Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2017, 12:41 am

I'd really like to talk with some scientificly minded individuals.
I'm happy to listen and learn, if you want to ramble on.

My interests:
Chemisty (basic; purifying elements, isotopic separation)
Programming (C, Allegro, Objective C - Apple)
Electronics (Basic, mostly DC)
Engineering (makiing CNC, magnetic bearing/motor)

If you have some other interest, hit me up, it might intrigue me also.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 7:13 pm

My strongest interest is in biology and ecosystems and I have a BA in Conservation Biology but I have other interests as well.

I have some interest in physics, especially the relationship between objects and their surroundings and the laws of thermodynamics.

I also have a general interest in astronomy, although I've taken no official courses on it.

What are you interested in talking about?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 7:32 pm

Anthropology, archeology, astronomy, geology.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 3:53 pm

Begging folks to please "talk to me" is not really a good way to start conversations.

Its better to make posts about science that pose questions.
Gets folks talking.

You can see what WP members are into what, and they can see what you are into.

ASNerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

Ok, I like chemistry and biology. So, I'll pose a question: Does anyone know if inhibiting a neurotransmitter influences the charge inside the neuron?

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2017, 8:48 pm

ASNerd
Well, GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, and benzodiazepines like Klonopin increase GABA by making chloride channels open more frequently and for longer periods of time. And if you increase the amount of Cl- going into a neuron, that makes it more negatively charged and less likely to have an action potential. If you inhibit glutamate, the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain, GABA's effects will be more pronounced.

ASNerd

22 Aug 2017, 4:20 pm

True, but if you're inhibiting an action potential, you're also inhibiting GABA since GABA moves through neurons when there's an action potential. Now that I think about it, that explains something. I was wondering why a higher concentration of chloride in neurons would effect GABA, but if they're inhibiting an action potential, they're inhibiting GABA.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

ASNerd wrote:
True, but if you're inhibiting an action potential, you're also inhibiting GABA since GABA moves through neurons when there's an action potential. Now that I think about it, that explains something. I was wondering why a higher concentration of chloride in neurons would effect GABA, but if they're inhibiting an action potential, they're inhibiting GABA.

I'm a little confused by what you're saying, as GABAergic neurons can inhibit other neurons when they release GABA, through temporal or spacial summation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhibitory_postsynaptic_potential

ASNerd

23 Aug 2017, 8:45 am

True, but I'm just saying that a neurotransmitter passes through neurons when there's an action potential. An action potential is how the neurotransmitter can get released into other neurons. So a neurotransmitter wont be released/will be inhibited if there's no action potential. So inhibiting an action potential inhibits GABA, a neurotransmitter. The only reason neurons can inhibit other neurons with GABA is because GABA is inhibitary and inhibits any neurons it passes into.