Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:44 pm

I didn't get to hear it in stereo until well into the internet age. Verve [the original record label which released it back then] reissued the album via the Collector's Choice label a few years ago. Mary Post was a red-headed BABE :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:46 pm

LOL....you're an aural genius.

I can barely tell the difference between mono and stereo LOL.

Her voice reminds me of the voice of the lady lead singer of the Seekers (the group that did "Georgy Girl").

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

^^^^^the Australian edition of "60 minutes" [ABC Australia] did a segment about that lady, whose name escapes me. she suffered a stroke not too long ago, and is now retired from performing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 9:05 pm

She wasn't the prettiest lady, even in her younger days.

But her "ladyship" certainly stood out. She was a very graceful sort.

She's recovered enough from her stroke to be singing professionally again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 9:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She wasn't the prettiest lady, even in her younger days. But her "ladyship" certainly stood out. She was a very graceful sort. She's recovered enough from her stroke to be singing professionally again.

she was pretty to me :heart: glad to hear she recovered from that. :)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 9:57 pm

I realize I'm too young to say it, but that same music was the soundtrack for my childhood too (at least, on my dad's side LOL). I remember LOVING that song as a 20-something... Still have brief bursts of hopeful energy and hear it play in my head... I wish it had turned out to be more prophetic.

Maybe it did, and I'm just a nasty middle-aged cynic. I don't know.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 10:10 pm

"reach out of the darkness" has a regular rotation on my playlist :dj:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:58 pm

...If you mean " Reach Out In The Darkness ", why do you think that it would be?

ASPartOfMe wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
I wasn't even thought of yet during the summer of '67. My PARENTS were still in their early to mid teens.

My folks ran the gamut from straight-laced conservatives through hippies to SDS and Weather Underground types. I grew up hearing about all of it, and kind of caught in a time-warp due to the fact that, for the back-to-the-land, peace-love-and-cannabis hippie contingent anyway, the Sixties never ended.

I wish we could have tempered some of that idealism with a realistic acknowledgement about the downright shittiness of human nature, and kept that sentiment alive. I think we'd have a better society.

Other than that, all I can say is... It sounds eerily familiar. Very much like the times we're living in, minus a lot of the laid-back optimism.

God I'm tired.

This song came out in '68. If it came out now it would be torn apart on social media.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:01 pm

...BB, when you described some in your family as " Weather Underground " types, I kind of scanned it for a second as " VELVET Underground " types ! :o An entirely different side of the 60s r'n'r culture, " Waiting For My Man " and Venus In Furs " and " Heroin " - altogether :lol: ! !! !! !! !! !!

uote="BuyerBeware"]I realize I'm too young to say it, but that same music was the soundtrack for my childhood too (at least, on my dad's side LOL). I remember LOVING that song as a 20-something... Still have brief bursts of hopeful energy and hear it play in my head... I wish it had turned out to be more prophetic.

Maybe it did, and I'm just a nasty middle-aged cynic. I don't know.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 6:19 pm

Nowadays, if some guy called another guy out of the blue like the guy did to the other guy in the song, the caller might be accused of "stalking" the "callee."

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 6:06 pm

...I think we commented earlier in this line (I don't have time to look) about the African-American ghetto riots of the 60s , I meant to say this then ~ Regarding " the blacks rebelling " , my father, who rode the commuter train in from Westchester to Grand Central in NYC every work day, a train which always stops at the Harlem, 125th St., station before or after GC, told me years later that: (1) When Malcolm X was murdered, he was relieved when the (accused, later convicted, IIRC) killer was himself as African-American and, It think, (2) there was some nervousness when the train stopped at 125th whether there would be an invasion of the train! Or maybe after MLK's murder?
I remember being told of MLK's murder by my mother, in the morning, as I readied to go to school (It was in May ~ still school days then?? ~ IIRC). My father, as a TV news business person, was in the Ambassador Hotel in L.A. when Bobby Kennedy was shot, but was on duty taking place of his company (NBC)'s video room (Video rooms and film rooms were separate then .), on another floor, and so did not see the tragedy.
A movie (acted) about the '67 Detroit riots is coming out ~ I saw two recent 50th-anniversary wire-service stories about the Detroit riots in the papers here, a general look back, and a look at how Motown Records, then in their heyday and still located in the Motor City then, was affected.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 7:09 pm

King was killed on April 4th, 1968. Never forget that day.

New York City, for the most part, avoided riots. Black leaders appealed for calm.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 7:29 pm

ASS-P wrote:
A movie (acted) about the '67 Detroit riots is coming out ~ I saw two recent 50th-anniversary wire-service stories about the Detroit riots in the papers here, a general look back, and a look at how Motown Records, then in their heyday and still located in the Motor City then, was affected.

Kathryn Bigelow's "Detroit" centered on the Algiers Motel Incident during the riots.
d

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 7:34 pm

...I assumed it was Bigelow, though I didn't remember her name (I remembered " Oh , that war movie that won its female director an Oscar. It's her. "). Cynical bastard comment~Will the Detroit movie have a subplot where Shia Lebeouf is a draft-avioding National Guardsman in Detroit for the riots and Morgan Freeman is a crusty old Spanish-American War vet and, under attack by rioters, they both hide out together and bond and sing " If I Had A Hammer "~? :P

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:45 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 2:19 am

Raptor wrote:

I cannot envision you with flowers in your hair.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman