Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

JustDoYouOK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 9:02 pm

I see alot of these signs and billboards on lawns when I walk my dog and on my way to work,I was wondering why is high school terrible for most of us? I hardly fit in at all except for a few people and the ''nerds'' but other than that I was bored and had a huge meltdown my senior year before my Aspie Diagnosis,I tried my best to fit in but I felt awkward fake and or took myself to seriously for a young person

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 9:54 pm

Forget about high school. It sucks for all of us.

Think about the future, especially college.

JustDoYouOK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 10:00 pm

I don't want to remember high school at all trust me I just can't figure out why everybody seems to have a good time maybe they are all ''NT'' and I ended up leaving after a huge meltdown and picking up my diploma, maybe we aren't wired for NT life or only small doses?

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2017, 10:35 pm

If you were more concerned about socializing than learning, then you were in school for the wrong reason. Most of the other students lives will peak in high school and slowly go downhill from there. The reason is that by focusing on their social lives, they miss the most important lesson from being in school. What they should realize through the course of high school is that they need to learn how to teach themselves, otherwise their progress in life will be severely limited.

For me, I focused on learning as much as I could, and eventually I started to understand myself better. I knew the reason I couldn't communicate was because I didn't fully understand myself. As time went on, I learned how to get past most of my limitations and socializing became far easier. I wasn't completely alone the whole time though. There were a few people that I would talk to, but I made sure that learning was my first priority.

Honestly, seeing how the other students acted made it far easier to not want to socialize. There obviously wouldn't be many intellectually stimulating conversations with them. I'm pretty sure that I was so focused that it didn't cross my mind that often that I was alone most of the time, so it didn't bother me much.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 10:37 pm

High school wasn't terrible for me; in fact, it was the best time of my life. No more bullies, and a group of friends for the first and only time in my life. High school was heaven and I miss it every day.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 12:04 am

It was good for me because I got the help I needed through school and I worked hard and no one bullied me. I had no reason to dislike school. The only thing I didn't like was PE due to lazy students and I hated my twenty minute class because too many kids dropped out and it wasn't fun when my school would do this contest thing every year and one year my class didn't do it because none of the kids wanted to and there weren't lot of us anyway due to so many drop outs. That sucked. It wasn't unusual for some of my classes to start out with twenty kids and then it would be down to eight kids by the end of the year. But on the good hand it meant the teacher had more time to help us because of less students and that meant more attention. But I had my aide so it didn't matter.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 10:06 am

It was pretty bad. The stoner culture was at its height the smell of marijuana was almost everywhere and few people could hold a coherent conversation. It was just after the late 60's tumult and the educators were still in shock. They let the kids get away with everything and there were all sorts of poorly thought out experimental programs designed to be relevent but were not relevent but a joke.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Forget about high school. It sucks for all of us.

Think about the future, especially college.

I do agree that high school sucks, but college also sucked for me. I could barely stand doing one semester of dorm living. I've switched majors several times, and it's taken me almost 8 years to get a Bachelor's Degree. College will always be a miserable experience for me. I wonder if anyone else feels the same... I don't get the hype about it.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:38 pm

I feel the same. Community college was probably the worst time of my life. University is better because I don't have to be around my overbearing mom all the time, but I still have a severe friend shortage and I'm always alone in my room. High school was just the bomb.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 3:08 pm

I personally really liked school. Thought it was fun and nice and friendly students. And had fun talking to them. I just hated the educational part of school. Even though that's we go to school in the first place. But was fun talking to classmates you know. Even though I was really loud and unintentionally socially awkward. But that's my autism. It's home life that sucks in my opinion.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 6:43 pm

I was homeschooled since the 5th grade, but I got sick around 10th grade and wasn't able to graduate until about two weeks ago when I found a program in my city that is basically a GED course but gives diplomas instead.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:03 pm

JustDoYouOK wrote:
I see alot of these signs and billboards on lawns when I walk my dog and on my way to work,I was wondering why is high school terrible for most of us? I hardly fit in at all except for a few people and the ''nerds'' but other than that I was bored and had a huge meltdown my senior year before my Aspie Diagnosis,I tried my best to fit in but I felt awkward fake and or took myself to seriously for a young person

What signs and billboards?
Life is awkward for most aspies. The teenage years are awkward for most people, and schools are intended to turn the infinite variety of human life into mindless consumers and reliably stupid voters. If it does not work on us, we are rejects.
"We were learning what to think instead of how." - Jon Sirkis.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

Dear_one wrote:
JustDoYouOK wrote:

What signs and billboards?
Life is awkward for most aspies. The teenage years are awkward for most people, and schools are intended to turn the infinite variety of human life into mindless consumers and reliably stupid voters. If it does not work on us, we are rejects.
"We were learning what to think instead of how." - Jon Sirkis.

The signs are similar to lawn signs during political campaigns. They will say something like....

*Shrine High School is the Catholic high where I live. I just picked random names*

Class of 2017

Shrine Knight Graduate

Joshua/Kylie/whatever the kid's name is

Or

2017 Shrine Knight graduate lives here..

Congratulations Joshua

Usually the signs are in the school colors. They stick into the ground like campaign signs.

Or

Proud Grandma/Grandpa/Grand parents

Of a 2017 Shrine Knight graduate

Kylie

Everywhere is thick with them by me. It also makes it easier to find the house when you have a graduation party.

I'm sure the kids order them at school.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jun 2017, 4:51 am

I guess it might be because of the differences in social structure and education system, but... I loved my high school! It was a small, nerdy, science-oriented school which I could choose for myself. Everyone in my class was somehow odd (who normal would choose the chemistry-physics profile?), so being a bit more odd wasn't a big deal.

It seems to me that in my culture being popular is not as valued as in the US. That might have helped - I didn't need to participate in any social rat racing to secure my position in a group.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

High school was bad for me because of the social stuff and the people who bullied me, but there were some positives too. The schoolwork was pretty easy for me and I had a lot of great supports that I don't get in college. Plus, I enjoyed the routine while it seems so far that in college, you get a lot more freedom which can be nice, but also leaves me not knowing what to do or what is expected of me a lot of the time.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 11:30 am

Tawaki wrote:
The signs are similar to lawn signs during political campaigns. They will say something like....

*Shrine High School is the Catholic high where I live. I just picked random names*

Class of 2017

Shrine Knight Graduate

Joshua/Kylie/whatever the kid's name is

Or

Oh, I've never seen those, but if I ever did, I'd assume I was dealing with a family that kept the kid's attendance trophies on proud display, blissfully unaware that they were showing off their mediocrity awards. Just have yourself a laugh. If I was ever trying to hire help and somebody showed me a diploma from a self-esteem academy, I'd be very careful about giving them an actual test. I've seen HS grads who can't add 10% tax with a calculator, let alone in their heads.