Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:38 pm

Is there a reason to have a LinkedIn account if you have no professional connections?

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2017, 4:21 am

It's a way to market yourself.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2017, 12:00 pm

I would say no. Social media and LinkedIn are for people with a lot of connections, it only look bad to have none at all. I don´t have LinkedIn but I do had great jobs before that people should see, but... no way, to me it´s weird to do commerical for yourself for everyone to see. If you are good you send it right to the company, not to the whole world to see.

Facebook is the same thing, if you don´t have a social life then don´t join that s**t and feel more lonely, Im not there either for this reason and never had regret it.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:44 pm

If you ever had any teachers in high school or in further training or education if applicable that you got along well with I wouldn't hesitate to add them on LinkedIn.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:37 pm

you can request connections. linkedin offers suggestions. look for someone in your industry and living near you.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:48 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
you can request connections. linkedin offers suggestions. look for someone in your industry and living near you.

You mean request to connect with a complete stranger?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:41 pm

You mean request to connect with a complete stranger?

yes, linkedin makes suggestions of complete strangers you could connect to.

they have the option of accepting or rejecting.

however, thus far i got 1257 connections. almost all of them complete strangers.

it's wierd though. even though i only had a couple minimum wage jobs. plenty of people with advanced degrees and much higher paying jobs, requested to add me.

the most they can do is reject you.

but anyways.

linkedin also has a limit to the total number of lifetime connection requests you can make.