Is it right to compare a house to the Earth?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 2:48 pm

There are some that say just like a house needs a builder and can't just put itself together without one, the Earth needs a creator and couldn't have just put itself together.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:58 pm

It materialized, spontaneously, out of the vacuum of space, without any blueprint, and saying so is not an example of magical thinking.

ELance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2017, 11:47 pm

God made this planet. Though some man may say otherwise, yet he will get nothing by it. Men have spoken against God, most after the printing press, but these men, these mean folk, do not know what is best for them. "Keep their minds empty and their bellies full". A mean man shall get nought for himself but what his heart wills him, but with God he may rise above the heart and know right. The heart without God shall lead to sin and the flesh. Evil shall come from mankind without God, and that is why we must believe.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 2:17 am

An analogy of the earth not having a builder and coming together through natural sources, is that's like a tornado going through a junk yard and building a functional 747 airliner.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 3:12 am

But if there is a builder, where did he/she come from?

Are the real choices between something self organizing or a regression of successive builders created by previous builders?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:16 am

Life emerged naturally on Earth over many millions of years. Sometimes, it was harmonious, other times not.

There is a certain "rhythm" to Nature which I can't define. Part of the "rhythm" is due to the mechanisms of physics, I believe.

I find life emanating from an atmosphere conducive to it, and going through gradual evolution more plausible than life "created" in complete form by some Creator or other.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 28 Jun 2017, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:47 am

EzraS wrote:
An analogy of the earth not having a builder and coming together through natural sources, is that's like a tornado going through a junk yard and building a functional 747 airliner.

Only by people who don't understand entropy. But entropy is difficult for people with high-school level reasoning abilities.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 10:34 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Only by people who don't understand entropy. But entropy is difficult for people with high-school level reasoning abilities.

What level does continual snark come in at?

enbalmed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2017, 10:45 am

EzraS wrote:

That's not a balanced analogy though, a tornado is a short-term event --- it is remarkable that it would assemble a 747, the earth arose through processes of stellar evolution over billions of years which is far less remarkable, considering we can observe other examples of planets accreting (in various stages) around stars.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

enbalmed wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That's not a balanced analogy though, a tornado is a short-term event --- it is remarkable that it would assemble a 747, the earth arose through processes of stellar evolution over billions of years which is far less remarkable, considering we can observe other examples of planets accreting (in various stages) around stars.

It's just something I heard or read once. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be satirical.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:35 pm

There is a kind of memorization called the Method of Loci, in which the mind is compared to a house. A person is supposed to locate ideas, in said house, as a learning aid.

In the Bible, an exorcism is also compared to a house cleaning.

When we speak of Intelligent Design, we are not only speaking of first cause, and matériel, but also of intelligence and design. The book does not occur as a result of the proverbial explosion in a typewriter factory, the pocket watch is not found, ex nihilo, having manufactured itself, one piece at a time. We see Mount Rushmore, but not the real, historical figures, and know that the sculpture was created -- the appearance of a person, but without the mind.

Evolutionists and Creationists must both be in agreement, than an intelligence can be self-existent, out of nothing.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
enbalmed wrote:
EzraS wrote:

It's just something I heard or read once. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be satirical.

A proof of Poe's Law. I've heard people ask that exact question in complete seriousness.

I'm not sure that I've personally experienced being asked why life doesn't spontaneously appear in jars of peanut butter, but I have a response ready: you might not have noticed eating it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 5:36 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
enbalmed wrote:
EzraS wrote:

A proof of Poe's Law. I've heard people ask that exact question in complete seriousness.

I'm not sure that I've personally experienced being asked why life doesn't spontaneously appear in jars of peanut butter, but I have a response ready: you might not have noticed eating it.

You'll always be the one of superior knowledge and intellect, when you apply yourself to the lowest common denominator. Especially when you decide that's all the equation consists of.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 8:25 am

It was once thought that flies came from rotten meat.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 7:09 pm

EzraS wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
enbalmed wrote:
EzraS wrote:

You'll always be the one of superior knowledge and intellect, when you apply yourself to the lowest common denominator. Especially when you decide that's all the equation consists of.

I'd like to add: maybe humans are just god's way to build 747s.
which leads to the question: what does god need a 747 for?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 7:17 pm

To fly Joel Osteen, and his private entourage, around.