How to lose weight despite severe food aversions

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 3:58 pm

I'm beginning to struggle with my weight, and I can't just go on a diet because there are so few foods I can eat. So many things make me nauseated just by smelling them or looking at them, and while I could exercise, I feel like that wouldn't do anything since there wouldn't be a good diet to accompany it. How can I lose weight with this huge obstacle blocking my path?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 4:10 pm

I've found that the range of foods I can eat is increased by cooking it myself. If I don't like to eat something, I just leave it out of the recipe or find another recipe that uses something else.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:24 pm

drink so much water you feel too bloated to eat too much.

personally, i drink 5 liters water per day. 34 years old. 110 pounds.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jul 2017, 10:59 pm

I'm overweight & am a very picky eater thou not as picky as I used to be. I used to be skinny because I was only able to get the food I wanted 1ce a day/night so I'd pig out on one big meal & not eat anything except a couple snacks during the rest of the day/night. I gained weight after I moved in with my girlfriend because I started eating 3 meals a day & binge-eating. I lost the weight at one point by exercising more & eating less food in general. I got out of the habit of eating less & exercising thou & am trying to get back into it. From my experience I would suggest exercising & trying to eat less food at least less of the food that's more unhealthy. I'm NOT saying skip meals or anything but eat smaller portions when you do eat & that along with more exercise will help you lose weight or at least stop you from gaining if you've been gaining for awhile.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:26 am

Why do you feel that exercise won't help?

You'd be surprised what a 3-mile walk, every day, would do.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 12:21 pm

I once lost a lot of weight by doing lots of walking and drinking a lot of water. But the problem is that if you don't continue having an active lifestyle every single day for the rest of your life, the weight will come back on, even if you're absolutely sick of living in constant anxiety of gaining, but also sick of exercising for several hours until you're an achy, tired, hot sweaty mess every single day, and feeling huge amounts of guilt if you skip it.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why do you feel that exercise won't help?

You'd be surprised what a 3-mile walk, every day, would do.

I just felt like it wouldn't do much good if I didn't have a good diet to go along with it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:29 pm

It would be of even less use should you NOT exercise.

At the very least, walking will keep you in decent shape, despite a lousy diet.

What kind of foods do you like to eat?

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It would be of even less use should you NOT exercise.

At the very least, walking will keep you in decent shape, despite a lousy diet.

What kind of foods do you like to eat?

Mostly stuff that's not good for me, like pizza. But I do eat a few healthy things. I like peas, carrots, corn, and a lot of fruit. I also drink a lot of water and almost never drink soda.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:58 pm

You eat pretty normally. You might not have the "optimal" diet--but you eat okay. If you exercise, you'll stay in decent shape, and you can eat how you've been eating--especially if nothing (especially carbs and fats) is eaten in great quantity.

How much weight have you gained? If it's like 10 pounds, it's possible that you are "filling out." I weighed 120 at 17, and 140 at 19; I looked the same, and was exactly the same height. I just "filled out."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 03 Jul 2017, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 2:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You eat pretty normally. You might not have the "optimal" diet--but you eat okay. If you exercise, you'll stay in decent shape, and you can eat how you've been eating--especially if nothing (especially carbs and fats) is eaten in great quantity.

How much weight have you gained? If it's like 10 pounds, it's possible that you are "filling out." I weighed 120 at 17, and 140 at 19; I looked the same. I just "filled out."

I think one of the problems is that I'm in college right now, and a lot of people gain some weight there. The school doesn't have any of the aforementioned vegetables that I can eat; they used to have carrots, but they stopped offering them. They also have a Chick-fil-a in a building right by my dorm, so I go there more often than I should, especially because I can't eat the food at most of the other places in the food court. There's a sub shop, and I don't eat those, and a Qdoba, but the Qdoba won't even give me food like plain cheese quesadillas, so I can't go there. So it's Chick-fil-a or a place called The Grill Spot, where I can get hot dogs or burgers. I can also walk to another place on campus that serves some healthier options, which I'll try to do more often next year.

As for the weight gain, I've probably gained about 50 pounds in the last year or so, which I know isn't good. I also tended to eat too many snacks, and because I'm a fast eater, I don't know when I'm full, so I just keep eating...God, I sound terrible right now. This will definitely change next year. I'm going to try to eat less and exercise more.