What do you think happened to Otto Warmbier?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2017, 11:26 pm

It is very sad and tragic what happened to this young man while he was in North Korea. He made a mistake that tragically costed his life. After being in North Korea for a year and a half, he was released last week and was in a vegetative state. He died the other day and his funeral was held yesterday. The North Koreans claim that he contracted botulism after they gave him a sleeping pill, but doctors have seen no evidence to support their claim. The doctors also said that he showed no signs of physical trauma. My theory is that the North Koreans drugged him shortly after his sentencing which deprived him of oxygen to the brain which put him in a vegetative state. They say that he went into this vegetative state the day after his sentencing back in March 2016. Since there were no signs of beatings or botulism, I don't know what else could have happened to him other than giving him powerful drugs. No matter how you look at it, it is very outrageous what happened to this young man. You can put blame on him and his family for allowing him to go to North Korea, but this should never happen to anyone.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 12:38 am

what happened to him was totally messed up, and maybe that's an understatement, but i'm not defending what he did.

you don't go into a crazy person's house, steal his stuff and think you'll make it out fine.

it's just a thought, but i'd say they drugged him and intended to keep him in a vegetative state, but the death was unintentional. the norks are just the kind of people who'd find joy in having the kid's parents see him that way.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:50 am

No way was he kept alive in a coma on North Korean health system but died quickly on US health system.

I say he was held for a year in some gruesome labour camp then shortly before release injected with something that would slowly kill him, once he was in state of coma they release him knowing he will never wake up and therefore can never tell the world what happens in NK.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 11:10 am

I've actually thought-of a scenario, similar to what happened in the movie "A Few Good Men", where they stuffed a rag in his mouth, to get him to shut-up (say, if he was constantly hollerin' that he was an American, and therefore, shouldn't have gotten what he thought was a raw deal)----except, that he didn't die, THEN, of course; but, that it "just" caused him brain damage, because of lack-of-oxygen.

As for why he died, HERE, and not THERE: I figured it was because his parents decided to pull the plug, on 'im.

Higurashi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2017, 1:49 pm

It's a shame that he had to die so young :(

Visiting North Korea is definitely an interesting experience. I guess he had to be more careful and not steal anything. Still, he didn't deserve to die.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 2:29 pm

Why was he in North Korea in the first place and then try to pull criminal mischief...I mean I would say don't go there ever, but if you do probably best to follow all their rules/laws as it sounds like they have a pretty harsh and ridiculous justice system and hard labor in sh*t conditions as a penalty. Uhh it's sad but it sounds like this kid had no business being there.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 3:25 pm

He was there on holiday. I would seriously love to go, I know 2 people that have been (one on an organised holiday and one that has crossed the border illegally twice across the Yalu River from China - he said it is not that unusual, there are boats taking groups across who are willing to pay guards bribes, you get to wander round a market but no further)

Otto's fellow holidaymakers say he did not do what he was accused of. They were with him when he was accused of it.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 3:25 pm

He was there on holiday. I would seriously love to go, I know 2 people that have been (one on an organised holiday and one that has crossed the border illegally twice across the Yalu River from China - he said it is not that unusual, there are boats taking groups across who are willing to pay guards bribes, you get to wander round a market but no further)

Otto's fellow holidaymakers say he did not do what he was accused of. They were with him when he was accused of it.