anyway, Trump won by exciting visceral hatred and mistrust of foreigners. Not by common sense, or by advocating any scenario where "everyone wins."

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2017, 1:30 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

This is a non-sequitur.

We know that immigration is good for a country. I support immigration. That means I support my country.

You even agree that illegal immigration has to end - the only way to do that is to legalise it. Prohibition doesn't work!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 1:45 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
...the only way to do that is to legalise it. Prohibition doesn't work!

It IS legal!! They're not illegal, cuz they're not allowed to come, here----they're illegal, because they haven't gone-through the proper channels!!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jun 2017, 5:14 pm

It's illegal to enter without the proper paperwork, and it's very hard to get the proper paperwork. There shouldn't be a need to go through "proper channels" or get the proper paperwork. Everyone should be allowed in, and currently, lots of people legally can't come in.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 6:00 pm

I am at a loss for civil words, assuming there is a market for the wasted food, and you still can't pay an American wage. This is when you need a break from the computer. 8O

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 10:50 am

Quote:
It's illegal to enter without the proper paperwork, and it's very hard to get the proper paperwork. There shouldn't be a need to go through "proper channels" or get the proper paperwork. Everyone should be allowed in, and currently, lots of people legally can't come in.

INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND
INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY

Quote:
Sec. 212. [8 U.S.C. 1182]

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise
provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs
are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United
States:

(1) Health-related grounds.-

(A) In general.-Any alien-

(i) who is
determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health
and Human Services) to have a communicable disease of public health
significance; 1b

(ii) 1except as provided in subparagraph (C) 1a who seeks admission as an
immigrant, or who seeks adjustment of status to the status of an alien lawfully
admitted for permanent residence, and who has failed to present documentation of
having received vaccination against vaccine-preventable diseases, which shall
include at least the following diseases: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus
and diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B and hepatitis B, and any
other vaccinations against vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the
Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices,

(iii) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the
Secretary of Health and Human Services in consultation with the Attorney
General)-

(I) to have a physical or mental disorder and behavior associated with the
disorder that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety, or
welfare of the alien or others, or

(II) to have had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior
associated with the disorder, which behavior has posed a threat to the property,
safety, or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur
or to lead to other harmful behavior, or

(iv) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the
Secretary of Health and Human Services) to be a drug abuser or addict, is
inadmissible.

If they are undocumented, then no. We don't know that they are allowed to enter at all. Some people are barred from any entry at all. Some people are barred from entering to immigrate. That is as it should be to ensure the health and well being of everybody in our nation. No, I do not want a terrorist entering at will. No, I do not want someone with active tuberculosis Ebola entering at will. No, I don't want rapists and murderers and pet torturing psychopaths to enter at will. No, I don't want some foreign warlord or Nazi to enter freely. We have enough of our own wannabes. I don't want them to enter, and I don't want them to settle here. I want them screened. I want them barred from entry.

It's not hard at all to get a tourist visa. It is appropriately hard to become a lawful permanent resident and then citizen. There are a lot of work visas out there, and while we could possibly look into that, we can't even employ all the citizens and lawful permanent residents who are already here- so no, I don't think we need to expand that at all.

Quote:
We know that immigration is good for a country. I support immigration
Legal immigration is good for a country. It's certainly good for mine. Illegal immigration is not because ANYBODY can come in.

Quote:
Prohibition doesn't work!

<sarcasm>While we're at it, let's legalize rape and cocaine. </sarcasm>

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2017, 4:54 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Perfectly good food is getting thrown away because there aren't enough workers to harvest it. This is harming businesses and the people who rely on them.

As well as farms, apparently this is having a serious impact on the construction industry. Americans aren't getting the houses they need because the immigration policy is causing a shortage of builders.

Gee, do you not think perhaps the masses of immigrants in America (both documented and undocumented) might be contributing to the housing shortage since ... guess what ... they also need to be housed themselves.

The_Walrus wrote:
America's size means that it needs immigrants more than almost anywhere, but this highlights the importance of immigration reform for all countries. Immigration is very good for the economy and society at large because it increases the amount of work done. Make it easy for people to immigrate and everyone benefits.

Yes, America should strive to let in around 2 or 3 billion more people, because the most important thing for any society is obviously that the economy keeps growing and that more work gets done! And every other country needs loads more immigrants too! It’s a shame that the net migration of the whole planet can only ever be zero, but never mind – the fact of billions of earthlings moving from country to country will surely in itself make things better for all of us. :lol:

The_Walrus wrote:
Kansas has an unemployment rate of around 2%. That's very very low. Many of those people are not suitable for jobs in agriculture or construction. They might have mobility problems, or they're graduates seeking (and capable of performing) skilled work, or they aren't suitable for physical jobs, or they're just temporarily between jobs in a promising career, There simply aren't the people to take the jobs without immigration.

You write like someone fishing for marks from a humanities professor, but you screw it up. First you try to impress us with a single statistic you looked up (“Kansas has an unemployment rate of around 2%”), then you make some educated guesses on what lies behind the statistics (“some of them might have mobility problems” – well, yeah, no kidding), and then you take some ridiculous leap of logic at the end (“There simply aren't the people to take the jobs without immigration.”)

Huh? What about people in other states? Any actual data on farm jobs unfilled in Kansas vs people able and willing to work in the entire country? What about people in work but looking to change jobs?

Jacoby wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I stand by what I said in a previous thread. People like Walrus post globalist pro-immigration propaganda because it makes them feel elite. He probably also enjoys the fact that it annoys people, and that he can hide behind the pretence of being altruistic.

You ever see Walrus posting articles about how … I dunno … fishermen in Argentina need more government subsidies or steel works in Poland need safer equipment or Japan needs families to have more children or anything like that? Nah, but he sees a pro-immigration article in some globalist rag and suddenly he’s pretending to care about farmers in Kansas. What a joke.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:04 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Perfectly good food is getting thrown away because there aren't enough workers to harvest it.

Unsatisfied consumer demand means that the point of sale will support a higher rate of pay.

They can afford to hire citizens, and can't get enough illegals. There's a win-win, in that, where everyone is happy.

The problem is that people are intent on the demographic displacement of nominally-white, assimilated Americans. They want to be stubborn, so will not hire locals, of the cultural majority, at the prevailing standard of living. This is politics, not math.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:14 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Very interesting article here about the desperate need for more immigrants in the American midwest, an area heavily dependent on agricultural labour.

Quote:
Undocumented immigrants make up about half the workforce in U.S. agriculture, according to various estimates. But that pool of labor is shrinking, which could spell trouble for farms, feedlots, dairies, and meatpacking plants—particularly in a state such as Kansas, where unemployment in many counties is barely half the already tight national rate. “Two weeks ago, my boss told me, ‘I need more Mexicans like you,’” says a 25-year-old immigrant employed at a farm in the southwest part of the state, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he’s trying to get his paperwork in order. “I said, ‘Well, they’re kind of hard to find.’”

Perfectly good food is getting thrown away because there aren't enough workers to harvest it. This is harming businesses and the people who rely on them.

As well as farms, apparently this is having a serious impact on the construction industry. Americans aren't getting the houses they need because the immigration policy is causing a shortage of builders.

America's size means that it needs immigrants more than almost anywhere, but this highlights the importance of immigration reform for all countries. Immigration is very good for the economy and society at large because it increases the amount of work done. Make it easy for people to immigrate and everyone benefits.

Yes! This is excellent!

Conservatives keep arguing that "libtarded fruitcakes" are responsible for all of this immigration.

Wake up. Big business is largely responsible for this. Big businesses want hard-working employees who will accept low wages. They want immigrants. They don't want fat, lazy Americans.

If these immigrants are getting hired, this just means that the average American isn't working hard enough. :wink:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

jcCoolidgejr.
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2017, 5:20 pm

Kansas is a loser of a state but there's no other way to put it. Missouri is a far better in business, tourism, and farming. They can't outcompete Missorui's cities of St. Louis, Kansas City, or Springfeild in production or commerce. They can't outcompete the beauty of the Ozarks. And they can't outcompete southern Missori cattle or northern Missouri cotton and crop. They want a leg up on their smarter and more successful neighbor.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:27 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
If these immigrants are getting hired, this just means that the average American isn't working hard enough. :wink:

Applicants are right to refuse any employment, whatsoever, which does not provide first world living standards or will never lead to such.

There are two parties to every contract. You seem to believe that the social contract obliges the labor, but not the management -- even when food and sanitation are discussed, implying starvation and disease.

Are you a speculator. How do you speculate on a commodity, which they refuse to bring to market, without the right demographic. If they hire local, it gets sold.

Where is the objectivity.

Last edited by friedmacguffins on 27 Jun 2017, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.