Planning self employment but worry about medical costs

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2017, 11:27 pm

I think, unless I can get a cushy state job, that I'd not do well in the work-for-someone-else private sector. Was planning to do a combination of being an author and doing self-employed web design, and maybe some other things. Would work best for me, but there's one problem: I NEED meds or I can't function properly, but without insurance, I'd literally be paying thousands for them and am not sure how I'd get it self-employed.

However, my executive disfunction would probably get in the way of a lot of regular work for someone else type jobs and I know that the others, as they'd likely be far from my ideal, I'd have to fake being happy which I'm not good at (and not even the motivation "I need this to eat, etc" would be enough to keep me going.)

Truthfully, the fear is so bad that sometimes, I haven't come close to doing it though, I've thought of overdosing (on my meds) and ending it. You see, I may be safe right now living at home and my parents have accepted that I may end up never working, but they aren't going to live forever, and then what will I do?

Also, I happen to know secrets about the private sector:

1.) Pro-NT
2.) Age discrimination
3.) Increasingly a planned economy
4.) Anti-American, anti-white, anti-male, etc.
5.) Favors urban areas which I would prefer to avoid
6.) Not quite that good for someone that doesn't drive (though maybe I will drive someday)

I am aiming for state jobs but have the following problems:

1.) Didn't do well on most of the non-testing applications (failed most of them as the jobs seemed to be aimed toward someone that's been working for years.) However, did get an A on one of them and get a special bonus on another for having a disability which gives me a favorable rating. Got two C's on some too. Also, haven't tested at the testing centers yet.
2.) Our state (Illinois) is kinda going broke. Job security, except as a politician or bureaucrat, isn't guaranteed either.

Jenine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2017, 6:21 pm

I heard about Illinois' situation. SMH. It's a shame what can happen when you put corrupt people in power. Chicago's pretty much destined to be the next Detroit in my opinion. Anyway, until you can create a sustainable income from self employment, you will still be eligible for Medicaid. I'm assuming you're on Medicaid now. In the meantime, do all you can to become self sufficient. You say you wanna be an author and a web designer, then go for it! Maybe you can create your own website around your books and market them on Amazon's Create Space or Kindle. I'm currently on Kindle because as I see it, paperback and hard cover books don't really sell like they used to. I am also in the process of applying for SSI to get on my feet because as the traditional life of working 9 to 5, getting married, having kids then dying will not work for me. College wasn't gonna help either. Do all that you can to be self-sufficient and if the time comes where you're no longer eligible for Medicaid, try looking for an affordable plan through your state's health exchange program come January or whenever the enrollment period starts. But, keep in mind you still may be eligible for Medicaid even if you only make a certain amount. It's sad how much the medicine is big business in America. That's just the way it is though.