Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:44 am

FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALEX. I can't view the website at all without every page redirecting to these:

Last edited by smudge on 29 Jun 2017, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 11:15 am

I get this a lot on Safari (desktop, mobile).
Seems to be OK on Chrome.

Shouldn't be happening, though.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 11:27 am

i get similar when on my mobile. i can't even see the forum in the background! i get security warning stuff instead.pita! whole phone starts to vibrate and i can only shift it by exiting the browser.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Jun 2017, 11:57 am

I'll try to replicate this in safari. I have never received these.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 1:01 pm

I thought I was the only one! I keep getting something come up that says "you have been chosen! Click here to claim a free iPhone!" and they're hard to navigate away from. And my phone vibrates like mad when these come up. WP is the only site I go on where this happens. It doesn't happen on my computer, just my phone. I thought my phone had a virus but since I saw this thread I can just blame this site.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

I'm guessing the reason I can't see these and the reason only UK people have complained is that they're geotargeted to the UK. This will make it trickier for me to find and block.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 1:43 pm

I get it on mobile devices only, in the USA... Only in this site, even with new devices and/or installs.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Jun 2017, 1:50 pm

SH90 wrote:
I get it on mobile devices only, in the USA... Only in this site, even with new devices and/or installs.

Which mobile devices?

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm

I only have iOS (Safari), iPhone 6/7 and iPads. I never get it on Windows Computer via Chrome. I don't know about Safari on Mac.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 2:31 pm

I get this on my Galaxy S7 in Chrome in the US

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 6:12 pm

Have you been tinkering, Alex? First time in ages I haven't had a single problem whilst using my mobile (no weird pop-ups).
Is that just luck, or you've been busy?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 6:45 pm

I've always had this problem on mobile. I had an issue once a long time ago on desktop too but it's been ok on desktop largely. I suspect it's the advert supplier not really caring\vetting what kind of ads they deliver.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 6:52 pm

I think the trick to the advert is this:
It creates a large float area over the top of the forum page on a mobile device. If you click it you trigger a competition ad and it forces you to redirect unless you close the browser and try again. Only...if you try again, the script has also made it so that if you go to any part of the forums it reactivates the advert once again unless you clear your cache/cookies.

Similar thing on dekstop except it's much easier to avoid clicking the ad on desktop and Chrome has more inbuilt blocking these days.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:03 am

The advert does redirect you and you have to close the tab every time, exactly right. The only way for me to load pages so they stay without seconds later going to that page (which I never tap/click BTW, it redirects without me doing anything, it's all automatic).

My trick for stopping it loading for now it to tap the stop X on the address bar so the page doesn't load fully. I have to time it within seconds. Otherwise I would not be able to view WP or post at all because it always redirects. This has happened to me in the past. It's only started again in the last couple of days.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:05 am

It would also be great to get rid of that blue banner at the bottom too. It's distracting as f***.