StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2017, 11:43 pm

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 12:23 am

Nasser was a secularist. Of course he'd laugh at hijabs.

There are still moderate Muslim states around. Egypt still doesn't like fundamentalist ideology.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 12:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nasser was a secularist. Of course he'd laugh at hijabs.

There are still moderate Muslim states around. Egypt still doesn't like fundamentalist ideology.

I like Egypt. :D

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 4:18 am

Why can't it happen to Western countries.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 9:02 am

Its not just that Nasser was a secularist. Its that he,AND the whole audience laughed at the idea. The idea was so fringe that it wasnt even taken seriously enough to be thought of as something to debate.

Today individuals, parties, and states, in the region are all forced to take it seriously,and to go on the defensive (verbally, and sometimes physically) if they disagree with the idea.

So yeah. Times in the region have changed.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 4:03 pm

There are a lot of immigrants and tourists from muslim parts of the world where I am, and I've observed some interesting things.

1. Persian (Iranian) women in the U.S. almost never wear a hijab or Islamic clothing. They dress western and often times somewhat risque on top of that. On speaking with some Persians, I've discovered that Iranian culture is actually very western and the Islamic garb women wear in Iran is really just for show so the religious police don't harass them. The culture of the people is not in accordance with the ideology of the government.

2. I will frequently see large Saudi families on vacation, and half the women are wearing niqaabs...usually the older one, and half of them are dressed in risque western clothing with no hijab what so ever.

3. If a woman is wearing a hijab, she is most likely Lebanese.

4. The only men I've seen wearing Islamic/Saudi type clothing have been European American converts to Islam.

I once saw a middle eastern couple and the woman was wearing a sheer top which essentially and intentionally exposed her breasts....not bra as she wasn't wearing them, but her entire breast. Needless to say she was getting a lot of strange looks from people, and I was perplexed as to how she thought the top was appropriate. I found out later from a muslim Kashmiri friend of mine that in many parts of the muslim world, it's thought that anything goes in the U.S. as far as sex and clothing and he was surprised to discover how puritan and family oriented it actually was in comparison to how he had thought it would be. So my guess is, no longer being under her own cultural restrictions, she mis-estimated in an attempt to exercise her freedoms. Many cities have ordinances which prohibit the display of female nipples, and while one can generally wear what they want in public, there are still cultural dress standards.

One of the first reality shows here in the U.S. once took a bunch of young people to the middle east...I forget exactly where. This was at a time when short shorts and halter tops were in style and nearly every 20something year old girl wore them. One girl wore them on this trip as that were her normal clothing, and walking through a neighborhood, people started to stone her. 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:52 pm

If you look at the passengers in a New York City train, you'll find a decent amount of people who wear Islamic clothing, or at least some sort of head covering. The women especially.

The "scarfs" on their heads are usually very colorful, and they tend to carry designer handbags and other accoutrements of material culture. They wear designers sunglasses, too. Sometimes, men accompany them; other times, they don't. They don't appear to mind being dressed that way. And they speak quite freely to those around them.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:19 am

Chronos wrote:
There are a lot of immigrants and tourists from muslim parts of the world where I am, and I've observed some interesting things.

I dunno in what part of US you live, but if you are anywhere near Michigan, then there's a large very conservative Shia community there, often hailing from Pro-Hezbollah southern parts of Lebanon; hence why the Hijab is common among those. I remember there was a beauty pageant winner there who is Lebanese Shia.

On the other hand, the Lebanese Shia immigrants in African countries (Côte d'Ivoire, Senegal...etc) rarely have any hijab and often very "Frenchy" lifestyle wise.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 6:39 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

I dunno in what part of US you live, but if you are anywhere near Michigan, then there's a large very conservative Shia community there, often hailing from Pro-Hezbollah southern parts of Lebanon; hence why the Hijab is common among those. I remember there was a beauty pageant winner there who is Lebanese Shia.

On the other hand, the Lebanese Shia immigrants in African countries (Côte d'Ivoire, Senegal...etc) rarely have any hijab and often very "Frenchy" lifestyle wise.

No, I'm not in Michigan. I'm not sure what part of Lebanon these women are from but I'll ask next time I get the chance.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 4:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Its not just that Nasser was a secularist. Its that he,AND the whole audience laughed at the idea. The idea was so fringe that it wasnt even taken seriously enough to be thought of as something to debate.

Today individuals, parties, and states, in the region are all forced to take it seriously,and to go on the defensive (verbally, and sometimes physically) if they disagree with the idea.

So yeah. Times in the region have changed.

And yet he was the most hated Arab president by the West (especially the UK and US).

The Britains and US instead were always on the Muslim Brotherhood's side.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/News/20009.aspx