Are you fascinated with vacuum cleaners?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 3:59 pm

I am. I like Roombas and Dysons.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:01 am

No! Can't stand the noise. As an adult I no longer run and hide from them, but I still wish I could.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:32 am

a vacuum can not be "cleaned" since it has nothing in it.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:10 pm

b9 wrote:

And if you clean a vacuum, you become a vacuum cleaner.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 6:37 pm

Too loud for my liking, although I'm rather captivated by Nintendo's Chiritori vaccuum from 1979.

http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/03/nin ... -1979.html

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

stream26
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jun 2017, 3:53 am

I agonized about replacing our bagged canister vacuum cleaner (yeah, I know, first-world problem....) because I really didn't want to go bagless,
I absolutely love it, notwithstanding that it's bagless! (We empty it in a garbage can in the garage). It's basically a convertible -- it can be an upright or a canister, so much easier for the kids to use it and to lug it up and downstairs. We have two cats and three females with long hair in our house, and it scoffs at the hair. The various attachments are great. I think we got the "pet bundle" or similar, which has a small motorized head that is perfect for our carpeted stairs. We have a mix of carpet, area rugs, and hardwood floor and it works great for all of those.

Last edited by B19 on 03 Dec 2019, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
b9 wrote:

:lmao:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

I never cared for the noise, like a ground-level gas turbine engine. one of my favorite comedians and organists, the late Stan Kahn, had a travelling collection of vintage vacuum cleaners he'd entertain people with when he wasn't doing stand-up or playing the organ.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:40 pm

I don't really care for the noise. I'm considering buying myself a carpet sweeper.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Rubbermaid-Dual- ... U2650.html

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 1:28 am

Butterfly88 wrote:
b9 wrote:

a vacuum is implied to be a total vacuum, and not a partial vacuum.
a partial vacuum needs only one subatomic particle in it to no longer be a total vacuum.
if you can hunt that particle down and remove it, you would have cleaned it back to a state where is is a total vacuum.

but you can not clean a total vacuum, so you can never be a vacuum cleaner. you can only be a "partial" vacuum cleaner.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 1:58 am

b9 wrote:
on a less pedantic note and more of a jocular one, i will say that i have wondered if a vacuum cleaner has ever been made that is so powerful it sucks itself into it and ceases to exist.

but then, who was phone?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:02 am

I like that vacuum cleaners have multiple uses besides sucking up rubbishy dusty stuff.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:28 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
b9 wrote:
on a less pedantic note and more of a jocular one, i will say that i have wondered if a vacuum cleaner has ever been made that is so powerful it sucks itself into it and ceases to exist.

but then, who was phone?

i am sorry i do not understand

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:41 am

I think it would be cool to move into a place with a central vacuum system. I hear they even have central vacuum systems for cars now.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:47 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I think it would be cool to move into a place with a central vacuum system. I hear they even have central vacuum systems for cars now.

If that's what I think it means, I once cleaned someone's house that had that system. There were vacuum outlets in the walls all over the house, and you plugged her vacuum's hose directly into them.

You still have to push the vacuum cleaner around on the carpets and floors. It didn't feel much different from having to plug and unplug a regular machine all over the house, to be honest.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:50 am

I've never been fascinated with vacuum cleaners, in fact when I was a child I was terrified of them because of the noise.

I got over that as I got older, although I do wear earplugs when using them. Not because I'm afraid of them anymore but because they can cause hearing damage over time and with long enough cleaning sessions as I'm subjected to in my work.

What I DO like, though, is the actual act of vacuuming a carpet or floor. I enjoy the regular, rhythmic motions, I enjoy doing it in a systematic way section by section, and I really enjoy the satisfaction of seeing that it's made the floor clean and pristine, tidy and pleasing. There's a lot of satisfaction to transforming something from dirty to clean. So I like vacuums for that reason.

But I've never had a special interest in them, like collecting them or anything. I just want a vacuum to do the job properly, have a decent brush and decent suction and attachments.