Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Copelandia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2017, 10:00 am

Does anyone else find this a total f*****g nightmare to deal with?!

I'm a freelancer so every 'client' is an employer.

Things that drive me nuts are:
-moving goalposts!!
-clients not knowing what they want, me trying to do my best but it not being what they expected.... then I get blamed its my fault
-clients thinking they know more than I do about my job and not listening to my professional advice. then blaming me when things go wrong
-managing expectations of clients
-people being mean

So Im doing a one day a week office admin job -finances. Its boring as f**k but its just following a system. I'm not trained but I'm teaching myself. Obviously having a bit of AS really helps with doing the numbers and filing and systems and boring s**t. Once I know what I need to do I fire through it. I called the 'head' accountant for the company and he seemed to think I have a handle on the basics and confirmed that I do actually understand what is needed to be done.

However my 'boss' is a producer, clearly very NT, shes not very patient and she doesnt know how to do the job either but she keeps taking actions that undermine me. Her systems and for working are overly-complicated and take lots of time to implement. She doesn't understand the programs we use such as XERO- or how to use them but seems annoyed by my slowness.

This woman is upsetting me already. For example she took it upon herself to do my work in her free time, saying I've done stuff incorrectly (when I haven't- I checked!!) and I even found emails in which she said they needed a pro accountant or book-keeper. She emailed me telling me to do things that I had done, told me she had to delete stuff that was wrong (nothing looked deleted to me) but she hadn't deleted something that I checked and found WAS wrong and she also hadn't paid someone. She then went and deleted an invoice to a company that was totally fine and filed an incorrect invoice in its place!!

She overwhelms me with information, doesn't take the time to explain what needs doing properly, leaves me unclear instructions or tells me to do work that I cant possibly do. Like file expense receipts when I don't have them. She gave me a spreadsheet she started making with half the information on it and told me to finish it when I don't have the information to finish it with.

She also emailed the company account telling me to contact her urgently...well I don't check the company account unless I am working for them. How am I supposed to respond to anything urgent if she does that?! Why didn't she text me?!

I've done 2 shifts and feel she is already trying to get me out.

I've had a really hard time in life recently (house eviction and relationship ended).... that f****d up my ability to work with clients and thats f*****g up my finances now. I can't deal with another kick to the teeth but this kind of stuff turns me into a rabbit in the headlights.

Its driving me mad but I need to keep the work.

I spent TWO HOURS agonizing over an email to her. It wasn't long but it made me so anxious to send it because it does challenge her and the things she does a bit.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:03 pm

She sounds really f****d up. Find another client quickly while your morale is high and then ditch her.
And definitely tell her what you think. It might make her back off a little and not treat you so disrespectfully.