Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 7:32 pm

EzraS wrote:
StinkyDog wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Most of this kind of stuff seems to be produced by disgruntled ex-christians.

Of course it is.

EzraS wrote:
Who probably didn't understand christianity correctly to begin with.

Dost thou understand Christianity correctly?

Probably not, which is why I haven't gotten into it for the wrong reasons and then become disgruntled with it when it didn't work out right for me.

I can see how that would make a person understand it correctly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 8:50 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
StinkyDog wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Most of this kind of stuff seems to be produced by disgruntled ex-christians.

Of course it is.

EzraS wrote:
Who probably didn't understand christianity correctly to begin with.

Dost thou understand Christianity correctly?

Probably not, which is why I haven't gotten into it for the wrong reasons and then become disgruntled with it when it didn't work out right for me.

I can see how that would make a person understand it correctly.

Yet another non sequitur snarky quip from you. A person correctly understands something like becoming a Christian (or a Jew or a Muslim) when they study what it actually entails. It's like someone getting into a profession without correctly understanding what it entails, getting into it for the wrong reasons, which leads to a bad experience, which leads to someone becoming disgruntled with and denouncing the profession.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2017, 2:39 am

If you denounce a profession because it does not really practice in the way it deliberately gives a public image of practising, and there is no innate necessity for that behaviour it's just human corruption, then you still got into it for the right reasons.

e.g. if you became a cop hoping to protect from crime the personal fairness of folks' lives, and found that policing decisions were instead taken by a crowd control attitude to society's overall stability without a value of personal fairness. Your hopes were right and were how it should be, while how it is is a choice not a necessity.

An example very relevant to all religion/atheism debates. If you become a scientist, expecting science to be the impartial investigation of truth that it should be and it claims to be, and instead you experience the peer review system and the editorial bias of scientific journals, forbidding research into disapproved things and publication of disapproved conclusions.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 10:11 am

EzraS wrote:

The man in the video became a Christian because his parents forced him into it. He may have entered Christianity "for the wrong reasons", but you can't really hold him accountable for it. His parents were to blame.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 10:39 am

StinkyDog wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The man in the video became a Christian because his parents forced him into it. He may have entered Christianity "for the wrong reasons", but you can't really hold him accountable for it. His parents were to blame.

Then perhaps his gripe should be with his parents.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 10:44 am

EzraS wrote:

That would make for less of a career as a lecturer.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 4:47 am

StinkyDog wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That would make for less of a career as a lecturer.

Ah so he's just out to make a buck.

And should I view all of christianity as crooked because of crooked televangelist? Or would that be like viewing all charities as crooked because of charity crooks?