50th Anniversary "Summer of Love" thread

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 12:05 pm

Eric Burden and The Animals - Monterey

Pink Floyd - See Emily Play - Single Released June 1967

Jefferson Airplane June 3, 1967 American Bandstand Appearance White Rabbit, Somebody To Love, Priceless Interview, and bizarre Psychedelic effects

WABC Music Radio New York City Survey for Week of July 5, 1967

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 12:49 pm

Happy Together -- The Turtles

Somebody To Love -- Jefferson Airplane

The House of the Rising Sun -- The Animals (just because it’s Eric-Freakin-Burdon!)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

13th Floor Elevators released Easter Everywhere, one of the great psychedelic albums of all time.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 12:56 pm

She -- The Monkees

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 1:02 pm

The Rain, the Park & Other Things -- The Cowsills

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 2:53 pm

Chocolate Watch Band - Sweet Young Thing

Quickslver Messenger Service - Dino's Song

Electric Flag - Wine

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 3:43 am

...It's quite amusing how here, in n San Francisco (at least when you look at it with some historical perspective) how the " respectable/mainstream " media/segments are hopping aboard the " it's the ,50th, maaaaaan " train! :lol:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 6:39 pm

...That chart shows Englebert's " There Goes My Everything " (presumably) entering waaay down - Famously, Eng's breakthrough hit " Release Me " kept the Beatles " Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever " from #1 on the U.K. main pop chart then! Bad vibes, man. :lol:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 8:19 am

The not psychalelic singles by The Association, Rascals, and Turtles were number one in New York during July 1967. The Doors did get one week at the top. Sgt Pepper was the number 1 album on Billboard from July 1 to October 7.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 10:10 am

They might have been non-psychedelic---but they were quintessentially Sixties.

The Association might have seemed "lame"---but they actually had a funny stage show. In 1967, they also included a Filipino guy in their group.

"Happy Together," and the Turtles, had the hippie ethos down pat, minus the political elements.

The Rascals were into the hippie thing, too. They were more "political" about it, though not stridently so.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 3:56 pm

The Association and Turtles were part of what is now described as "Sunshine Pop".

Other groovy examples

The Cowsills and Mama and Papas belong in this genre also.

Allmusic - Sunshine Pop

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 5:44 pm

...Also further down, we have the Happenings' remake of Al Jolson's " My Mammy (I remembered it as being another remake of theirs, the Gershwins,/Ethel Merman,s " I Got Rhythm ")!___and what I think was a Caucasian remake close enough to the original to be called a " cover ", the Buckinghams' revamp of the team of Larry Williams and Johnny " Guitar " Watson's vocal version of the Cannonball Adderly funk-jazz choon, " Mercy Mercy Mercy " - Anyone else here familiar with Larry and Johnny's? I once had their album with that song, " Two For The Price Of One ", with an LP cover showing them horse-riding twin (I think) Cadillacs :lol: !
Also on the " more funky, less ofay " :wink: side, Linda Jones and the Parliaments (later Parliament-Funkadelic) enter quite high up, with songs that I suppose may have proven themselves on R&B radio already, and crossed over then.
I don't know the Ray Charles record listed to sing any part of it.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 3:30 pm

...Now I'm going to kind of look at the " other " side of '67 :lol: !
This lady was a particular favorite of my father
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO8Z4ZupPcg
's- He said before playing her, " She's really Vencelia Maria Cortez from San Antonio, Texas! " (as was he - from SA, thayyat is, and whatever Vicki's real real name, I mean, should be substituted here)
And another one, which appeared on the same LP originally - by the " hip " Jimmy Webb! :D ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbJfo_PCzk
And, going WAAAAY further back-Vicki's very first, an earlier version, the first, of a Gene Pitney song you likely know in a version " by " the Crystals-Darlene Love & the Blossoms actually-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3HCG22zsk

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 3:33 pm

...A singer and actor who was on the " Daniel Boone " TV series then, with a Bible phrase-rooted Broadway show song-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDALZMw@eY

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 5:19 pm

...Let's try that last one again, I was running out of my daily library computer time as I put it up first-
Ed Ames: " My Cup Runneth Over "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaQisHV8jw

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 7:32 pm

...This song, written for and by - but not heard vocally in - a film by one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, movie star and film maker of the first third of the 20th Century, was hear as a single minus its verse on the single version, butthe British 45 release had it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgkDxMQfsSA