Star Trek 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Into Darkness 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Beyond 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 9:21 pm

While some people might choose The Final Frontier, I would actually probably go with Insurrection.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 4:27 am

Yep, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 10:02 pm

I've only seen The Motion Picture. It was enough to put me off watching any more Star Trek movies.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 4:58 am

DeepHour wrote:
I've only seen The Motion Picture. It was enough to put me off watching any more Star Trek movies.

That's too bad. Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home are worth watching. So is First Contact. Watch those if not the others.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2017, 1:08 am

For me, it's Star Trek, because of it, I have no desire to see the others in that reboot.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 2:55 pm

It's a tie between Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: The Final Frontier.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 3:12 pm

If you only saw the theatrical release of 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture,' or any televised incarnation of it after that, then you haven't seen the actual film, just a pre-release rush cut. Director Robert Wise was forced by Paramount to have the film edited and ready for the premiere, even though fully half of the special effects sequences were not finished at that time. The result was a bloated, lethargic, unfinished, raw abortion of a film that puts newbies off Star Trek to this day.

In 2000, Wise released a 'Director's Cut' of the film on DvD, complete with finished special effects, significantly re-edited, and using some footage from alternate takes. It's a far superior movie, with much improved pacing, a much more satisfying film overall and exactly what ST:TMP should have been in the first place (though the plot is still predictable and derivative of several episodes of the Original TV series).

Sadly, all that work was done specifically for DvD release, as there was no expectation to re-release the film to theaters, therefore all the new digital special effects work was done to the best DvD quality AT THAT TIME, not foreseeing the advent of HD Blu-Ray in the near future.

So, the only way to see the final version of the film is to obtain a copy of that now out-of-print DvD release, as Robert Wise is deceased, and Paramount shows no interest in upgrading the Director's Cut to HD quality. The only version of 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' available on Blu Ray is the inferior theatrical version.

Thanks a lot, Paramount.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:41 pm

Star Trek: The Final Frontier.
The best proof in existence that Shatner MUST NOT be allowed to direct!

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 1:17 am

Nemesis was a strange example of having Data being well developed as a character and probably ready to be much more human-like as he was striving for.

I think there was a belief by the script writers that Audiences only liked Data with his flaws and trying to improve. So the awful plot scheme introduced the previously undiscovered android brother B4 who was given a small headstart by Data downloading his experiences into him.

Basically, they went backwards and Rebooted the Data character by doing this. I do realize Brent Spiner was getting older and didn't think the makeup would work anymore, but I figured the bold character development move would be to do away with the makeup and let Data basically resemble his creator Dr. Soong with maybe just the gold eyes.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:44 am

tb86 wrote:
While some people might choose The Final Frontier, I would actually probably go with Insurrection.

For me it's a tie. Since I had to choose one, I went with final frontier since it's one of the original 6, which I think were better as a whole than the Next Generation ones.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:11 am

will@rd wrote:
If you only saw the theatrical release of 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture,' or any televised incarnation of it after that, then you haven't seen the actual film, just a pre-release rush cut. Director Robert Wise was forced by Paramount to have the film edited and ready for the premiere, even though fully half of the special effects sequences were not finished at that time. The result was a bloated, lethargic, unfinished, raw abortion of a film that puts newbies off Star Trek to this day.

In 2000, Wise released a 'Director's Cut' of the film on DvD, complete with finished special effects, significantly re-edited, and using some footage from alternate takes. It's a far superior movie, with much improved pacing, a much more satisfying film overall and exactly what ST:TMP should have been in the first place (though the plot is still predictable and derivative of several episodes of the Original TV series).

Sadly, all that work was done specifically for DvD release, as there was no expectation to re-release the film to theaters, therefore all the new digital special effects work was done to the best DvD quality AT THAT TIME, not foreseeing the advent of HD Blu-Ray in the near future.

So, the only way to see the final version of the film is to obtain a copy of that now out-of-print DvD release, as Robert Wise is deceased, and Paramount shows no interest in upgrading the Director's Cut to HD quality. The only version of 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' available on Blu Ray is the inferior theatrical version.

Thanks a lot, Paramount.

I had no idea. I've only seen the theatrical version. Does the newer one have any deleted scenes/additional dialogue?

Now I'm curious which version my friends have seen. I thought the movie was the most boring of all of them, not worth watching again unfortunately though.

VIDEODROME wrote:
Nemesis was a strange example of having Data being well developed as a character and probably ready to be much more human-like as he was striving for.

I think there was a belief by the script writers that Audiences only liked Data with his flaws and trying to improve. So the awful plot scheme introduced the previously undiscovered android brother B4 who was given a small headstart by Data downloading his experiences into him.

Basically, they went backwards and Rebooted the Data character by doing this. I do realize Brent Spiner was getting older and didn't think the makeup would work anymore, but I figured the bold character development move would be to do away with the makeup and let Data basically resemble his creator Dr. Soong with maybe just the gold eyes.

Interesting. I actually enjoyed Nemesis, and although what happened at the end came too soon, it did show that Data achieved what he wanted in the end.