Page 1 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 12:55 pm

Homemade film from the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco center of the hippies, sex, drugs, rock and roll, uber optimism and idealism. Scenes like this proliferated in locales around the Western World

As the 50th anniversary of the "Summer Of Love" memories roll out this is the 1967 America you will see but there was an opposite America going on concurrently.

Newark Riots one of 159 riots in America that year

There was a third America where there will be no retrospectives documentaries made, any memories are on home films many thrown out long ago. This America went to work and school, still wore a shirt and tie and was confused about it all.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:12 am

for the most part, people only care about their own, if they are about anybody at all outside of themselves. it's a cold, dog-eat-dog world we made for ourselves. I would have to guess the almighty is not impressed at us.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:06 pm

...In 1967 I was 7 years old and the first I ever heard of the Haight-Asbury thing was in a later '67 issue of MAD! The cover showed Alfred as a hippie, and there was a piece " sung to the tune of " the " You Got Trouble " song from The Music Man about " you got trouble - a bathtub in the Haight-Asbury "! :lol: :P :mrgreen:
The Mad writers were not hippie types - at the most, say, they were Adlai-JFK-style liberal Democrats, I'd think. :wink:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:37 pm

I first learned about "hippies" when I was 7, in 1968. I was too younger in 1967 to understand about the Counterculture---and even peace, love, flowers, and all that.

Many things became clearer when I was 7.

When I was 6, "Up, Up Away" by the 5th Dimension, and "Georgy Girl" by the Seekers were my favorite songs, and were played on the radio all the time.

I liked the idealism of the hippies; I didn't like how they smelled, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:10 pm

I remember in the summer of 1968, I was in the backseat of the family rambler ambassador station wagon, and my dad was at the wheel, we drove by some hippies who were walking along the side of the road in Spanaway park, and my dad stuck his head out the window and hollered at them, "YOU G*DD*MN NO-GOOD LONG-HAIRED HIPPIES!!" and I didn't really understand why he was so mad at them when they hadn't done him any harm. that was my first exposure to them semi-directly, other than a 2nd or 3rd hand report of them on the radio newscast, when the newscaster [am guessing it was 1965] was talking about long-haired pot-smoking student protesters on the Berkeley campus. in my little 4-year old head I was picturing long-haired young adults with pot handles sticking out from their mouths.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:17 pm

1967 is vivid to me.

Was 12, so the nation changed at the same time I transitioned from gradeschool to Junior high.

Rock music changed. Movies changed. Adult themes began to appear in movies. Graphic arts became more colorful. A friend concurred with that and said that even pro baseball uniforms got neon at that moment.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:29 pm

^^^ TV also changed that year, there were more adult themes on TV that year also. the movies changed starting in the early 60s when more producers shucked the MPAA certification and presented relatively adult themes that the motion picture production code ["hays office"] previously banned. 1967 was the first year where graphic violence was shown on-screen. it was the first year the "F-word" was spoken in a movie ("i'll never forget whatisname"). ironically, the F-word was used on a live BBC broadcast in 1965, spoken by critic Kenneth Tynan. it was the first and only full year that a MPAA-sanctioned de-facto movie rating system, General or Adults-only (via a red Suggested for Mature Audiences tag in ads and movie trailers which mandated 18+ only attendance) was in effect.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:32 pm

The Oakland A's, in 1968, had the first "neon" uniforms.

They were the Kansas City A's in 1967, and had dull, "normal" uniforms.

The 1970s and 1980s were the heyday of "neon" uniforms.

Movies were rated "X," "M," or "G" in those days. PG didn't start until the 1970s.

"The Graduate" came out in 1968, and was the main "hush-hush" movie in my parents' circle; they only talked about it when kids weren't around. When they visited me at camp in 1968, they had just seen "The Graduate."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:43 pm

I used to hate some of the hippie stuff---like singalongs around the campfire.

I had a love/hate relationship with "If I had a Hammer." I liked the song, but not the context where it was sung. It was like they were forcing conformity and religion down my throat. And socialization down my throat.

Even "Kumbaya" was annoying then. It was a sort of "forced socialization" thing."

Hippie types used to try to get me to be social and to sing those songs. And to like Nature. And to do "Arts and Farts."

I just wanted to play softball or read a book.

In 1967, my father bought a spanking new Oldsmobile Delta 88. It smelled so nice. And was so comfortable. The previous car, a 1963 Mercury Comet, had lots of pollution coming out of its butt.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 10 Jul 2017, 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:46 pm

^^^ "R" also :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:49 pm

"R" replaced "M" about 1969-1970, I believe.

I know that when there was an "M," there wasn't an "R."

In 1970, we got bigger tokens for the subway, too, and it went up to 30 cents.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:51 pm

times surely were simpler back then.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm

The hippies I knew did not sing or dance. They were either easy-going stoners or political intellectuals.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 10:11 pm

Yep. There were those types of hippies, too. I saw them more a little later. Early 70s.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 10:11 pm

in the late 60s I remember watching a tv news report [on the "Huntley/Brinkley report" on NBC] about a long-haired GI who refused to cut his hair back to regulation butch, who eventually was court-martialed, busted back to private and put in 2 years of hard labor and dishonorable discharge.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm

My father used to tell my brother to "get a haircut!"

My brother used to go to Vietnam War protests.

He became a Rush Limbaugh type later.