Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Voltaire2017
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2017, 5:30 am

Hi, my name is 'Voltaire2017' and I live in Sydney, Australia. I was diagnosed this year with Asperger's Syndrome, after suffering from bouts of depression and anxiety. I left my job about 2 years ago and am currently enrolled in a university preparation program for adults. I left my job as a clerk after having been bullied over a long period of time by co-workers. I stayed in my job because I liked the security that it brought, disregarding the fact that the toxic work environment was slowly but surely damaging my psychological health. After leaving work, I became housebound and was subsequently diagnosed with depression and anxiety. The psychologist I was seeing also suggested that I had Asperger's Syndrome because he noticed I was not making eye contact during our first session. He suggested I see a psychiatrist so a formal diagnosis could be made. So here I am, in my 30s, trying to cope with life as best I can. I'm taking it day by day and hoping that one day, things will be better for me.
Before diagnosis, I was always anxious - all along, this was due to the fact that I can hear and sense everything. Now, I walk around my home with a pair of ear muffs stuffed with stockings so I can't hear my neighbours going about their business and gossip (I live in an apartment complex). The sensory sensitivities would have to be one of the most challenging aspects of AS. Because I live in poor housing stock (no insulation or soundproofing), it makes life especially difficult. The sensitivity to sounds causes me to sometimes yell and throw my sneakers at the window and this has unfortunately given me a bad reputation among my neighbours, who have labelled me a 'weirdo', little realising that I face these challenges. I don't know if I should explain to them that it is because of my AS - I don't think they will understand. People don't seek out such information - it has to be given to them - even then, they are not always receptive. That is why I joined this forum, so that I won't have to feel so alone. Until next time, Voltaire2017.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 4:55 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:04 pm

Always nice to have another philosopher around. :D

There Are Four Lights!

Voltaire2017
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2017, 1:14 am

Hi Darmok and AnonymousAnonymous,
Thank you for welcoming me into your online community. I tried to reply earlier but an error kept appearing so I left it for a while. I'm happy to be part of a group of people that would understand the feeling of responding to the world in a different way than neurotypicals, who are discombobulated by my quirks. There must be a reason why nature made people like me - can't seem to restrict myself to the unwritten rules of the neurotypical world - the stubborn streak drives me to do things outside of the norm (such as staying up til the early hours of the morning), oftentimes to my own detriment. I will be checking in with you guys from time to time and joining in on forums that spark my interest.
I came across this website while researching my Asperger's, read a few posts and felt an affinity with the people.
Til next time,
Voltaire2017