How will I continue to hide my dressing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

paintmepink
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2017, 3:55 am

My family and friends have no idea i dress in girls clothing. I wear everything.. and I mean.. everything.

I have this feeling they'd be repulsed and then accepting. However my cousin is constantly making homosexual jokes - which is fine - but instead of feeling like one of the boys, I feel like an outsider.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 1:34 pm

Well either continue the hassle of not wearing girls clothing around them...seems to be the only real way to hide it. But it does seem like a hassle, I imagine if they don't know they would be a bit shocked but if you feel they'd come to accept it may be worth showing them. Maybe if you start with dressing more feminine around them but not full on girls clothes and gauge how they'd react you could decide if you want them to know the full extent of it. Also if you feel it would be best not to tell everyone right away you could always just tell the people you don't think would be judgmental of it to start.

paintmepink
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2017, 5:33 pm

Thank you. That's a great idea!

paintmepink
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2017, 8:31 pm

So I came out to my aunt about it and she was very accepting.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:15 am

^ Hurray for you. :)
Do you want to continue to hide it? Keep it private? Or do you want to be open about it?
I agree with sweetleaf - sometimes an incremental approach is best, then you're not just dropping things on people all the sudden, and they have some time to respond and adjust their behaviour. Plus it's good for you - if they react badly, you haven't proverbially let the cat out of the bag.
You could also just start mentioning a few things - like when your cousin starts with the homophobic jokes, perhaps mention you don't think it's funny and would prefer he didn't do so around you. That might help shift their perceptions, that you are not interested in homophobia, etc.

paintmepink
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 1:20 am

C2V wrote:
^ Hurray for you. :)
Do you want to continue to hide it? Keep it private? Or do you want to be open about it?
I agree with sweetleaf - sometimes an incremental approach is best, then you're not just dropping things on people all the sudden, and they have some time to respond and adjust their behaviour. Plus it's good for you - if they react badly, you haven't proverbially let the cat out of the bag.
You could also just start mentioning a few things - like when your cousin starts with the homophobic jokes, perhaps mention you don't think it's funny and would prefer he didn't do so around you. That might help shift their perceptions, that you are not interested in homophobia, etc.

I told my cousin too. He said he will support me emotionally and wants to see my stash.