Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:25 am

I wish we had developed along the lines of Europe after the war.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
I wish we had developed along the lines of Europe after the war.
You have to remember that the war was actually FOUGHT in Europe. During the decades that Europe spent recovering, the US was on a tear economically. This explains why what you wish would never have happened.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:24 am

auntblabby wrote:
in terms of honesty, I put military recruiters on the same level as pols and used car salesman.

Yup.When they started calling for my son one actually had the gall to tell me if he enlisted they wouldn't deploy him overseas.He'd get to stay stateside.What a load of bull.
I don't even know how they got our phone number.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 5:50 pm

I wasn't even thought of yet during the summer of '67. My PARENTS were still in their early to mid teens.

My folks ran the gamut from straight-laced conservatives through hippies to SDS and Weather Underground types. I grew up hearing about all of it, and kind of caught in a time-warp due to the fact that, for the back-to-the-land, peace-love-and-cannabis hippie contingent anyway, the Sixties never ended.

I wish we could have tempered some of that idealism with a realistic acknowledgement about the downright shittiness of human nature, and kept that sentiment alive. I think we'd have a better society.

Other than that, all I can say is... It sounds eerily familiar. Very much like the times we're living in, minus a lot of the laid-back optimism.

God I'm tired.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 7:01 pm

I don't believe in the "downright shittiness of human nature."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 7:40 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I wasn't even thought of yet during the summer of '67. My PARENTS were still in their early to mid teens.

My folks ran the gamut from straight-laced conservatives through hippies to SDS and Weather Underground types. I grew up hearing about all of it, and kind of caught in a time-warp due to the fact that, for the back-to-the-land, peace-love-and-cannabis hippie contingent anyway, the Sixties never ended.

I wish we could have tempered some of that idealism with a realistic acknowledgement about the downright shittiness of human nature, and kept that sentiment alive. I think we'd have a better society.

Other than that, all I can say is... It sounds eerily familiar. Very much like the times we're living in, minus a lot of the laid-back optimism.

God I'm tired.

This song came out in '68. If it came out now it would be torn apart on social media.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This song came out in '68. If it came out now it would be torn apart on social media.

Jim and Mary Post, aka "Friend and Lover" at least until they got divorced somewhat unpleasantly. btw, the estimable Ray Stevens produced their hit record ["reach out of the darkness"] for them, it was recorded in the summer of love, 1967. took 'em until early '68 to get it mastered and issued on record.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:11 pm

I used to hear that song all the time on the radio.

"I think it's so groovy now....that we are finally getting together!"

Came out in early-mid 1968.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:12 pm

both of 'em are still alive at last report.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:30 pm

My favorite part of the song was when the guy gave the other guy "a call" so they can hash out their differences.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My favorite part of the song was when the guy gave the other guy "a call" so they can hash out their differences.

I first heard that song in 1985, while in the army, and I thought to meself, "my, this is a cosmic song of peace!" it excited my imagination. it was years out of print, not in stores, but somehow the oldies radio stations all played it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:35 pm

I used to hear it in 1968, on the radio. They played it a lot until like 1971.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:44 pm

I didn't get to hear it in stereo until well into the internet age. Verve [the original record label which released it back then] reissued the album via the Collector's Choice label a few years ago. Mary Post was a red-headed BABE :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:46 pm

LOL....you're an aural genius.

I can barely tell the difference between mono and stereo LOL.

Her voice reminds me of the voice of the lady lead singer of the Seekers (the group that did "Georgy Girl").

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

^^^^^the Australian edition of "60 minutes" [ABC Australia] did a segment about that lady, whose name escapes me. she suffered a stroke not too long ago, and is now retired from performing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 9:05 pm

She wasn't the prettiest lady, even in her younger days.

But her "ladyship" certainly stood out. She was a very graceful sort.

She's recovered enough from her stroke to be singing professionally again.