Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

d057
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 3:27 pm

I found this article "requiring applicant with Asperger's to sit psychometric test ruled as discrimination" on Facebook and I thought I would share it here. I have seen these psychometric tests in some of the jobs I have applied for in the past.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin ... 34206.html

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

Quote:
It noted that Ms Brooks was a capable young woman who, with the benefit of adjustments, had obtained a law degree and had come close to reaching the required mark of 14 in the SJT.

So now "close enough is good enough" is it? She failed the test, so she shouldn't be compensated for anything, and not getting the job was the right outcome. The excuse that having Asperger's Syndrome made it more difficult to complete a multiple-choice test is hogwash, because multiple-choice questions are actually much easier to answer correctly than any other kind, and having A.S. in no way hinders a person in this regard.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 10:05 pm

Lintar wrote:
Quote:
It noted that Ms Brooks was a capable young woman who, with the benefit of adjustments, had obtained a law degree and had come close to reaching the required mark of 14 in the SJT.

So now "close enough is good enough" is it? She failed the test, so she shouldn't be compensated for anything, and not getting the job was the right outcome. The excuse that having Asperger's Syndrome made it more difficult to complete a multiple-choice test is hogwash, because multiple-choice questions are actually much easier to answer correctly than any other kind, and having A.S. in no way hinders a person in this regard.

Unless the test is in a factual subject, I typically find situational multiple choice tests difficult because I often feel that I don't have enough information on the situation with which I'm presented, or the options I'm given are not how I would actually respond.

I do much better when there is a person there who can give clarifications or examples of the situation at hand, and the answer is not multiple choice but one I can formulate myself.