Large VIQ-PIQ-more indicative of NVLD or ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:12 am

I can only go on online tests. Verbally I average in the upper extreme . Non verbally I average well below average.
I have problems (visuo)spatially, and with executive functioning and slow processing speed.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:43 pm

Thoughts welcomed.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 12:57 pm

Chalk it up as another useless thread. Perhaps the mods could delete it?

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm

I have a thought.

When I had my official evaluation for aspergers (this was prior to the DSM 5), I asked the evaluator something about the difference between Aspergers and NVLD. As it turns out, there isn't a way to compare the two. The diagnosis of Aspergers (and ASD) is a specific psychological profile, while NVLD is a neurological profile. Out in the real world though, it's obvious that people diagnosed with one or the other share a lot of similarities, which leads many people to wonder if they're really the same condition. However not everyone who meets the diagnostic criteria for Aspergers will meet the diagnostic criteria for NVLD, and vice versa.

So I guess what I'm trying to convey is that I don't think verbal IQ scores can be more indicative of one condition over the other, because we're dealing with two conditions that diagnostically can't be compared.

But for what it's worth, I have a very high verbal IQ and an average non verbal IQ. They're four standard deviations apart, which is highly clinically significant. However, I do not meet the neurological profile for NVLD. And at the same time professionals have commented that I have characteristics very similar to NVLD.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 3:16 am

Quote:
The diagnosis of Aspergers (and ASD) is a specific psychological profile, while NVLD is a neurological profile.

@ImeldaJace. It is interesting you say this. By saying 'psychological profile' for ASD are you suggesting it is a psychiatric disorder?
Personally I would say both Aspergers/ASD and NVLD have a neurological and psychological effect.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:23 am

firemonkey wrote:
Quote:
The diagnosis of Aspergers (and ASD) is a specific psychological profile, while NVLD is a neurological profile.

@ImeldaJace. It is interesting you say this. By saying 'psychological profile' for ASD are you suggesting it is a psychiatric disorder?
Personally I would say both Aspergers/ASD and NVLD have a neurological and psychological effect.

No, I very much believe, and I think professionals would agree, that Aspergers/ASD is a neurological condition. However, as you said, it has both neurological and psychological effects. It's just that the tests for it look specifically at the psychological effects.

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2017, 12:48 pm

Are you able to get official testing? This would help with a lot of self doubt or guessing.

Generally speaking, a big gap between the two is a sign of NVLD. But there are other symptoms like poor social skills, clumsiness because of seeing objects too close/far, poor fine motor skills. Those symptoms many people with Aspergers also do have, so that's why it's a very common co-morbid.

I can only tell you my experience, but when I did my testing, I saw the psychologist notes briefly, and noticed that she wrote NVLD for me when I talked to her, but after testing, I was not diagnosed with NVLD, but just ASD. I don't have a wide gap between my VIQ and PIQ; in fact, they are almost identical. I had language delay, so my language skills have not always been up there. My VIQ is slightly higher than my PIQ, but like by 5 points.

Executive functioning deficits is a sign of EFD, AD/HD, and ASD. Generally speaking, the specific executive function deficits shown in ASD is cognitive flexibility, self-monitoring, and emotional control. Like, these are just common among people with ASD generally speaking. Processing speed can be related to ASD, as my step-brother has an extremely slow processing speed and has ASD, but I have a fast processing speed. Hope this helps :)

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 5:38 pm

When my psych team wrote a note to support a disability claim it said I had very poor social skills. Over 60 years I've had a handful or less of offline friends.
Reports from my prep school headmaster to my public school headmaster described me as poorly coordinated. I was fairly clumsy. I have never been good at craft/constructional/DIY tasks. My drawing ability is probably that of a not very talented 6 year old . When I was 11-12 I had to have handwriting lessons. I am a slow writer . Even then though fairly legible it is badly formed. If I try writing faster it really deteriorates.
My worst EF deficits are with organising and planning. Based on online tests my processing speed is below average.