50th Anniversary "Summer of Love" thread

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 7:32 pm

...This song, written for and by - but not heard vocally in - a film by one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, movie star and film maker of the first third of the 20th Century, was hear as a single minus its verse on the single version, butthe British 45 release had it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgkDxMQfsSA

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 5:35 pm

...Returning to that WABC chart, the top tier of it also contains another ALL-TIME CLASSIC :) - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's original version of " Ain't No Mountain High Enough " :D at least at times, I have declared that the best record (Rock'n'roll/" pop ". anyway) of all time :) !
Also, this chart had lead into some NYC radio memories that ASPa and KK could relate to, anyway :) ...In that summer of '67, NYC had an early attempt at the " progressive/free-form FM " format, WOR-FM.
It didn't last long, however, and WNEW-FM more or or less took over that format, and continued with it in Fun City for decades, as " progressive " became " album-oriented rock " and then stodgy " classic rock " (Actually, in my teenhood, WPLJ had better ratings for rock FM, I think, and was more the teen rocker's station ~ 'NEW was more the grown-up Dylan/Allman/Broooose/Stones/Clapton/Winwood/Beatles fans' station. ~ However, around '83-'84, 'PLJ responded to the early MTV/Michael Jackson boom by going Top 40, or CHR, as it was called by that time.), though it eventually dropped music.). WOR-FM, about 1970, was an early " adult Top 40 "/semi-oldies station, consulted I believe by the then-infamous :mrgreen: Bill Drake.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 6:51 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Returning to that WABC chart, the top tier of it also contains another ALL-TIME CLASSIC :) - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's original version of " Ain't No Mountain High Enough " :D at least at times, I have declared that the best record (Rock'n'roll/" pop ". anyway) of all time :) !
Also, this chart had lead into some NYC radio memories that ASPa and KK could relate to, anyway :) ...In that summer of '67, NYC had an early attempt at the " progressive/free-form FM " format, WOR-FM.
It didn't last long, however, and WNEW-FM more or or less took over that format, and continued with it in Fun City for decades, as " progressive " became " album-oriented rock " and then stodgy " classic rock " (Actually, in my teenhood, WPLJ had better ratings for rock FM, I think, and was more the teen rocker's station ~ 'NEW was more the grown-up Dylan/Allman/Broooose/Stones/Clapton/Winwood/Beatles fans' station. ~ However, around '83-'84, 'PLJ responded to the early MTV/Michael Jackson boom by going Top 40, or CHR, as it was called by that time.), though it eventually dropped music.). WOR-FM, about 1970, was an early " adult Top 40 "/semi-oldies station, consulted I believe by the then-infamous :mrgreen: Bill Drake.

You are correct. WPLJ appealed to 1970's teen rockers. Carol Miller and Zacharlie appealed to teen boys for different reasons. WNEW and WLIR appealed to more college and post college rockers in the 70's. But the proto stoners listened to all three stations. All those stations played the "Summer of Love" rock often for the whole 70's.

Back to the chart what stands out was the quality tunes from many genres.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 6:26 pm

...WLIR didn't really come in in my upper Westchester County area.
By the mid-70s , WOR-FM was a kind of a bit looser/more-r&b-oriented Top 40, WXLO, " 99 X Is My Radio Station ". IIRC, in the disco era they went in that/perhaps later, a more general R&B direction. I could look it up later anyway, Wikipedia is good on old radio station formats, at least in the big markets.
On AM , WNBC spent the 70s kind of chasing WABC and never quite getting there, as a Top 40, perhaps emphasizing this or that a little bit more.
WABC essentially stopped playing the Top 40 in (in theory) full sometime in 1980, essentially becoming an Adult Contemporary station, though that WABC site said they still continued to have their famous local NY chart countdown (which I was never a listener to anyway), indicating what the Apple's hit's were every week in full, but not playing the more funky or rocking ones, but saying what they were on the air, apparently. A nice touch :). They dropped music entirely to become all-news in 1982 or thereabout, I remember listening to the final count-off as their last DJ shift of the Top 40 era ended that day :( . WNBC still tried to be a " last remaining AM Top 40 " after that, although I suppose in radio business-ese they were an Adult Contemporary/Oldies?? station and " AM Top 40 " had gone out of existence by then?? They famously of course brought Howard Stern to NYC proper (He'd been on a Westchester FM that I listened to not very much as some point before that.) and, of course, didn't know what to do with him and got no particular identity that helped the station in toto from him, not long after he left NBC's execs sold the station and gave up the call letters, I guess that it was, sort of " I told you so " satisfying my father, who had worked at WNBC's news, technically employed by the radio side though he switched around between radio and TV and local and network as needed, he said they weren't all that hierchial(sp) about that as you'd expect except at the highest level, IIRC, who always disliked Howard, considering him unprofessional.
The era for that type of station was just over, I guess.

ote="ASPartOfMe"]

ASS-P wrote:

You are correct. WPLJ appealed to 1970's teen rockers. Carol Miller and Zacharlie appealed to teen boys for different reasons. WNEW and WLIR appealed to more college and post college rockers in the 70's. But the proto stoners listened to all three stations. All those stations played the "Summer of Love" rock often for the whole 70's.

Back to the chart what stands out was the quality tunes from many genres.[/quote]

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 7:53 pm

The FM stations gradually eroded WABC, then disco split their audience. It was considered very unhip to listen to WABC if you were over age 13 in the 70's. I and I am sure others listened to WABC at home but never told anybody. People blasted records, tapes, or the FM rock stations in high school and during college.

There was a top 40 station out of Jersey, WWDJ that lasted about a year or two.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 5:09 pm

...Well, I was me in the 70s, I wasn't particularly any " high-school " idea of "hip " (I also did not go to " normal" high school at all for most of my HS years, I sometimes even feel a bit left out about that :(.) ~ a fairly common X-perience for us on the spectrum (Or substitute other times...), I should think :P ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The FM stations gradually eroded WABC, then disco split their audience. It was considered very unhip to listen to WABC if you were over age 13 in the 70's. I and I am sure others listened to WABC at home but never told anybody. People blasted records, tapes, or the FM rock stations in high school and during college.

There was a top 40 station out of Jersey, WWDJ that lasted about a year or two.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 10:19 am

WABC Musicradio survey August 8, 1967

Not quite summer but pretty trippy
KMPX San Francisco (October 12, 1967)

Quote:
Aircheck recording of KMPX San Francisco (October 12, 1967). Recorded off the air by Mike Schweizer, these airchecks include commercials, songs, and DJ interludes. They provide a complete historical record of what would be playing on the air over radio stations of the time.

KMPX 107 (Stereo) -- San Francisco, CA -- October 12, 1967 (2 recordings total)

KMPX 107 (Stereo) -- San Francisco, CA -- October 12, 1967 (1) -- DJ?? -- ~6:35pm
Bulgarian Ensemble (Unknown track) from album Music of Bulgaria
(a mention of "Go High" from Kent and The Kennedys)
Town & Country Music Center ad
"Stoyan Ide Ot Tsarigrad (Stoyan Comes Back To Constantinople)," Bulgarian Ensemble
**possible break in recording // goes silent // then next track in-progress**
"Bed on The Floor," Woody Guthrie
"Now I'm Home," The 13th Floor Elevators
"The Medium is the Massage," Marshall MacLuhan LP ad
"T.B. Sheets," Van Morrison
Discount Records ad
"Me and My Telephone," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
"Dust My Broom," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
"I Got My Eyes On You," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
"Alberta," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
Avalon concert ad
"Comin' Back To Me," Jefferson Airplane
Record City in Berkeley ad
"Let Me In" Jefferson Airplane
"She Has Funny Cars," Jefferson Airplane (partial -- song skips)

KMPX 107 (Stereo) -- San Francisco, CA -- October 12, 1967 (2) -- Unknown First DJ, then Tom Donahue -- ~7:38pm
"3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds," Jefferson Airplane (partial)
Guaranteed Typewriter Company sale ad
"Suzanne," Judy Collins
Pleasure Care in Marin County announcement
"Penny Lane," The Beatles
The Great White Light Presents The Purple Earthquake announcement
"Spoonful," Cream (may be live version or another artist)
"High Rise," Savoy Brown Blus Band (or another artist, uncertain)
"Waterhole No. 3," Movie Ad
"Time for your Big Daddy" Tom Donahue comes on the air
"(I'm A) Road Runner," Jr. Walker and The All Stars
"How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)," Jr. Walker and The All Stars
Some information about a Columbus Day celebration
Doors concert announcement at Berkeley Community Theatre
"Let's Go Out Tonight," John Lee Hooker
Runway 5 in Sausalito ad
"I'm Bad Like Jesse James," John Lee Hooker
Small story about John Lee Hooker at a small club
"Bass Strings," Country Joe and The Fish

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

...I don't think I've eard of the Chris Bartley record at all, though I think I may have heard of, anyway, the title.
A song that there was a cover battle about?
Harper's Bizarre have a record that never went much Pop, I think, it might have done better on Easy KListening/Lite/whatever-you-calls-it - BTW, notice, remakes of Al Jolson amd Cole Porter-associated on the Top 40 this revolutionary week :lol: !
Chicago's Cryan' Shames almost had a hit in the Apple! 8O I didn't know they got that far. 8)
Every Mother's Son have a follow-up that's not,
exactly following UP :mrgreen: ! ! I once had their corresponding album so I must have had that song, but :| ............

posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=7627597#

uote="ASPartOfMe"]WABC Musicradio survey August 8, 1967

Not quite summer but pretty trippy
KMPX San Francisco (October 12, 1967)

Quote:
Aircheck recording of KMPX San Francisco (October 12, 1967). Recorded off the air by Mike Schweizer, these airchecks include commercials, songs, and DJ interludes. They provide a complete historical record of what would be playing on the air over radio stations of the time.

KMPX 107 (Stereo) -- San Francisco, CA -- October 12, 1967 (2 recordings total)

KMPX 107 (Stereo) -- San Francisco, CA -- October 12, 1967 (1) -- DJ?? -- ~6:35pm
Bulgarian Ensemble (Unknown track) from album Music of Bulgaria
(a mention of "Go High" from Kent and The Kennedys)
Town & Country Music Center ad
"Stoyan Ide Ot Tsarigrad (Stoyan Comes Back To Constantinople)," Bulgarian Ensemble
**possible break in recording // goes silent // then next track in-progress**
"Bed on The Floor," Woody Guthrie
"Now I'm Home," The 13th Floor Elevators
"The Medium is the Massage," Marshall MacLuhan LP ad
"T.B. Sheets," Van Morrison
Discount Records ad
"Me and My Telephone," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
"Dust My Broom," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
"I Got My Eyes On You," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
"Alberta," Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis
Avalon concert ad
"Comin' Back To Me," Jefferson Airplane
Record City in Berkeley ad
"Let Me In" Jefferson Airplane
"She Has Funny Cars," Jefferson Airplane (partial -- song skips)

KMPX 107 (Stereo) -- San Francisco, CA -- October 12, 1967 (2) -- Unknown First DJ, then Tom Donahue -- ~7:38pm
"3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds," Jefferson Airplane (partial)
Guaranteed Typewriter Company sale ad
"Suzanne," Judy Collins
Pleasure Care in Marin County announcement
"Penny Lane," The Beatles
The Great White Light Presents The Purple Earthquake announcement
"Spoonful," Cream (may be live version or another artist)
"High Rise," Savoy Brown Blus Band (or another artist, uncertain)
"Waterhole No. 3," Movie Ad
"Time for your Big Daddy" Tom Donahue comes on the air
"(I'm A) Road Runner," Jr. Walker and The All Stars
"How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)," Jr. Walker and The All Stars
Some information about a Columbus Day celebration
Doors concert announcement at Berkeley Community Theatre
"Let's Go Out Tonight," John Lee Hooker
Runway 5 in Sausalito ad
"I'm Bad Like Jesse James," John Lee Hooker
Small story about John Lee Hooker at a small club
"Bass Strings," Country Joe and The Fish
[/quote]

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2017, 5:46 pm

The summer of love was middle class construct which had almost no impact on the majority of working class people in the North of England, or for anywhere or for anyone other than upper middle class Londoners in Soho as far as this side of the pond is concerned. I am guessing this is very much the case of working class folks across the US, the East Coast in particular.

I do however have a soft spot for the Airplane but if I was forced to to choose give me Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd everytime.

BBC: Radio 4

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 6:06 pm

...Gotta love that British class warfare, mate! :mrgreen: :lol: :wink:
The Chris Bartley record is sweet soul, I was thinking of something in the Bobby Vinton/Ronnie Dove vein.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:25 am

Summer of Love: London Tightly knit, decadent and explosively creative, the scene was too good to last