Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 3:41 am

What It’s Like Being A Kid Who Has The ‘Opposite Of Autism’

Quote:
Williams syndrome is sometimes called the opposite of autism: people who have it tend to be extremely outgoing, socially uninhibited and driven to engage with everyone they meet. The tiny genetic deletion that causes Williams affects one in 10,000 people, or roughly 30,000 Americans. Journalist Jennifer Latson spent several years with one of them: Eli D’Angelo, whose story is chronicled in her new book, The Boy Who Loved Too Much, an excerpt of which is below. The book explores Eli’s coming-of-age and the challenges faced by his single mother, Gayle, who must strike a balance between sheltering her highly vulnerable child and giving him the freedom to make his own way in the world.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 12:59 pm

Whereas Asperger's may be seen as "Little Professor Syndrome," Williams' syndrome could be called "The Little Talk Show Host Syndrome." Williams' syndrome people are very social and outgoing.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 7:09 am

Nobody can love too much... they just need to discern how to express that love with each person they meet and love.